Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who was Jack the Ripper?

jethrofloyd

15 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I hear you but i still dont think some could not stop too narssisist,  most all serial killers are caught they dont just stop,

Most all after caught admit they wouldnt have stopped

Good point, the ones that kill random different people really are monsters, you wonder what drives them. Like a loose man eating lion in town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Good point, the ones that kill random different people really are monsters, you wonder what drives them. Like a loose man eating lion in town.

Ive pondered it and i speculate its a bit like a hard core addict, ill use my friend john who died as example.

John wasnt a "typical" alcoholic John started smoking young then drinking more in his 20s the drinking took control he got drunk nightly, he lived at home worked as a bar back so you could call him functional.

He liked being drunk he saw nothing wrong with it, things like DUIs, health issues, how he treated people were just scenery, and in his case he died on a pool table in a dive bar, no, its not how he wanted to go and hes not in a better place.

When i would read or watch a doc on killers it occurred to me that a killers mindset and johns were similar it controlled them it was them their life revolved around it most saw nothing wrong with it past perhaps a slight bit of knowing its not how most people live.

Im not saying every alcoholic is like this but some are and i believe that same part of the brain is at work being it drinking or killing.

Its a sickness an illness and perhaps as more study is done they can figure out where the flaw is fix that bad wiring.

Or im out to lunch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

Ive pondered it and i speculate its a bit like a hard core addict, ill use my friend john who died as example.

John wasnt a "typical" alcoholic John started smoking young then drinking more in his 20s the drinking took control he got drunk nightly, he lived at home worked as a bar back so you could call him functional.

He liked being drunk he saw nothing wrong with it, things like DUIs, health issues, how he treated people were just scenery, and in his case he died on a pool table in a dive bar, no, its not how he wanted to go and hes not in a better place.

When i would read or watch a doc on killers it occurred to me that a killers mindset and johns were similar it controlled them it was them their life revolved around it most saw nothing wrong with it past perhaps a slight bit of knowing its not how most people live.

Im not saying every alcoholic is like this but some are and i believe that same part of the brain is at work being it drinking or killing.

Its a sickness an illness and perhaps as more study is done they can figure out where the flaw is fix that bad wiring.

Or im out to lunch.

I think you could be right there. I was also thinking it's like an occupation for them, like a mechanic, chef or whatever, it's just what they do day to day. I think most are also sexually motivated in some twisted  way. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, openozy said:

I think you could be right there. I was also thinking it's like an occupation for them, like a mechanic, chef or whatever, it's just what they do day to day. I think most are also sexually motivated in some twisted  way. 

Most definitely, a lot have issues where they cant have sex or have issues so they take it out on women or men depending what they like.

Being a drunk was johns occupation.

• Like 1

I've always liked Kosminski as a suspect but unfortunately, time and false evidence have diluted the facts so much that it's almost impossible to solve the case 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2022 at 7:14 AM, the13bats said:

I find some of these unsolved cases where the killer teases the authorities intriguing in that its hard for me to believe they would just stop killing and or stop teasing.

I wonder if they get arrested for something else, get killed or just die.

There's a few options.

Personally, I'm less inclined to believe that the killer(s) sent any messages to the press or the police, but we'll never really know. 

We really don't truly know if all of the murders were connected, and the whole "Canonical 5" idea isn't really concrete, in that you could make an argument against Stride and possibly even Kelly being "Ripper" victims. Then there's the other victims that are cast aside because they either don't fit into people's preferred narrative or support their chosen suspect's timeline. 

The whole idea of a Ripper is largely based on letters that are mostly thought to be hoaxed. The Ripper, in that respect, would only have existed in the papers and in the minds of the public and the stories in the boozers. 

The organ removal business sounds great for a notoriously evil murderer, just as cannibalising kidneys and sending letters written in blood does, but we don't truly know if any organs were removed on site as opposed to later at the mortuary and sold for quick cash by desperate people. 

On the surface, the Ripper is a perfect Victorian ghost story, a penny dreadful. In reality, it's a bunch of possibly unconnected murders of unfortunate women that would highlight the absolutely disgraceful living conditions of the lower class. 

Everything else is a romanticised whodunnit for us to wonder about on cold dark nights. We'll never truly know, but I feel like a lot of people with money wrapped up in Ripper books would probably be disappointed if we did. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 10:06 PM, Peterk505 said:

James Maybrick is my favorite suspect.

Read "The Diary of Jack the Ripper"

I won't go into it all here, but while I enjoy the Maybrick story, it has absolutely no truth to it.

I actually live a street away from Riversdale road in Aigburth, where Battlecreese house still looks over the cricket club. 

On 9/28/2022 at 5:59 PM, Billyf said:

I've always liked Kosminski as a suspect but unfortunately, time and false evidence have diluted the facts so much that it's almost impossible to solve the case 

Kosminski is sadly such a popular choice of suspect while also being such a vague person all-round. There's really no way of determining just who Swanson etc were talking about when they discussed him briefly many years later. 

On 9/21/2022 at 10:47 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

To me, if they stopped at Mary Kelly, it meant they either got want they wanted (spoilers, this is the “multi killer theory”, and someone was after Mary Kelly a name used by at least one of the other women when nicked by the police), they went to prison/an institution (Prince Eddie theory) they went overseas (H.H. Holmes theory) or they died (the …whathhsoname, killed by his missus, there was a diary … that fella theory). 

The trouble is that there were killings not only after Mary Kelly, but before Polly Nichols. 

If you subscribe to the "Thames Torso murders", then they began before and continued after the so-called Ripper. 

Holmes was never a good candidate for London, though. 

Personally, while I don't bother with choosing suspects, I don't really think that the "canonical 5" theory is as grounded in fact as we've been led to believe. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:11 PM, Gilbert Syndrome said:

There's a few options.

Personally, I'm less inclined to believe that the killer(s) sent any messages to the press or the police, but we'll never really know. 

We really don't truly know if all of the murders were connected, and the whole "Canonical 5" idea isn't really concrete, in that you could make an argument against Stride and possibly even Kelly being "Ripper" victims. Then there's the other victims that are cast aside because they either don't fit into people's preferred narrative or support their chosen suspect's timeline. 

The whole idea of a Ripper is largely based on letters that are mostly thought to be hoaxed. The Ripper, in that respect, would only have existed in the papers and in the minds of the public and the stories in the boozers. 

The organ removal business sounds great for a notoriously evil murderer, just as cannibalising kidneys and sending letters written in blood does, but we don't truly know if any organs were removed on site as opposed to later at the mortuary and sold for quick cash by desperate people. 

On the surface, the Ripper is a perfect Victorian ghost story, a penny dreadful. In reality, it's a bunch of possibly unconnected murders of unfortunate women that would highlight the absolutely disgraceful living conditions of the lower class. 

Everything else is a romanticised whodunnit for us to wonder about on cold dark nights. We'll never truly know, but I feel like a lot of people with money wrapped up in Ripper books would probably be disappointed if we did. 

If you know me in the other sections here i always ask story tellers for proof of claims and with things like bigfootghosts etc they dont have it and im the bad guy for asking.

But i also ask the same of debunkers prove it, and some do very well others not so much and again im called names or bad guy for not beliving stories at face value.

So many things i thought were solid were tossed into the trash can after i got online years ago and you make very good points about the ripper case the biggest being the idea the stories are far bigger and more colorful than facts.