Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who exactly has permission to mine resources on the Moon ?

UM-Bot

Nobody has permission! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Edited by Rolltide
  • Haha 3

It should be anyone that can get there and do it.  At least at first.  Let's not hamper the technological ability to mine the moon (which is going to be difficult) by telling people or nations they aren't allowed to do so.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It should be anyone that can get there and do it.  At least at first.  Let's not hamper the technological ability to mine the moon (which is going to be difficult) by telling people or nations they aren't allowed to do so.

Shouldn't be anyone doing it.  We've already ****ed up our own planet, so we need to go **** up the moon too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HSlim said:

Shouldn't be anyone doing it.  We've already ****ed up our own planet, so we need to go **** up the moon too?

How are we going to **** up the moon?  That's ridiculous at this point in time.  Should we have banned the development of obsidian and flint knives because that tool ultimately led us to where we are now?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

Who could possibly claim to be the Arbiter of deciding and dispensing permission?

This dumb is strong with this bot.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, OverSword said:

How are we going to **** up the moon?  That's ridiculous at this point in time.  Should we have banned the development of obsidian and flint knives because that tool ultimately led us to where we are now?

Are you serious dude?  How could we **** up the moon?  Have you seen what overmining can do?   And don't pretend that's not exactly what we would do, given the chance

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, HSlim said:

Are you serious dude?  How could we **** up the moon?  Have you seen what overmining can do?   And don't pretend that's not exactly what we would do, given the chance

Yes, that is exactly what we would do.  You are talking about an airless, lifeless hunk of silicate that is continually bombarded with deadly radiation and asteroids. How are we going to harm it?  Think of how many less resources we will depend on pulling out of the earth when we are getting them from the moon, asteroids, other planets, etc. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HSlim said:

The moon is a rock, it has no atmosphere, no life, and is relatively featureless.

There is nothing we could do to the moon that could be more devastating than the space rock impacts it has undergone.

Why not exploit it?  it’s not like any of us now or in the near future will be taking a sight seeing tour of its beautiful grey landscape, and if we did, it’s not like we would have complaints about pollution or destroying the habitats of the local clangers.  Mine the sh*** out of it, let our own home recover a bit.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yes, that is exactly what we would do.  You are talking about an airless, lifeless hunk of silicate that is continually bombarded with deadly radiation and asteroids. How are we going to harm it?  Think of how many less resources we will depend on pulling out of the earth when we are getting them from the moon, asteroids, other planets, etc. 

It affects our oceans and tides.  If we lessen the density of the moon, it could/would cause repercussions on Earth.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The Moon is a barren rock with roughly the same area as North and South America combined. It can take a little mining. Better there than here.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

It affects our oceans and tides.  If we lessen the density of the moon, it could/would cause repercussions on Earth.

Yeah, that'd be my main concern. Idk if we can mess the mass up in a way that causes us problems or not 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah, that'd be my main concern. Idk if we can mess the mass up in a way that causes us problems or not 

You know we'll find out

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

There is no way, or need,  that we could mine enough mass to effect the Moons mass to any noticeable degree  anytime soon. 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I assume the cheese miners have permission?  Though never really thought about.   Next time I meet one of the 6ft invisible pink bunnies who run the concessions for the miners, I'll ask :tu:

On the other hand, who would deny them permission?     

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

There is no way, or need,  that we could mine enough mass to effect the Moons mass to any noticeable degree  anytime soon. 

Have you seen how destructive humans are?  We have messed Earth up so badly and with mining the moon, we could mess it up even more.  No, if they want to mine, head out to the asteroid belt.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Don't worry about that, you'll be dead long before it get's to that point :D  But  seriously if it ever got to that point we would be so far off the planet and out of this solar system that we can get resources from other places as well.  The people of those times can figure that all out.

9 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Have you seen how destructive humans are?  We have messed Earth up so badly and with mining the moon, we could mess it up even more.  No, if they want to mine, head out to the asteroid belt.  

I think we are already exploring asteroid mining and re-direct missions.  I certainly think that is a more viable option for resources to be used back on earth.  The moon is a large body and lifting any resources off it wouldn’t be particularly cost effective.

But mining the moon to supply bases on the moon just makes perfect sense.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I agree that the asteroids are better suited to mining. Anyway space mining is not economically feasible anytime soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

That's what the moon will be for.  Resources and an affordable off-point to explore and exploit the rest of the solar system and beyond.

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Don't worry about that, you'll be dead long before it get's to that point :D  But  seriously if it ever got to that point we would be so far off the planet and out of this solar system that we can get resources from other places as well.  The people of those times can figure that all out.

And that thought process is what got our planet in this kind if mess.  We need to look at it today, not consign our descendents to a dead planet.  Just because we can, doesn't mean we should

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

I think we are already exploring asteroid mining and re-direct missions.  I certainly think that is a more viable option for resources to be used back on earth.  The moon is a large body and lifting any resources off it wouldn’t be particularly cost effective.

But mining the moon to supply bases on the moon just makes perfect sense.

Humans are greedy and power hungry.  I do not have faith it would stay on the moon for bases that could be established there.  

• Like 2