Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should we even be attempting to bring back the thylacine ?

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Should we even be attempting to bring back the thylacine ?

I'm going with yes, but purely because they would still be here if we hadn't eradicated them in the first place.

Eta. And as for the 'Playing god' card, we already 'played god' by wiping them out. 

Edited by Stiff
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, why not? Humans killed them, why not bring them back?
And even the idea of comparing that to Jurassic Park..The thylacine has been extinct for...what...just a bit over 100 years? That's nothing in ecological time, the same strategies prey animals used to escape the thylacine are still active in their biology (and aiding them in avoiding getting eaten by things like dingos, foxes and feral cats)

It would not be the same as recreating dinosaurs and setting them wild.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 6

I say yes because it was a relatively modern extinction by humans hands. This, moa, dodos, passenger pigeons, auroch's should be brought back.

Anything prehistoric-wise since the Ice Age should remain extinct as they are though.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Bring back Neanderthal man!

You've not visited my local bar then? They're still around. Trust me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Bring back every extinct animal or plant!

We have had 'invasive exotics' or whatever for centuries, so why bother for a couple of really ancient ones? It would be fun.

We ourselves are "invasive exotics".

• Like 2

I would love to visit a Jurassic Park. Sounds like fun!

Roasted T-Rex, anyone? Probably yummy...

Bring your own veggies.

:passifier:

Edited by pallidin

We play god all the time. When you get a small pox vaccination you are playing god. When you go in a house to get out of the rain you are playing god. All "playing god" means is that you have free will and chose not to just let nature take its course in your life.

Some people seem to think that playing god is a bad thing. It is like a lot of things and sometimes it is good and sometimes not so good. It is the intention and end result that determines whether something is good or bad. It is also a point of view or perspective. I knew a family when I was a kid that had to leave town because they flat out refused to allow their kids to take the polio vaccine. To them that was playing god and a sin. Kids HAD to have that before they could go to public schools and also kids HAD to go to school...so they left.

Edited by DanL
typo

10 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

...recreating dinosaurs and setting them wild.

Bringing back certain dinosaur species for domestication would lower the planet's carbon footprint, when methane-emitting ruminants such as sheep and cattle are no longer used for livestock.

The to be resurected dinosaurs should be able to provide ivory, usable hides and wool

Wooly Mammoth - Mostly True

8 hours ago, Autistocrates said:

Bringing back certain dinosaur species for domestication would lower the planet's carbon footprint, when methane-emitting ruminants such as sheep and cattle are no longer used for livestock.

The to be resurected dinosaurs should be able to provide ivory, usable hides and wool

Wooly Mammoth - Mostly True

What are you talking about? A mammoth is not a "dinosaur"

• Like 3

It doesen't necessarilly have to be a mammoth. A wooly dinosaur would suffice

51 minutes ago, Autistocrates said:

It doesen't necessarilly have to be a mammoth. A wooly dinosaur would suffice

Do you know what a dinosaur is?
There's some who have feathers and some had proto-feather fuzz, but there aren't any who have hair.

Or are you pulling my leg?

Edited by Orphalesion

My favorite argument against resurrection of extinct species is the environment that existed before they died out is gone but that’s not the case here. If they can do it without too much alien dna being utilized then in this rare case yes. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

...There's some who have feathers...

There are some who have feathers. Not "is some". In any event, I'll settle for feathers, instead

I don’t think so.  Their essence has probably evolved…perhaps something like this.

They love to run.

Edited by Festina

On 9/5/2022 at 1:55 AM, UM-Bot said:

Just like in Jurassic Park, playing god with the fate of extinct species could cause more problems than it solves.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/360475/should-we-even-be-attempting-to-bring-back-the-thylacine

People have said we have been 'playing god' ever since some clever clogs caveman discovered how to make fire.  Then they have complained about how fire burns everything and makes too much smoke and is a power ultimately beyond human control.  These complainers are, lets face it, f*&^ing Luddites, and if the world was left to them we would still be huddling in caves afraid of thunder.  Humanity had a role in the extinction of many species, and frankly if we can bring them back, we are working to make the world a more complex and interesting place, and redressing some of the negative impacts we have had on other species.  As the top of the food chain, isn't it great that we can afford to be such magnanimous winners after being victimized by nature for millions of years? 

Bringiing back species of which have gone extinct through artificial means is simply an act of restoration.

"Playing God" would be better (although, not by any means exact) pinned onto those who have created dogs from wolves and housecats from wild cat races

On 9/5/2022 at 5:18 AM, jethrofloyd said:

Bring back Neanderthal man!

And the Hyrax!!!!!

I don't know why people use Jurassic Park as an example, the stupidity is so bad in those movies. Bring back as many extinct examples as we have DNA samples. The difficulty is implantation in an animal near enough, we haven't perfected atificial wombs yet. Wooly mammoths you could probably implant into an elephant but some species have no correlated examples to carry cloned species. Jurrassic Park didn'thave this issue because it was eggs hatching. 

Edited by darkmoonlady