Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists are planning multimillion-dollar resurrection of the Tasmanian tiger

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Scientists in Australia and the US have launched an ambitious multimillion-dollar project to bring back the thylacine, a marsupial that died out in the 1930s, and reintroduce it to its native Tasmania.

The thylacine, also known as the Tasmanian tiger, is the second undertaking by Colossal, a Texas-based biotechnology “de-extinction” company that last year announced it planned to use genetic engineering techniques to recreate the woolly mammoth and return it to the Arctic tundra.

Its new project is a partnership with the University of Melbourne, which earlier this year received a $5m philanthropic gift to open a thylacine genetic restoration lab. The lab’s team has previously sequenced the genome of a juvenile specimen held by Museums Victoria, providing what its leader, Prof Andrew Pask, called “a complete blueprint on how to essentially build a thylacine”.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/aug/16/de-extinction-scientists-are-planning-the-multimillion-dollar-resurrection-of-the-tasmanian-tiger

Related:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, HSlim said:

I mean, how could this EVER go wrong

If it's just original DNA and not "enhanced" or anything, nothing will go wrong.

I highly doubt they will ever bring back enough of anything to repopulate an extinct species, but have fun trying. Poachers alone will put a stop to that real quick. The first mammoth they bring back to the wild will be shot dead in 2.5 seconds.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems like we hear this sort of thing, once every ten years or so, yet nothing ever comes of it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Seems like we hear this sort of thing, once every ten years or so, yet nothing ever comes of it.

Ive heard it for decades but then again i never believed in 82 i would hold a computer in my hand etc i wish them luck.

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hope they succeed.   

Me too.

the tiger was killed off by man we owe them iirc the mammoths died out from a changing world if so then like john malcome said they had their chance.

Edited by the13bats
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, Hammerclaw said:

If I only had $5 for every time I heard a company was going to resurrect an extinct species... It the mammoth resurrection still experiencing holdups about the ethics of making the Asian elephant carry the mammoth?  What is even a comparable surrogate to a tasmanian tiger? 

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Why the Idea of Bringing the Tasmanian Tiger Back From Extinction Draws So Much Controversy

Hopes aside, a lot needs to go right for thylacines to once again prowl Tasmania, and the project has faced pushback from several different fronts. Some critics say the researchers need to be consulting Indigenous Australians now, before the project gets more deeply underway. Others have expressed concern that the headline-grabbing prospect of de-extinction will shift resources and attention away from the protection of still-living threatened species

Still others worry about the treatment of the animals used throughout the research project, as well as the eventual quality of life of any proxy thylacines that actually come to fruition. Some scientists also hold ethical concerns around genome editing in general.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scientists-want-to-bring-back-the-tasmanian-tiger-extinct-since-1936-180980604/

If US biotech firm Colossal Biosciences and the The University of Melbourne succeed to bring the thylacine back from extinction, how accurately would this 1933 footage of the last captive Tasmanian tiger, colourised by the NFSA and Composite Films represent a genetic restoration?

https://www.facebook.com/100064779393889/videos/1507055606414991/?__so__=watchlist&__rv__=video_home_www_playlist_video_list

• Like 2