Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida court rules that 16 year old is not mature enough to have an abortion

spartan max2

What a joke. 16 is not "mature " to have an abortion, but apparently it is mature enough to become a parent. 

In Florida minors need the consent of parents to have an abortion.

A pregnant and parentless 16-year-old in Florida may be forced to give birth after an appeals court ruled she was not “sufficiently mature to decide whether to terminate her pregnancy.”

The teenager, who is identified in court papers as Jane Doe 22-B, was appealing a decision by Circuit Judge Jennifer Frydrychowicz on Aug. 10 that blocked her from having an abortion without the consent of a parent or guardian, as required by Florida law.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-court-says-teen-not-mature-enough-abortion-rcna43344

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

What a joke. 16 is not "mature " to have an abortion, but apparently it is mature enough to become a parent. 

In Florida minors need the consent of parents to have an abortion.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-court-says-teen-not-mature-enough-abortion-rcna43344

I think that is reasonable.   16 year olds have to have consent of a parent in order to get a learners permit to drive a car, in some states have to have a parent's permission to get married, and many other things so this is not inconsistent with the rest of the laws of most states in the U.S. 

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I think that is reasonable.   16 year olds have to have consent of a parent in order to get a learners permit to drive a car, in some states have to have a parent's permission to get married, and many other things so this is not inconsistent with the rest of the laws of most states in the U.S.

Parents shouldn't have the power to force their daughter to have a child. 

How do you find that reasonable ? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I find it reasonable legally conpared to other laws that 16 year olds have to have a parent's signature for.  I don't know what your beef is, have you had to raise a kid you didn't want?  Usually a 16 year old that has a kid because the parents "forced" them to runs off after the kid is born and the parents end up raising that kid, so maybe you need to take a breath.   Breath in slowly, and deep, then hold it for 2 seconds before you let it out slowly.

• Like 5

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I find it reasonable legally conpared to other laws that 16 year olds have to have a parent's signature for.  I don't know what your beef is, have you had to raise a kid you didn't want?  Usually a 16 year old that has a kid because the parents "forced" them to runs off after the kid is born and the parents end up raising that kid, so maybe you need to take a breath.   Breath in slowly, and deep, then hold it for 2 seconds before you let it out slowly.

? I asked a pretty straight forward question that was not a personal attack. Perhaps you need to take a deep breath...

If a kid is not 'mature" enough to get an abortion than they sure aren't "mature" enough to be a parent and go through pregnancy.

This seems like a law created by people in the 1920s. Minors do have rights. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

? I asked a pretty straight forward question that was not a personal attack. Perhaps you need to take a deep breath...

If a kid is not 'mature" enough to get an abortion than they sure aren't "mature" enough to be a parent and go through pregnancy.

This seems like a law created by people in the 1920s. Minors do have rights. 

I agree with that, but I also believe that the laws making 16 year olds still considered children are correct for the most part, and like I said, 16 year olds do not usually raise a kid on their own, unless their family is so messed up that they are already on the street.  In cases like that there should be some exceptions, some way to help a pregnant 16 year old who is homeless and has no family, if there isn't, that IS a problem.

And by the way, in most states in the U.S. the laws about minors varied from 12 to 16 depending on the state.   So don't bring up something from the 1920s, it is not relevant.   In the 70's there were still states that allowed a 13 year old girl to marry without parental permission.   Most of those laws have been changed because in these times it is obvious a 13 year old is not old enough to be someone's wife.

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree with that, but I also believe that the laws making 16 year olds still considered children are correct for the most part, and like I said, 16 year olds do not usually raise a kid on their own, unless their family is so messed up that they are already on the street.  In cases like that there should be some exceptions, some way to help a pregnant 16 year old who is homeless and has no family, if there isn't, that IS a problem.

And by the way, in most states in the U.S. the laws about minors varied from 12 to 16 depending on the state.   So don't bring up something from the 1920s, it is not relevant.   In the 70's there were still states that allowed a 13 year old girl to marry without parental permission.   Most of those laws have been changed because in these times it is obvious a 13 year old is not old enough to be someone's wife.

Some parents help. Some parents are abusive. Its irrelevant.

Minors should have the right to control their own reproduction and be able to get an abortion. They shouldn't need parental consent to get birth control or condemns either.  Minors have rights, they aren't jus property. Florida's law really seems barbaric to me.

I agree about the 1920s, it was too far back. Humans have been making dumb laws much more recent than that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Aside from rape, incest, extreme medical issues people need to learn how to live with their gosh darn mistakes, learn from them and do right by them especially when it's another human life paying the ultimate price for another's mistake. Yes, even 16 year olds.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

16 year olds are also not mature enough to consent to having sex….

If she cannot give consent, does that mean she was raped in the eyes of the law?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Aside from rape, incest, extreme medical issues people need to learn how to live with their gosh darn mistakes, learn from them and do right by them especially when it's another human life paying the ultimate price for another's mistake. Yes, even 16 year olds.

Trouble is, the child could be the one that pays for that mistake for the rest of their life. Will the father of the child also be 'paying for his mistake'? Probably not. The girl in question has no parents.

It's all very well being pro-life, but pro-lifers tend not to see beyond the birth of a child. An unwanted child has it's whole life to live, and gets off to the worst possible start.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

16 year olds are also not mature enough to consent to having sex….

16 year old is the age of consent in Ohio as long as it's a minor with a minor. I'm not sure about Florida.

But regardless I'm not quite sure what the relevance is?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I completely disagree. A 16 year old does not need to "live with their mistake" when we have the technology to safety and easily give the kid a choice about her future.

There is healthy argument about what point in a pregnancy something could be considered a human life. But I don't think anyone could argue that the first couple months is anything more than a clump of cells that have zero awareness or viability.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If she cannot give consent, does that mean she was raped in the eyes of the law?

https://www.ageofconsent.net/states/florida

The Florida Age of Consent is 18 years old. In the United States, the age of consent is the minimum age at which an individual is considered legally old enough to consent to participation in sexual activity. Individuals aged 17 or younger in Florida are not legally able to consent to sexual activity, and such activity may result in prosecution for statutory rape.

Florida statutory rape law is violated when a person has consensual sexual intercourse with an individual under Age 18. Close in age exemptions exist, allowing minors aged 16 or 17 to engage in sexual intercourse with a partner no older than age 23.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

But I don't think anyone could argue that the first couple months is anything more than a clump of cells that have zero awareness or viability.

I would argue that, but not with people such as yourself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I would argue that, but not with people such as yourself.

Well thanks for your contribution :rolleyes:

Even if someone is pro-life at the point of conception. They should still agree that it is messed up for Florida to allow adults to have abortions while restricting minors. 

If you're too immature to have an abortion than you're not mature enough to be a parent.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Trouble is, the child could be the one that pays for that mistake for the rest of their life. Will the father of the child also be 'paying for his mistake'? Probably not. The girl in question has no parents.

It's all very well being pro-life, but pro-lifers tend not to see beyond the birth of a child. An unwanted child has it's whole life to live, and gets off to the worst possible start.

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I completely disagree. A 16 year old does not need to "live with their mistake" when we have the technology to safety and easily give the kid a choice about her future.

There is healthy argument about what point in a pregnancy something could be considered a human life. But I don't think anyone could argue that the first couple months is anything more than a clump of cells that have zero awareness or viability.

I know it's not a simple black and white subject but you can't just leave a 16 year old in that position to make a detrimental decision all on their own. Regardless, it's a terrible scenario to face for everyone involved.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I know it's not a simple black and white subject but you can't just leave a 16 year old in that position to make a detrimental decision all on their own. Regardless, it's a terrible scenario to face for everyone involved.

Requiring parental consent takes that decision away from the teenager. Its not adding any help, it just makes it no longer their choice. A significant life decision is no longer up to the individual.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, F3SS said:

Of course she should have some impartial advice but the final decision should be hers. It's usually easier to live with, and move on from, bad decisions you have made yourself, rather than taking anothers advice against your will.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

Will we help them, for their sakes as well as the sake of the child?  Or will we just turn our backs as a society and say deal with it?

Will we watch a 16 year old boy drop out of school to get a job to support his child and lock both he and the child into low wage poverty for the rest of his life?  Will we be proud of his honesty and compliment him on his sense of responsibility then turn our backs when the child is hungry or needs medical care or school clothes?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

In this case if there is no legal guardian then she should be legally considered emancipated and have the ability to make the choice of an adult.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Will we help them, for their sakes as well as the sake of the child?  Or will we just turn our backs as a society and say deal with it?

Will we watch a 16 year old boy drop out of school to get a job to support his child and lock both he and the child into low wage poverty for the rest of his life?  Will we be proud of his honesty and compliment him on his sense of responsibility then turn our backs when the child is hungry or needs medical care or school clothes?

Ok fine, then would you tell such a person to their face they'd be better off dead? 

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

A significant life decision is no longer up to the individual.

Now, in many states, that is not limited to teenagers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1