Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An argument in favor of Chronophobia.

Alchopwn

I want to put it out there, that most people don't have Chronophobia.  Chronophobia is fear of Time or fear of Time passing.

For a more detailed explanation: Chronophobi  and Wiki Link to Chronophobia

I want to put it to people that if you aren't scared of Time, perhaps it is worth some serious thought.  It is all too easy to put it into the "I can't do anything about it therefore I don't care" basket, which is a pretty good coping mechanism, but it does detract from the naked cosmic terror you should be experiencing when you seriously try to come to grips with the topic. 

You might say that time isn't objectively dangerous, but is that true?  Arguably Time causes  Entropy, hence the utterly undignified process known as Death by Old Age.  The longer you live, the more you fall apart, until like some rotting well-loved teddy bear, you take a last tumble in the washing machine and fall apart at the seams. Worse still, the entire universe is falling apart due to the same process that is slowly killing you.  Time isn't just death, it is the inevitable process of the heat death of the universe, which will be absolute and irreversible.

But what exactly is Time?  You can point to a clock, but you cannot point to time, and yet time is ubiquitous, and movement would be impossible without it.  Some say that we must treat time as a dimension, but time is uncompromizingly monodirectional, and only ever leads to the death and destruction of everything we can ever experience.  It represents the annihilation of all meaning. It is like the universe is a trap that we have wandered into, where time will ultimately consume and render meaningless anything we might hope to achieve.  The more you think about time, the more you must face existential nihilism.

I put it to you, the reader that the concept of Time needs to be treated not as some sort of human construct (which it isn't, time is objectively provable), but a true cosmic horror from which there is (presently) no escape.  Time is humanity's greatest enemy, and we need to face it.  If you aren't scared of time, perhaps you should give the matter some thought?  I think it is easily the most rational of all phobias.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ell said:

I am gonna eat a banana.

If time did not exist, I could not eat a banana.

Hurrah banana!

Hurrah time!

Do you eat to live or live to eat?  If there were no time, you wouldn't have to eat bananas to exist, and you wouldn't have to poop every day either.  Think of all the money you could save.  Think of all the time you wouldn't have to spend just maintaining things so you can live! 

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Do you eat to live or live to eat?  If there were no time, you wouldn't have to eat bananas to exist, and you wouldn't have to poop every day either.  Think of all the money you could save.  Think of all the time you wouldn't have to spend just maintaining things so you can live! 

Time doesn't exist, but money does exist.   :blink:

9 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I want to put it out there, that most people don't have Chronophobia.  Chronophobia is fear of Time or fear of Time passing.

I want to put it to people that if you aren't scared of Time, perhaps it is worth some serious thought.  It is all too easy to put it into the "I can't do anything about it therefore I don't care" basket, which is a pretty good coping mechanism, but it does detract from the naked cosmic terror you should be experiencing when you seriously try to come to grips with the topic. 

You might say that time isn't objectively dangerous, but is that true?  Arguably Time causes  Entropy, hence the utterly undignified process known as Death by Old Age.  The longer you live, the more you fall apart, until like some rotting well-loved teddy bear, you take a last tumble in the washing machine and fall apart at the seams. Worse still, the entire universe is falling apart due to the same process that is slowly killing you.  Time isn't just death, it is the inevitable process of the heat death of the universe, which will be absolute and irreversible.

But what exactly is Time?  You can point to a clock, but you cannot point to time, and yet time is ubiquitous, and movement would be impossible without it.  Some say that we must treat time as a dimension, but time is uncompromizingly monodirectional, and only ever leads to the death and destruction of everything we can ever experience.  It represents the annihilation of all meaning. It is like the universe is a trap that we have wandered into, where time will ultimately consume and render meaningless anything we might hope to achieve.  The more you think about time, the more you must face existential nihilism.

I put it to you, the reader that the concept of Time needs to be treated not as some sort of human construct (which it isn't, time is objectively provable), but a true cosmic horror from which there is (presently) no escape.  Time is humanity's greatest enemy, and we need to face it.  If you aren't scared of time, perhaps you should give the matter some thought?  I think it is easily the most rational of all phobias.

Sorry, I'm still not sure why I should be afraid of time.

10 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I think that most people ARE afraid of time.  They don't understand what time is or isn't...but they fear it obsessively.  I think this as a result of the inordinate amount of time that I spend driving.  I drive alot...all over the city...so I get a unique glimpse of the majority of drivers on the roads today.  My perception is that everyone is in a hurry.  They are in a perpetual hurry.  Where ever they are going they are in a hurry to get there even if there is no rational reason to be in a hurry.  They are in a perpetual hurry and they do not even realize it, and if pointed out, they would make pointed excuses.

So, my question is:  If everyone is in a perpetual hurry for no reason...why is that?  Is it habit?  Is it programming by a greater social idea that says get where you are going as fast as you can to save time?  Is it because they fear time?  I think they are acting on an internal fear of time.  

• Like 1

Everything that is , took time to become what it is?   Does an embryo live in stark terror of the next nine months? ;   Time is just as much a beginning as an ending?   But ya, I guess no one fears being born … and ya, I guess most of us do have ,at least some, fear of death… and it’s time’s fault :P

I hear ya joc!  We drive from Michigan to California and back for the last 8 winters and have noticed something… the closer we get to a big city…the Faster the traffic flows!  until ,within the city it’s pure chaos!!   It’s the locals ,with the least distance to travel that are in the biggest hurry!  They’re used to the traffic and seem to think it’s incredibly urgent that their trip across town take 6.5 minutes instead of 8 minutes!   It’s a game of sorts for many.  We completely avoid St. Louis,  (and travel across southern Missouri on U.S. 60 ..divided highway though the countryside with light traffic) :)   ..and when we get near Albuquerque we get off the Freeway!*!* onto old Route 66 where the speed limit drops to 55 ..then 45… then 35… then in the heart of old town .. 25 mph :tu:     It’s so much more peaceful, and interesting!, than multiple lanes of Maniacs!!!  Jostling for ‘position’ !      Drive careful bud!  Happy trails .

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Everything that is , took time to become what it is?   Does an embryo live in stark terror of the next nine months? ;   Time is just as much a beginning as an ending?   But ya, I guess no one fears being born … and ya, I guess most of us do have ,at least some, fear of death… and it’s time’s fault :P

I hear ya joc!  We drive from Michigan to California and back for the last 8 winters and have noticed something… the closer we get to a big city…the Faster the traffic flows!  until ,within the city it’s pure chaos!!   It’s the locals ,with the least distance to travel that are in the biggest hurry!  They’re used to the traffic and seem to think it’s incredibly urgent that their trip across town take 6.5 minutes instead of 8 minutes!   It’s a game of sorts for many.  We completely avoid St. Louis,  (and travel across southern Missouri on U.S. 60 ..divided highway though the countryside with light traffic) :)   ..and when we get near Albuquerque we get off the Freeway!*!* onto old Route 66 where the speed limit drops to 55 ..then 45… then 35… then in the heart of old town .. 25 mph :tu:     It’s so much more peaceful, and interesting!, than multiple lanes of Maniacs!!!  Jostling for ‘position’ !      Drive careful bud!  Happy trails .

I too avoid the main roads....I travel into the city (Dallas) via county roads...it's peaceful...cows, horses, open pastures...no hurry.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Time doesn't exist, but money does exist.   :blink:

I have heard some people put the argument that Time is a human construct, not a universal principle.  So, yes, money exists but time doesn't potentially if applying this reasoning.  It does rather make a mockery of the whole "time is money" saying/cliche tho doesn't it?

16 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

Sorry, I'm still not sure why I should be afraid of time.

Because Time is unknowable and it enables the Entropy that is daily devouring you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lightly said:

Everything that is , took time to become what it is?  

Everything that is has decayed to its present state, you mean?

Does an embryo live in stark terror of the next nine months?

An embryo starts dying from the moment of conception.  What right did we have to haul it out of the bliss of non-being into this sordid business?

But ya, I guess no one fears being born … and ya, I guess most of us do have ,at least some, fear of death… and it’s time’s fault :P

No, we fear it plenty, we just couldn't articulate the horror of what we were going thru.  There is a reason a baby cries the moment after it draws its first breath.  It has just been subjected to the most appalling pressures and likely a great deal of trauma and pain.  It isn't just women who go thru a terrible ordeal during childbirth, but nobody spares a thought for the babies, only the mothers.

and ya, I guess most of us do have ,at least some, fear of death… and it’s time’s fault :P

It might be that death is not so bad, but rotting in our bodies for X years+ isn't great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

I have heard some people put the argument that Time is a human construct, not a universal principle.  So, yes, money exists but time doesn't potentially if applying this reasoning.  It does rather make a mockery of the whole "time is money" saying/cliche tho doesn't it?

:yes:

So, yes, money exists

:no:

"time is money"

Well it can be if one is stopped by the police and wasting your time, one can charge them for that time being wasted..  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Because Time is unknowable and it enables the Entropy that is daily devouring you.

Okay but I still do not fear it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

Okay but I still do not fear it.

I suspect that is because you haven't let it infect your nightmares properly.

• Haha 1

Chronophobia (Fear of Time)

Chronophobia is the extreme fear of time or time passing. It can cause severe anxiety, feelings of dread, obsessive behaviors and depression. People who are elderly, ill or imprisoned are more likely to develop this anxiety disorder. They may fear their own mortality, obsess over time or worry about their days being limited. Therapy can help.

…  I suppose some people might fear time itself…but it seems most fear some of the more unpleasant consequences of time.?     Usually, most of a lifetime of living things is spent living…not dying?  

I suspect that is because you haven't let it infect your nightmares properly.

Why would I, or, more importantly, why would you allow it to?

18 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

Why would I, or, more importantly, why would you allow it to?

Because existential cosmic dread provides such a sublimely visceral frisson, made all the deeper when it is based on something real.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 1

Because existential cosmic dread provides such a sublimely visceral frisson, made all the deeper when it is based on something real.

Did someone get a new Dictionary for their birthday!?  :tsu:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Time explained

...and still...the last time I went to DD was 11:00am on a Saturday morning in May...no donut holes!   pfffft  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, joc said:

Did someone get a new Dictionary for their birthday!?  :tsu:

I was just putting on my Lovecraft hat.  I'm both rugose and squamous about it. :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/28/2022 at 3:40 AM, Alchopwn said:

Entropy applies to the overall system though, so you can have within that system things whose entropy decreases.  I think this is necessary in order for kids/offspring to grow.  Yes, the universe will steadily grow more disordered, but why should a finite being worry about something like that that cannot harm us now?  Yep we're all gonna die too, but again why worry about that now?  

6 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Yes, the universe will steadily grow more disordered, but why should a finite being worry about something like that that cannot harm us now?  

It's literally harming us all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 10:14 AM, joc said:

I think that most people ARE afraid of time.  They don't understand what time is or isn't...but they fear it obsessively.  I think this as a result of the inordinate amount of time that I spend driving.  I drive alot...all over the city...so I get a unique glimpse of the majority of drivers on the roads today.  My perception is that everyone is in a hurry.  They are in a perpetual hurry.  Where ever they are going they are in a hurry to get there even if there is no rational reason to be in a hurry.  They are in a perpetual hurry and they do not even realize it, and if pointed out, they would make pointed excuses.

So, my question is:  If everyone is in a perpetual hurry for no reason...why is that?  Is it habit?  Is it programming by a greater social idea that says get where you are going as fast as you can to save time?  Is it because they fear time?  I think they are acting on an internal fear of time.  

Yes i too drive a lot as i work in the field and it does get annoying as so many people are always in a hurry , like they get into the habit of it and soon it becomes second nature. Where they may not even realize it . You could be driving 5 miles over the speed limit and people are always comming up on your ass or rolling around you. I mean , i see it all the time every day.

• Thanks 1