Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy, six, dies in India after throat cut by banned glass-coated kite string

Still Waters

A six-year-old boy has died after his throat was cut by a stray glass-coated kite string as he rode on a scooter with his father in Ludhiana, north India.

Daksh Giri was standing on the scooter on Tuesday, wedged between the steering unit and his father, when they drove into a plastic kite string coated with powdered glass. The string became wrapped around his neck, cutting his throat. Daksh died later in hospital.

Such deaths have become frequent at this time of year when India celebrates its independence from Britain by flying kites.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/18/boy-six-dies-india-throat-cut-glass-coated-kite-string

• Sad 1

Who in God's green earth does this? Was it to make the string sparkle in the sun???!!!. Never heard of this in my life! I've never heard of this through all the centuries people have been flying kites. What is wrong with those people?

3 minutes ago, HollyDolly said:

Who in God's green earth does this? Was it to make the string sparkle in the sun???!!!. Never heard of this in my life! I've never heard of this through all the centuries people have been flying kites. What is wrong with those people?

Manja string is coated so that one can try cutting the opponents kite free during kite competitions or duels. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

Kite fighting goes on all across Asia.  Strings are coated to cut the strings of other kites. 

• Like 1