Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nightclub bans staring without getting 'verbal consent' first

itsnotoutthere

3 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

An Australian nightclub has banned staring without getting "verbal consent". Club 77 in Sydney warned: "Creating a safe space goes beyond implementing practices to deal with incidents after they have happened. We also have an obligation to educate new club-goers and help them understand what is considered unacceptable behaviour inside the venue and on the dance floor."

It has hired "safety officers" in pink vests to police revellers at its site. The statement added: "If you do come in and are approaching multiple people or giving unwanted attention to someone, you are going to attract the attention of our security, who have been instructed to stop this kind of behaviour."

R.jpg.f8a264560d48c82ddc901e7e29446b23.jpg

Do you have a link?

I remember from my younger pub-going days that staring could be a prelude to a fight. If you looked at someone for too long, for example to marvel at their neck and facial tattoos, you coud be challenged with" What you looking at? You want some? You want some?" like this:

Edited by Silver
  • Haha 4

Conversely, it does mean “tell that creep to stop staring at me” now has some sort of weight behind it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just to be controversial, wonder if they are going to enforce this the other way?

• Haha 5

an4w230_460s.jpg

I'm waiting for someone... 

~

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Conversely, it does mean “tell that creep to stop staring at me” now has some sort of weight behind it.

Yes... except "that creep" isn't in a deli restaurant or a movie theater, is he?  IT'S A - B A R.  Maybe these tender young souls should stay away from places known to attract men looking for female company?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, and-then said:

Yes... except "that creep" isn't in a deli restaurant or a movie theater, is he?  IT'S A - B A R.  Maybe these tender young souls should stay away from places known to attract men looking for female company?

Why? Telling a creep to wrack off is perfectly fine in a bar as much as anywhere else, and having the bar staff support you in then telling the creep to sling their hooks is a good move. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Just to be controversial, wonder if they are going to enforce this the other way?

Ohh you have to be dreaming ;)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, and-then said:

So women should not go to bars and clubs unless they sign up for the hairy eyeball?  Men looking for female company might be more successful in their quest  if their approach is something other than a creepy stare.

18 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

So women should not go to bars and clubs unless they sign up for the hairy eyeball?  Men looking for female company might be more successful in their quest  if their approach is something other than a creepy stare.

While I agree with your last sentence, we all have a friend who isn't good with the ladies.

And yes, females shouldn't go to areas where men pick up women and then get offended about it.

Whats the difference between wanted attention and unwanted attention? The attractiveness of the man?

• Like 1

Sounds like a publicity stunt. Though depends on the clientele. Most younger people go to bars to socialize or hook up. Good luck enforcing this rule with heavy drinkers. 

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 3

How are you going to see a stranger across a crowded room on some enchanted evening, if you aren't allowed to look at them? Romance is dead.

Edited by Silver
  • Like 2

Australia and UK are ridiculous with the amount of laws they have . If I was a citizen of these countries, I'd break the rules  every day with the middle finger sticking up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Australia and UK are ridiculous with the amount of laws they have . If I was a citizen of these countries, I'd break the rules  every day with the middle finger sticking up.

Ohh thank god you don’t live here.

21 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

An Australian nightclub has banned staring without getting "verbal consent"...

Asking for consent would be a great way of breaking ice. In which case, the ban should increase nightclub attendance

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/26/2022 at 1:05 AM, Tatetopa said:

Wander up to them playing a violin with a rose between their teeth perhaps?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Wander up to them playing a violin with a rose between their teeth perhaps?

That might work for you.  I can't play the violin.  Sounds like a winner though.

On 8/25/2022 at 6:30 PM, itsnotoutthere said:

An Australian nightclub has banned staring without getting "verbal consent". Club 77 in Sydney warned: "Creating a safe space goes beyond implementing practices to deal with incidents after they have happened. We also have an obligation to educate new club-goers and help them understand what is considered unacceptable behaviour inside the venue and on the dance floor."

It has hired "safety officers" in pink vests to police revellers at its site. The statement added: "If you do come in and are approaching multiple people or giving unwanted attention to someone, you are going to attract the attention of our security, who have been instructed to stop this kind of behaviour."

Now watch the woke go broke.

• Like 3

So a woman that dresses in a way to draw attention to herself and then gets mad when someone is looking at her.    Seems silly.

• Like 4

You don't know if someone is looking at you unless you're looking at them.

• Like 2

And if a person is blind or very bad eye sight?  I can see this being abused so badly.  Some person wants attention and accuses someone just to say that they were being creeped out.  From working in the bar and having physical sexual assault happen to me, I think these kinds of rules are absolutely ridiculous.  It lessens the actual victims.

• Like 3