Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doppelgängers Don’t Just Look Alike—They Also Share DNA

Still Waters

Doppelgängers share strikingly similar physical characteristics—they look so alike that, at times, these two unrelated people could easily pass for twins (or, at least, siblings).

Now, new research suggests that doppelgängers have more in common than meets the eye. People with very similar faces also share many of the same genes and lifestyle traits, according to a new paper published Tuesday in the journal Cell Reports.

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(22)01075-0

It may seem obvious that people with similar facial features would also have some of the same DNA, but  no one had scientifically proven this, until now. Thanks to the internet, it’s now easier than ever for researchers to track down and study doppelgängers.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/doppelgangers-dont-just-look-alike-they-also-share-dna-180980635/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just had this happen last week at the club i was spinning so mind on music a guy comes up to the booth who out of cornor of eye i thought it was a guy i know who doesnt come out much when i gave him attention i saw it wasnt my friend but the looked alike built alike, acted similar it was a bit weird, he was a close enough match to be a brother  ive thought for years just not deeply that likely a lot of people were distantly related but this new DNA stuff works well.

• Like 1

The creepy thing is I met a girl who was so close in looks, she would get in the bar because they thought she was me...then, he brother asked me out...grossed me out.  Now, saying similar DNA, it's even more messed up

I once came face to face with a young nurse (about 20 to my 32) who looked so much like myself it was spooky.  Taller than me, but facially, hair colour, even our skinny body shapes, startling.  Neither of us said anything, don’t know why.  Earlier in that hospital stay I had been asked what I was doing as a patient thinking I was this nurse so other people noticed the likeness too.

Mrs Stiff gets this quite a lot and is often asked if she is indeed directly related to Joseph Merrick.

• Haha 1

Years ago, my dad was in a store, and a couple approached him and told them how much they enjoyed his piano playing and singing. Now my dad was puzzled because he didn't do that as a side job. He later found out that these people went to the Old San Francisco Steakhouse in San Antonio, and the piano player looked like my dad.
He had a few people in the past also think he was Sydney Greenstreet the actor. Which was funny as my dad was heavy set, but not as large as Greenstreet.
Went one day to the Farmer's Market in New braunfels, and a lady thought I was someone else because I looked just like her.
  • Like 1

The funny thing is when it happened to me the girl I was getting mistaken for was also named Nicolette. It was confusing. It's not a very common name.