Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery still surrounds humming noise that has plagued town for years

UM-Bot

A few months ago I read an article about the 'infamous' Taos Hum. If I remember correctly, it was said in a article the scientists determined the cause of hum is some kind of anomaly in the magnetic field at that area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here when weather is just right our house makes a sound, very low and the cause is wind blowing around inner wall space but it is odd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Birmingham hum is @acutes digestive tract. :o

The Birminghum is nothing to do with me!

It's the sound caused by wind flowing through Ozzy's secret tunnel between Lodge Road and The Barton Arms pub.

:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Power lines in the wind ?

I second that...  As a kid I had an elastic stretched between 2 points And place it outside. Sooner it was touched by the wind it would make the most unusual sounds, very similar to this hum.

• Like 2

Curious the sound can't be located by triangularization.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, jethrofloyd said:

A few months ago I read an article about the 'infamous' Taos Hum. If I remember correctly, it was said in a article the scientists determined the cause of hum is some kind of anomaly in the magnetic field at that area.

Those must have been made up scientists.

The Taos hum is heard by only 2% of the population. I've been there multiple times and myself and others have not heard the hum. In fact, equipment has not heard it.

https://www.livescience.com/43519-taos-hum.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

Those must have been made up scientists.

The Taos hum is heard by only 2% of the population. I've been there multiple times and myself and others have not heard the hum. In fact, equipment has not heard it.

https://www.livescience.com/43519-taos-hum.html

I believe you are certainly right. I really can't find that article now, except for this one example where it is mentioned briefly.

https://blog.uvm.edu/aivakhiv/2014/08/10/humming-the-new-earth/

“If the Hum is rooted in VLF energy, it is therefore affected by the behaviour of the Earth's magnetic field.''

• Like 1