Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How much money do we each need to satisfy our desires?

Eldorado

Money can’t buy happiness. Many of us are told this at some point in our lives, but that doesn’t seem to stop many people from wanting more of it – even very rich people. The question is, how much money do we each need to satisfy our desires?

Economists often treat people as having unlimited economic wants but limited resources to satisfy them – a foundational economic concept known as scarcity. This idea is often presented as a basic fact about human nature. Our recently published research found instead that only a minority of people actually have unlimited wants, and that most would be happy with a limited, if still significant, sum of money.

We surveyed people about this issue in 33 countries spanning all inhabited continents, obtaining responses from about 8,000 people in total. We encouraged participants to focus on what it would mean to have all their wants fulfilled by asking them to imagine their “absolutely ideal life”, without worrying about whether it was realistically achievable.

https://theconversation.com/how-much-money-do-people-want-to-achieve-their-ideal-life-our-research-gave-a-surprising-result-186250?

• Like 3

I'd be happy with living above the poverty level and not paying 70% of my income on rent. Anyone with a pulse I'm sure has thought (who isn't rich already) what it would be like to have money. Honestly I would love to own a house. I'd love to replace my 10 year old wheelchair, my 8 year old tablet that's dying, and get some new clothes (haven't bought a new article of clothing in six years). Money doesn't buy happiness, but it does or can alleviate stress. And I'm not trying to sound pathetic, or needy, this is just reality, and so what amount of money would make my life amazing is small. Someone else might require millions who knows. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it does or can alleviate stress.

That is a truth right there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Its interesting isnt it?  One of the main causes of stress also alleviates it. The trap within capitalism

Edited by khol
  • Like 2

This is one of those subjects that is hard for me, i gave up dreams and desires long ago i just want to get by and in some ways i am super lucky in other ways not so much so, i would be delighted to have a bit more $$$ than i now have coming in as i live payday to payday most weeks running out so a tad more i could take care of my versions of like what DML said she would like.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Money can’t buy happiness. Many of us are told this at some point in our lives, but that doesn’t seem to stop many people from wanting more of it – even very rich people. The question is, how much money do we each need to satisfy our desires?

Economists often treat people as having unlimited economic wants but limited resources to satisfy them – a foundational economic concept known as scarcity. This idea is often presented as a basic fact about human nature. Our recently published research found instead that only a minority of people actually have unlimited wants, and that most would be happy with a limited, if still significant, sum of money.

We surveyed people about this issue in 33 countries spanning all inhabited continents, obtaining responses from about 8,000 people in total. We encouraged participants to focus on what it would mean to have all their wants fulfilled by asking them to imagine their “absolutely ideal life”, without worrying about whether it was realistically achievable.

https://theconversation.com/how-much-money-do-people-want-to-achieve-their-ideal-life-our-research-gave-a-surprising-result-186250?

Money does make people happy, you have no stresses over making ends meet and can enjoy nice things.

The above is an ego defence.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:33 PM, Tatetopa said:

Hi Tatetope

It might not change as new stresses would appear so one would still have stress especially if they feed on stress.. 

Over the years of renovating homes there have always some customers that experience stress issues over simple decisions or that really didn’t know if they made the right decision until we came to the end of their project as well as satisfied with the end product. Then move onto something else to stress about.

Side note

Many became repeat clients so didn’t have to deal with their stress because they trusted  me. I would still see them stress over other stuff while working there and sometimes a contractor is like being a barber, bartender or a shrink/social worker and no I don’t babysit either.:lol:

• Like 1

It's rather subjective isn't it? Personally, I can get by with very little infact I'm quite satisfied now. Others wouldn't understand that. That's not to say I've found some secret, but desire Itself is a subjective term.

I'm always weary of studies like this 8k is a rather small sample out of 8 billion