Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia fights release of Bali bombmaker

Eldorado

Umar Patek was jailed for 20 years in 2012 after being found guilty of helping mix the bombs used to inflict mass murder at two tourist bars on the island in 2002.

He was a member of al-Qaeda-linked militant group Jemaah Islamiyah, and was also sentenced for his part in bombing churches in Jakarta.

Patek has been given a five-month cut in his sentence to mark Indonesia's independence day, making him now eligible for parole, said Australian prime minister Anthony Albanese.

It's one of several cuts in his sentence he's received, but it's not yet been confirmed whether the parole will be granted.

Eighty-eight Australians, 38 Indonesians and 23 Britons were among those killed when a suicide bomber triggered his device inside Paddy's Irish bar on 12 October 2002.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/australia-fights-release-of-bali-bombmaker-who-helped-kill-202-people-at-tourist-bars/ar-AA10PN8H?

In Indonesia a gram of Marijuana would get you more time than this..

• Like 4

Six months, max, before something explodes courtesy of him.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Umar Patek was jailed for 20 years in 2012 after being found guilty of helping mix the bombs used to inflict mass murder at two tourist bars on the island in 2002.

He was a member of al-Qaeda-linked militant group Jemaah Islamiyah, and was also sentenced for his part in bombing churches in Jakarta.

Yeah, you have a little weed on you, jail for life or the death penalty.  Kill foreigners and you get a slap on the wrist.  This is what Islamic justice means. As the saying goes... "The sword of the prophet is drawn against the unbeliever, not the faithful".  This translates to the idea that in a Muslim society, justice only applies to Muslims, not people of other beliefs, and this is what it looks like in practice i.e. no rule of law worth spit, just corruption.  Religion is a curse on humanity, and Islam is the worst religion by any objective measure of evils done over time.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2

I don't know why anyone would want to go there anyway. A filthy pit.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, openozy said:

I don't know why anyone would want to go there anyway. A filthy pit.

That's true of Jakarta, but I kind of liked Bali.  They're the last surviving outpost of ancient Hinduism in the archipelago.  That makes them a bit better than the rest of the place imo.  I personally didn't mind the Australian tourists either.  Your countrymen are certainly plentiful there Openozy. 

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

That's true of Jakarta, but I kind of liked Bali.  They're the last surviving outpost of ancient Hinduism in the archipelago.  That makes them a bit better than the rest of the place imo.  I personally didn't mind the Australian tourists either.  Your countrymen are certainly plentiful there Openozy. 

A lot of people I know have been there and have horror stories to tell. Never appealed to me as I hate humidity and lots of people around me, lol.

• Haha 1