Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid 2.3 times the size of dinosaur heading for Earth - NASA

Black Red Devil

The asteroid in question has been designated 2022 PW and is currently heading in our direction. 

The asteroid in question will pass by on August 16, 2022, as noted by the Center for Near-Earth Object Studies (CNEOS) at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), specifically at the speed of 7.47 kilometers per second, which equates to 26,892 kilometers per hour. It also is roughly equal to nearly 22 times the speed of sound.

What is especially noteworthy about this asteroid heading near Earth, however, is the distance.

According to NASA's CNEOS, the asteroid 2022 PW is set to pass the Earth at a distance of approximately 529,000 kilometers.

To put that in perspective, the Moon on average orbits the Earth at a distance of around 384,000 kilometers. 

link

:( But, there's good news. Keep reading in the link.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

A bit cheesy they now compare asteroid size to a dinosaur.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, the13bats said:

A bit cheesy they now compare asteroid size to a dinosaur.

I think they mean the dinosaur killer, Chicxulub or whatever.\, but  the thread title is a bit misleading.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I think they mean the dinosaur killer, Chicxulub or whatever.\, but  the thread title is a bit misleading.

Yeah they were hoping that people were not paying attention and thought it was saying the size of the one that killed the dinos.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

They're talking about a literal dinosaur.

How big is the asteroid coming towards Earth in 2022?

Luckily, not that big. 

According to NASA's CNEOS, asteroid 2022 PW has an estimated diameter that could be as wide as 51 meters.

For context, the long-necked sauropod dinosaur known as Brachiosaurus is thought by scientists to have been as long as 22 meters, which is around 2.3 times smaller.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

The thread title was copied and pasted from the article but I agree, it could have been more specific.  The important part is that it's not going to stopover on planet Earth and wouldn't do too much damage if it did.

But this below is the best news:

When is the next asteroid predicted to hit the Earth?

Not for a long time, at the very least.

Luckily for us, we're safe from anything for now. In fact, NASA has declared the Earth free of risk of any catastrophic asteroid impacts for the next century.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

They're talking about a literal dinosaur.

How big is the asteroid coming towards Earth in 2022?

Luckily, not that big. 

According to NASA's CNEOS, asteroid 2022 PW has an estimated diameter that could be as wide as 51 meters.

For context, the long-necked sauropod dinosaur known as Brachiosaurus is thought by scientists to have been as long as 22 meters, which is around 2.3 times smaller.

Thanks for the clarification. I was too hasty.  It makes the story a bit more ludicrous.  Since nobody has really seen a brachiosaurus, what has been the standards measurement comparison for sauropods and other large creatures but busses.   Diplodocus was a s long as 3 school busses for example.  After all, the US doesn't even do metric well much less sauropod units.

How big is the asteroid in standard city bus units?

News headlines are never accurate.