Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nigeria bans use of foreign models and voice-over artists in adverts

el midgetron

In a statement released to the media the Advertising Regulatory Council of Nigeria (ARCON) said: “All advertisements, advertising, and marketing communications materials targeted or exposed on the Nigerian advertising space are to use only Nigerian models and voice-over artists. Advertisers, advertisement agencies, media houses, advertising community and the general public are hereby enjoined to take note.”

The ban will take effect from October 1.

https://www.voice-online.co.uk/news/world-news/2022/08/24/nigeria-bans-use-of-foreign-models-and-voice-over-artists-in-adverts/

• Thanks 1

I only wish that European countries would do likewise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Autistocrates said:

I only wish that European countries would do likewise

You know that they’re probably European, right? All of them?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They more than likely all have passports of which were issued to them by European governmental authorities. Some of them probably threw their rightfull original passports overboard, preceeding sea "rescue"

3 minutes ago, Autistocrates said:

They more than likely all have passports of which were issued to them by European governmental authorities. Some of them probably threw their rightfull original passports overboard, preceeding sea "rescue"

Obviously, ALL Europeans with passports will have received them European Authorities.

If you are able to quantify your assertions on probability, please show your working.

• Like 1

In other words, you are demanding that I confirm common knowledge to those who already have it

36 minutes ago, Autistocrates said:

In other words, you are demanding that I confirm common knowledge to those who already have it

If it's common knowledge, as you assert, then you should have no problem being able to provide the facts that support your purported probabilites.

Otherwise, it raises the apprehension that you might be confusing knowledge with prejudice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Autistocrates said:

Yes, it’s common knowledge that every European is exactly the same skin tone, and it’s pale as the driven snow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Knowledge leads to prejudice, if that's what's implied. Those who are not able to read the signs of the times are those who are blessed with ignorance of the truth

Just now, Autistocrates said:

Knowledge leads to prejudice, if that's what's implied. Those who are not able to read the signs of the times are those who are blessed with ignorance of the truth

Then you are truely amongst the most blessed people on this forum.

• Like 2

I fully agree. I consider it an honor, to inform those of which are either willfully ignorant or to those who genuinely are

30 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yes, it’s common knowledge that every European is exactly the same skin tone, and it’s pale as the driven snow.

equal.webp

Edited by Silver
  • Haha 3

Ok, I'll throw my 2 cents into the heap.

In 2019, 84.8% of England and Wales’ population identified their ethnicity as White, decreasing by 1.2 percentage points since the 2011 Census.

(link)

Sooo... If we are looking for equal representation, in adverts depicting five people there should be 4 whites and 1 other. And here is conundrum, who should represent '1 other', Asian, or Black, or Other?.... And if, say, Black... Carribeans or Africans? 'Cause those two groups, to my knowledge, don't like much each other...

:whistle:

PS don't get triggered, my racisist sarcam is for entertainment/comedy purpose.

• Like 1

Bit OT, but similar stuff...

From the  Constitution of the Republic of Liberia (1986):

Article 27

[...]

b) In order to preserve, foster and maintain the positive Liberian culture, values and
character, only persons who are N[
word]s or of N[word] descent shall qualify by birth or by
naturalization to be citizens of Liberia.

[...]

(link)

What the f 'positive Liberian culture' is? Inslavement of local tribes by free Blacks?

Anyway, imagine, Brits writing that into their constitution (just with couple of changes, i.e. B instead of N)...

4 hours ago, Autistocrates said:

I fully agree. I consider it an honor, to inform those of which are either willfully ignorant or to those who genuinely are

Youre aware that during colonial times Africans were bought over to ships into Europe right?

9 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Youre aware that during colonial times Africans were bought over to ships into Europe right?

How many?

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

What the f 'positive Liberian culture' is? Inslavement of local tribes by free Blacks?

Full marks for finding obscure law :nw:.

I suspect that the provision reflects the curiosity that Liberia was a creature of the United States with the thought that if the slaves were freed, perhaps resettlement somewhere in Africa would serve.

This is reflected in the original Liberian constitution (1847), Article V section 13

The great object of forming these Colonies, being to provide a home for the dispersed and oppressed children of Africa , and to regenerate and enlighten this benighted continent, None but persons of color shall be admitted to citizenship in this Republic

https://web.archive.org/web/20100117084908/http://onliberia.org/con_1847_orig.htm

On a point arising, for American English-speaking readers, if you cite N[word], then it places an altogether different and highly charged word in the reader's mind. The constitutional word is merely Negro, which was polite enough in mid-20th Century, but has fallen into disuse, in no small part because it summons up for many the image of a southern cracker in a sheriff's unform ranting about the "Neegrahs." African-American  or simply Black really is a great improvement over that.

Now let's see how much of that last paragraph makes it through the language filters :rofl: .

Woo-hoo! 100% made it,

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Between 10 and 12million.

To Europe? Ehhrm, I would like to see the sources your numbers come from. 

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

Ok, I'll throw my 2 cents into the heap.

(link)

Sooo... If we are looking for equal representation, in adverts depicting five people there should be 4 whites and 1 other. And here is conundrum, who should represent '1 other', Asian, or Black, or Other?.... And if, say, Black... Carribeans or Africans? 'Cause those two groups, to my knowledge, don't like much each other...

:whistle:

PS don't get triggered, my racisist sarcam is for entertainment/comedy purpose.

How does that answer anything about passports and purported immigration process?

From an advertising point of view it makes sense to include as many ethnicities as possible.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Full marks for finding obscure law :nw:.

I suspect that the provision reflects the curiosity that Liberia was a creature of the United States with the thought that if the slaves were freed, perhaps resettlement somewhere in Africa would serve.

[...]

And that didn't went well, sadly...

4 minutes ago, eight bits said:

[...]

On a point arising, for American English-speaking readers, if you cite N[word], then it places an altogether different and highly charged word in the reader's mind. The constitutional word is merely Negro, which was polite enough in mid-20th Century, but has fallen into disuse, in no small part because it summons up for many the image of a sourther cracker in a sheriff's unform ranting about the "Neegrahs." African-American  or simply Black really is a great improvement over that.

Now let's see how much of that last paragraph makes it through the language filters :rofl: .

Hm, went through, I'm shocked :w00t:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

To Europe? Ehhrm, I would like to see the sources your numbers come from. 

My apologies I stupidly misread an article the number I gave were global slave trade. :blush:

For some reason the only figures I can find were from 1580 to the 1700s which was approximately 1-1.8million.

2 hours ago, Autistocrates said:

Are you going to can start informing and stop preaching any time soon?

Show figures to back up your assertions or just admit it's a guess based on prejudice.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

How does that answer anything about passports and purported immigration process?

[...]

Doesn't answer, 'cause 'twas not the purpose of my post. Read disclaimer.:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

[...]

From an advertising point of view it makes sense to include as many ethnicities as possible.

That would be helluva crowd...

Edited by bmk1245
grammar

5 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

My apologies I stupidly misread an article the number I gave were global slave trade. :blush:

For some reason the only figures I can find were from 1580 to the 1700s which was approximately 1-1.8million.

Does this number includes people from British Isles/Europe sold in north African slave trade hubs?