Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Philosophy meets Quantum Physics - The world is contextual

Frank_Hoenedge

Link to full article on Quanta Magazine’s site

Quote:

Perhaps the most famously weird feature of quantum mechanics is nonlocality: Measure one particle in an entangled pair whose partner is miles away, and the measurement seems to rip through the intervening space to instantaneously affect its partner. This “spooky action at a distance” (as Albert Einstein called it) has been the main focus of tests of quantum theory.

“Nonlocality is spectacular. I mean, it’s like magic,” said Adán Cabello, a physicist at the University of Seville in Spain.

But Cabello and others are interested in investigating a lesser-known but equally magical aspect of quantum mechanics: contextuality. Contextuality says that properties of particles, such as their position or polarization, exist only within the context of a measurement. Instead of thinking of particles’ properties as having fixed values, consider them more like words in language, whose meanings can change depending on the context.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

15 hours ago, cognition said:

Hi, thanks for the post. I am totally new to Quantum mechanics, please suggest some material. 

Im more into mathematics, physics, chemistry and psychology as those are the subjects where my credits lie..

I’m sure others can help, there are some fully versed post-grads here.