Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Foreign workers will be hired 'on a mass scale' to plug gaps in Britain's care homes

Silver

Posted (edited)

Government ministers are drawing up plans to hire thousands of foreign workers to cover staff shortages in care homes this winter amid concerns over the state of the NHS and social care in the UK. 

Health Secretary Steve Barclay told civil servants earlier this month to 'significantly increase' overseas recruitment of health and social care staff while streamlining hiring and regulatory procedures to ship in replacements. 

Under Barclay's plans, NHS managers may be sent as far as India and the Philippines to bolster the worldwide recruitment drive, which he said was essential to ensure social care services are maintained ahead of a winter 'sprint', The Times reports. 

Foreign workers will be hired 'on a mass scale' to plug gaps in Britain's care homes | Daily Mail Online

Edited by Silver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why does the NHS have such a problem getting British employees?  Is it pay or overwork?  I can't imagine having a disabled or elderly loved one being cared for by people who, despite their potentially good intentions cannot effectively communicate.

• Like 5

And will each and every one of these thousands of foreign workers have up-to-date and thorough background checks before they go anywhere near patients? No, I didn't think so.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, and-then said:

Why does the NHS have such a problem getting British employees?  Is it pay or overwork?

12 hour shifts @ £10.50 per hour cleaning faeces and urine. And you will regularly be punched, kicked, scratched, verbally abused and even sexually assaulted.

There are shop assistants who earn more and they don't need to pass a criminal background check or study for health & social care diplomas on their days off.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, and-then said:

Why does the NHS have such a problem getting British employees?  Is it pay or overwork? 

Both 

• Like 2

Hospitality, farming, fishing, transport all have shortages as well as hospitality. (Because we don't have sufficient abattoir workers, most of the pork chops in our local Tesco's is labelled "produce of Denmark. Packaged in Germany" ,while about 100 thousand British pigs had to be culled as they were getting too big to slaughter and too expensive to feed). 

Although the total numbers of immigrants remains the same as before Brexit, we are now taking people from Asia and Africa, and these are people who meet the new immigration criteria (have to be earning £26k per year, qualified to at least A Level standard, and have a certain level of savings) and are allowed to settle permanently. So the new rules exclude European seasonal workers, whatever industry they worked in.

I know Rishi and Liz keep banging on about getting people into work and off benefits, but I can't see how someone from, say, the North, can go to live in a caravan in Kent for 6 months picking fruit on minimum wage. There are practical problems like child care and other care respsonsibilities. In the past Romanians and Ukrainians would come for three or four years each season to build up some money for a deposit in their own country. It worked for our farmers and for them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, and-then said:

Why does the NHS have such a problem getting British employees?  Is it pay or overwork?  I can't imagine having a disabled or elderly loved one being cared for by people who, despite their potentially good intentions cannot effectively communicate.

The NHS is a giant political animal. I5 is impossible to overfund and this drives leftists agendas. Couple that with a seriously mismanaged structure and you quickly discover that it is a woeful organisation. Great in an emergency but out of its depth in chronic cases despite a workforce who want to do well. There is then the persistent, "we are overworked" mantra that must be adopted to fit in with the rest of the workforce. I sat inA&E with a relative with a great trauma team who all said how overworked they are, trouble is they had 3 patients in 5 hours! I am sure they get busy but they assured me they were so busy that day. They really weren't.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

The NHS is a giant political animal. I5 is impossible to overfund and this drives leftists agendas. Couple that with a seriously mismanaged structure and you quickly discover that it is a woeful organisation. Great in an emergency but out of its depth in chronic cases despite a workforce who want to do well. There is then the persistent, "we are overworked" mantra that must be adopted to fit in with the rest of the workforce. I sat inA&E with a relative with a great trauma team who all said how overworked they are, trouble is they had 3 patients in 5 hours! I am sure they get busy but they assured me they were so busy that day. They really weren't.

There are roughly 5,500 different care operators in the UK

84% of care homes are privately run, a slight increase from the 82% in 2015.

13% are run by charities, such as MHA and 3% by local councils.

https://www.carezee.co.uk/supportandinsights/the-largest-care-home-providers-in-the-uk

Edited by Eldorado

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Can you say what hospital or town/city that was? It is an incredible story.

Edited by Silver

This is the root cause of our economic woes, Covid and Ukraine are simply additional factors:

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, and-then said:

Its a similar situation in the US. A few years back I worked for my city's aging services.

Most of the aide agencies ( the people who go into homes and help old people by doing their chores and such) are staffed by immigrants. Because the pay is low and the work is stressful.

Some of the elderly were unhappy about the language barrier as well.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6

I think, though I hope I am wrong, that the UK is going to struggle more than most advanced economies:

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Eldorado said:

12 hour shifts @ £10.50 per hour cleaning faeces and urine. And you will regularly be punched, kicked, scratched, verbally abused and even sexually assaulted.

There are shop assistants who earn more and they don't need to pass a criminal background check or study for health & social care diplomas on their days off.

You really want people who are going to be taking care of your elderly to have a criminal background check and good training. They are very vulnerable. I worked in nursing facilities for almost 30 years and in most, even an outside contractor like the guy who drives the truck and delivers produce to the kitchen must have a criminal background check to enter the building.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, and-then said:

Great question for close to home.  Have you ever had a loved one in a senior care facility in the US?  There are lots of Filipino and other Asian help in our area.  They speak English, they took great care of my father-in-law for 12 years.  American teens volunteer, they are great too, but Americans on staff are mostly minority.  The facilities don't pay the staff much.  Even the trained nurses quit when they get a better job..   Visiting a couple of times a week for 12 years, I got to meet a lot of them.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Great question for close to home.  Have you ever had a loved one in a senior care facility in the US?  There are lots of Filipino and other Asian help in our area.  They speak English, they took great care of my father-in-law for 12 years.  American teens volunteer, they are great too, but Americans on staff are mostly minority.  The facilities don't pay the staff much.  Even the trained nurses quit when they get a better job..   Visiting a couple of times a week for 12 years, I got to meet a lot of them.  

I've worked with people from all over the place. Philippines, Ghana, Egypt, Czech Republic, even Belarus. And what a team we were! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1