Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Say, anyone else here with a severe anxiety disorder?

pallidin

It seems that you and the professionals already have tried everything possible. Including hypnosis?

So I surmise that there is no help for you.

You do not suffer from a phobia, do you?

Without specific information I doubt anyone will be able to suggest possible solutions.

Edited by Ell
typo
  • Like 2

My anxiety/depression is partially inherited from my mother, as well as PTSD incurred in SE Asia during my tour in 1968/1969. I've also been subjected to all the 'benzo' drugs from the psydocs at the VA which pretty much took a year out of my life (2015). Got rid of all that crap and found a good therapist who I see monthly. I no longer take any psychiatric drugs except for some stuff called Cyproheptadine - it's basically like Benadryl but it also relaxes you and is sometimes prescribed as an anti anxiety drug (my case). No weird side effects but I have found  that, if I stop taking it, I'll start having mild panic attacks. I still see the VA psychiatrist a couple times a year to keep my meds current - only the Cyproheptadine and Melatonin. Not sure I can give you any great advice except try to find someone you can talk to about it all. I'm fortunate that my PhD is an artist and musician (both of my vices of choice) so he has a better chance of understanding me. It's not a lot of fun, as you well know but there is hope.

• Like 4

Personally I don’t use cannabis but have friends who do for anxiety and other medicinal reasons. Like anything it affects different people different ways. Its a natural compound as opposed to pharmaceutical products. I’ve heard good response from people with anxiety disorders. If you can get around the huge stigma which surrounds this plant it may help you.. take care  (:

• Like 7

@Piney suffers with severe anxiety.

Every day, I send him photos of rusty chainsaws.

He hates me!   .....but not as much as the pictures I send.

:tsu:

Edited by acute
DEATH TO PRINCE RUPERT!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Exposure therapy. Start with e.g. 5 seconds and slowly work yourself up to longer and longer time. (Depending what triggers your anxiety of course.)

What you will learn by that is that if your can handle 5 seconds, you can also handle 10. And so on. But it's important to start small.

• Like 6

Say, anyone else here with a severe anxiety disorder?

I ask this because I can't seem to get mine under control.

Have you looked into CBT?

— Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

It includes mitigation, distraction, and coping strategies.

Edited by acute
  • Like 6

I simply avoid anything that causes me anxiety(as far as possible). This means I very rarely leave my home and have very little contact with people.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, pallidin said:

Probably had every medication known, also behavioral and EMDR therapy.

For whatever reason nothing, so far, seems to work for me

Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: The Doc's cut me off of rescue medication (Ativan, Valium) due to the apparent high risk of developing dementia, so I have nothing on a medication level.

Have you seen a cardiologist?  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pallidin said:

Note: The Doc's cut me off of rescue medication (Ativan, Valium) due to the apparent high risk of developing dementia, so I have nothing on a medication level.

Okay, this will sound a little crazy, but it has worked for some people with quick results, so try this. Put a cup of water in your refrigerator, it must be cold when it comes time for you to use it. When you feel your anxiety or panic attack coming on, go to your fridge and grab the cold water and with one free hand, dip all your fingers into the cup of water and fling the droplets into your face, and repeat the process as many times as you think you need to. But try not get any cold water on you below your shoulders and onto your chest. That can make your anxiety worse when your core body is getting too much cold water on it, besides your face and head. You don't want to cool down your body, just your face and head.

If that doesn't work, then open your freezer door and stick your face as far you can into freezer, and grab either an ice tray or a Ziploc bag of ice and touch it to your face, preferably your cheeks and forehead, for no more than five seconds at a time. :D A frozen steak will work just as well.

This is not a joke. I promise you. We've taken a cup of ice cold water and dipped our fingers into it and fling the droplets into a patient's face, when they show up at the hospital and they are having a major panic attack. It has worked for some people in some cases and it has not. The point of doing this is to give you a shock and hopefully break your concentration on whatever it is you are too focused on and panicking about.

So that is just one quick fix. CBT and learning mindfulness techniques is the long term.

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have heard about Katniss’s cold remedy, though more about plunging your face into very cold water.  Admit I have never tried it as my 50+ years of generalised anxiety (including periods of agoraphobia) has eased somewhat as I have aged, possibly due to being retired and not having the same pressures on me that going to work presented.

My worst times now are on waking.  Often have heart in mouth sensations, butterflies in stomach sort of feelings (as I did this morning).  Still feel like there is a herd of something rampaging in my belly two hours after getting up.  For me leaving the house is always a problem, worse some days than others but since getting a dog and having to walk her I have stopped myself becoming housebound.  Lockdowns with the pandemic haven’t helped at all, obviously.

Sorry, so no practical advice except for square breathing - count to 4 breathing in, hold for 4, count to 4 breathing out, the hold for 4 before breathing in again.  Repeat for at least 10 cycles several times a day.

Hope you find some relief somehow, somewhere.  Remember you are not alone.  There are thousands of us out here for support.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I simply avoid anything that causes me anxiety(as far as possible). This means I very rarely leave my home and have very little contact with people.

Is this true, or are you being a bit jokey?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

I have heard about Katniss’s cold remedy, though more about plunging your face into very cold water.  Admit I have never tried it as my 50+ years of generalised anxiety (including periods of agoraphobia) has eased somewhat as I have aged, possibly due to being retired and not having the same pressures on me that going to work presented.

My worst times now are on waking.  Often have heart in mouth sensations, butterflies in stomach sort of feelings (as I did this morning).  Still feel like there is a herd of something rampaging in my belly two hours after getting up.  For me leaving the house is always a problem, worse some days than others but since getting a dog and having to walk her I have stopped myself becoming housebound.  Lockdowns with the pandemic haven’t helped at all, obviously.

Sorry, so no practical advice except for square breathing - count to 4 breathing in, hold for 4, count to 4 breathing out, the hold for 4 before breathing in again.  Repeat for at least 10 cycles several times a day.

Hope you find some relief somehow, somewhere.  Remember you are not alone.  There are thousands of us out here for support.

Yes. Plunging your face into very cold water is another way and could be better. And the breathing exercise you talk about is another good method.

26 minutes ago, Silver said:

Is this true, or are you being a bit jokey?

There are some people that have agoraphobia and because of that they are unable to leave their own house.

• Like 4

@KatnissThere are some people that have agoraphobia and because of that they are unable to leave their own house.

I know that. I just wondered if ouija ouija meant it literally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, acute said:

@Piney suffers with severe anxiety.

Every day, I send him photos of rusty chainsaws.

He hates me!   .....but not as much as the pictures I send.

:tsu:

I also have a phobia about trees and must cut them down and sell them to Oompa Loompa.......erp......I mean Amish sawmills before there are too many of them because they block people's views and ruin all the air making it too fresh.

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Why do you associate with Brummies when you know they can stress you? 

Take the @acutes from your life and replace them with a good Scottish whiskey and you'll feel sooo much better.

And for God's sakes stay away from those horrid trees. :unsure2:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, pallidin said:

I was taught as a tween to sit down, concentrate on my breathing and find a mental emptiness until I could do it on demand. But it took years. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pallidin said:

yep my docs keep taking me off the nerve pill but I  get  so upset ,so I take  Tylenols that helps and calms  the nerves.:) 

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Katniss said:

Okay, this will sound a little crazy, but it has worked for some people with quick results, so try this. Put a cup of water in your refrigerator, it must be cold when it comes time for you to use it. When you feel your anxiety or panic attack coming on, go to your fridge and grab the cold water and with one free hand, dip all your fingers into the cup of water and fling the droplets into your face, and repeat the process as many times as you think you need to. But try not get any cold water on you below your shoulders and onto your chest. That can make your anxiety worse when your core body is getting too much cold water on it, besides your face and head. You don't want to cool down your body, just your face and head.

If that doesn't work, then open your freezer door and stick your face as far you can into freezer, and grab either an ice tray or a Ziploc bag of ice and touch it to your face, preferably your cheeks and forehead, for no more than five seconds at a time. :D A frozen steak will work just as well.

This is not a joke. I promise you. We've taken a cup of ice cold water and dipped our fingers into it and fling the droplets into a patient's face, when they show up at the hospital and they are having a major panic attack. It has worked for some people in some cases and it has not. The point of doing this is to give you a shock and hopefully break your concentration on whatever it is you are too focused on and panicking about.

So that is just one quick fix. CBT and learning mindfulness techniques is the long term.

Just for your own googling paladin. What Kattinss described is called a "grounding technique". If you find it useful definitely Google other grounding techniques. 

Grounding technique are using your senses to bring you back to the present moment and out of your head and anxious thoughts. So like holding ice cubes or cold water.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, pallidin said:

@pallidin - I think the best piece of advice I’ve ever gotten from a friend were the words, “Bill, don’t let your emotions push you around.”

I’ve learned over the years that emotions, anxieties and insecurities are a part of my life, but they only control me to the extent that I grant them undeserved attention. 

I’d suggest that rather than trying to control your anxiety (which gives your anxiety undeserved attention), make a conscious decision to reduce the significance of anxiety by admitting to yourself that the anxiety exists, but you’re not going to grant it the power to keep you from doing the things that you want to do in life.

• Like 6

Sorry your suffering pallidin   .. you’ve probably tried Walking ?    Music? (especially making it yourself)   Quiet.. (if you have any around)..with breathing and relaxation?   Once in awhile, try to not think..  thoughts will try to form, ignore them…and focus on the quiet beneath.?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ell said:

It seems that you and the professionals already have tried everything possible. Including hypnosis?

So I surmise that there is no help for you.

You do not suffer from a phobia, do you?

Without specific information I doubt anyone will be able to suggest possible solutions.

Well, this whole darn journey of private hell started when I was involved in an explosion (not military, rather a home remodeling that went very wrong), dang near killing myself and the homeowner. It was very bad.

The psychiatrist I had at the time (for many years) suggested that this was the trigger situation of my hypersensitivity towards loud noises and sudden movements.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

A wise man once said..   ”when life gets you down…swim with a dolphin”   :)

How long ago was the explosion ?   Maybe you just need more time to heal from the trauma?     It sounds like post traumatic stress syndrome?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lightly said:

A wise man once said..   ”when life gets you down…swim with a dolphin”   :)

How long ago was the explosion ?   Maybe you just need more time to heal from the trauma?     It sounds like post traumatic stress syndrome?

Yeah. I have been formally diagnosed with clinical generalized anxiety/panic disorder/PTSD.

I'm a mess.

The explosion happened 20 years ago.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, pallidin said:

Note: The Doc's cut me off of rescue medication (Ativan, Valium) due to the apparent high risk of developing dementia, so I have nothing on a medication level, malt extract, 

Are you drinking enough water?

Do you avoid spicy foods?

Are you limiting caffeine consumption to the morning?

How much MSG are you eating in food? Its shown as MSG, yeast extracts, L-glutamate, sodium glutamate, etc.

Are you dieting? Your brain needs its full nutrition to make your hormones, some of which are important for anxiety.

Is there a external cause for your anxiety such as stressful working environment or relationship problems?

Are you sleeping properly?

Some effective ways for cutting stress and anxiety anxiety are:

1. Sugar - I recommend having some sugary lollipops.

2. Lemon - Spend 5 minutes smelling it, then eat it. The smell has a weird effect on the limbic system, it interferes with the stress and anxiety pathways. Eating lemon has some benefit impacts on it too.

3. Chocolate Milkshakes - Have a 500ml glass an hour before going to bed. Avoid sugar free or low sugar brands. You may find this makes you too sluggish when you wake up.

So yep, check dehydration, spices, caffeine, nervous system stimulants like MSG, eating a well balanced diet, and external causes for stress. Finally you can induce gamma waves to cut stress very easy. Breath in for 8 seconds, breath out at a slower rate for 12 seconds, allow yourself to go into a trance while breathing out. Repeat.

Finally the reason why energy drink manufacturers such as Monster Energy put Inositol into their drinks is to cut the panic, anxiety, and stress, that drinking lots of caffeine causes. You can get Inositol on Amazon and on many gym supplement websites. Its safe for long term use, but might make you pooping bad.

• Thanks 1