Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In what religion do I fit?

Projects

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong. I'm not sure what to believe but I know there has to be a higher power at work or I wouldn't be alive today (way too many close calls).

I was raised around Christianity and that never made any sense because it seemed different rules applied to everyone no matter what was in the Bible. I won't get into specifics here because I don't want anyone to think I'm looking down on them. I understand my experiences were 1 of many around the world I suppose and honestly it was probably just that community of people that acted like that because they were multiple generations preaching down to others what they thought was right... not what was in the bible.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Projects said:

I won't get into specifics here

Welcome to UM, but the quoted part is problematic.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Welcome to UM, but the quoted part is problematic.

I don't want to seem like I'm looking down on anyone being Christian due to my experiences. It took me decades to realize not all Christians are the same. 

I'm here to be a part of something .... not tear someone down just because of my experience. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Projects said:

I don't want to seem like I'm looking down on anyone being Christian due to my experiences. It took me decades to realize not all Christians are the same. 

I'm here to be a part of something .... not tear someone down just because of my experience. 

That's appreciable. You said you're here to be part of something.

Do you still identify as a Christian?

• Like 2

Just now, Likely Guy said:

That's appreciable. You said you're here to be part of something.

Do you still identify as a Christian?

I never have....

• Like 2

Just now, Projects said:

I never have....

Me neither. Personally, I'm an apatheist.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Projects said:

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong. I'm not sure what to believe but I know there has to be a higher power at work or I wouldn't be alive today (way too many close calls).

I was raised around Christianity and that never made any sense because it seemed different rules applied to everyone no matter what was in the Bible. I won't get into specifics here because I don't want anyone to think I'm looking down on them. I understand my experiences were 1 of many around the world I suppose and honestly it was probably just that community of people that acted like that because they were multiple generations preaching down to others what they thought was right... not what was in the bible.

Have you studied the Bible much?  In the Old Testament and the New it teaches that God is pleased by blood sacrifice.  Do you believe that the God who made everything would be pleased by the shedding of blood by things he created?  If not, maybe the Bible based religions are not for you.  I’ve come to learn that they are not for me because I simply can’t believe that the real God would be as the Bible describes.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Have you studied the Bible much?  In the Old Testament and the New it teaches that God is pleased by blood sacrifice.

Never come across that, at all.

Edit: Okay, you're right. God was fine with Jesus getting pegged to a cross.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Projects said:

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong.

This is the crux. Why do you feel that you have to belong to any religion?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Never come across that, at all.

Edit: Okay, you're right. God was fine with Jesus getting pegged to a cross.

Well, it is supposed to be the same God, so it makes sense.  When Jesus healed a leper in Matthew 8, he told the man to go see the priests and offer the sacrifice prescribed by Moses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

This is the crux. Why do you feel that you have to belong to any religion?

I feel like I'm missing something and I should be doing something else with my life but not sure what. I have a bunch of medical issues and wasn't able to fulfill the life I had planned due to those medical issues.

I'm looking for where I fit in this world being nothing else has worked out.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Well, it is supposed to be the same God, so it makes sense.  When Jesus healed a leper in Matthew 8, he told the man to go see the priests and offer the sacrifice prescribed by Moses.

I'm not here to argue biblical minutiae.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Projects said:

I feel like I'm missing something and I should be doing something else with my life but not sure what. I have a bunch of medical issues and wasn't able to fulfill the life I had planned due to those medical issues.

I'm sorry, regarding your medical issues but we're all trying to figure out where we fit in this world.

Religion, in any form, is probably not an answer.

• Like 4

Read other religious works, read some writers on various religions, see what their core beliefs are and if anything in them calls to you. Plenty of religious adherents don't actually believe in the diety they just like the belief system because it works for them. They just don't talk much about it. Believe or don't just find one you feel happy with if that is important to you. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Projects said:

Hi Project

It is not looking down on someone for having different ideas it is in they way you express your thoughts that may lead some to feel that you are looking down on them. Many of us here have debated with each other for a decade and at times things got heated but we are all here still arguing as friends even if we disagree.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Projects said:

Start your own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Welcome aboard, @Projects.

There are several flavors of non-creedal but "organized" religions available. Some of the members who visit this subforum now and then might tell you about their experiences with those ( @Piney, @HerNibs, ... ). There are also plenty of individualized approaches represented here, too.

Plus, who knows? Maybe searching for a path is as valid a "spiritual exercise" as walking a path you've found.

On a point arising,

4 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm not here to argue biblical minutiae.

Your earlier post was reasonably construed as asking Guyver to back up his claim that divinely approved blood sacrifice appears in the New Testament. He gave a famous example. The ordinary response would be to thank him for fulfilling your request.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Projects said:

I know there has to be a higher power at work

The higher power cannot act - is prohibited from acting - on its own initiative, as that would interfere with the principle of 'free will'.

In The Netherlands we have Ietsism - which translates as Somethingism. We do not bother it and we hope that it does not bother us. It is like living with a cat: we mind our business and the cat minds its business. We just happen to be room-mates.

Have a cup of tea and ignore the cat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Projects said:

Don't look. Make your own place. If you keep looking you will just be a observer in life. 

I was raised a Hicksite Cadburyite Quaker (deist with a church affiliation) and Native American traditionalist, studied Buddhism andTaoism and took all the unnecessary bs out of my belief. Now I'm a deist who meditates.

I contracted celiac and had a stroke which put a slam on my life but I found new activities and hobbies.

Stay positive.

@eight bits  Quakerism is so unorganized in spiritual doctrine now nobody has the same philosophy anymore. :wacko:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Projects said:

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong. I'm not sure what to believe but I know there has to be a higher power at work or I wouldn't be alive today (way too many close calls)

Hmm... Too many close calls?  That sounds like you've made a lot of bad life choices.  You are or should probably become  a Baptist (jk).

For my part I am an Atheist with Buddhist sympathies.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Projects said:

You already know what you believe.  You do not know there has to be a higher power at work. You believe that there is.  And you believe it because of close calls.

The real question is why you believe what you do.  Not that I care, I just think it is important for you to understand in your own mind why you believe what you do.

What is it that makes you so special that an all powerful entity would change the course of the natural world to save  you?   I'm not being any certain way by asking, I'm just posing a question for you to contemplate on your own time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome projects,   I don’t have any answers,  I just like to be, and wonder  ..’this’ makes me wonder about leaves on a tree…do leaves need to understand the tree?   :)   

Edited by lightly
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Projects said:

I was raised in an organized religion, but when I was 18 my life was intercepted by Jesus and everything changed. Like you, I saw the many things that religion has gotten wrong over the years. ‘Religion’ tends to complicate things with rituals and robes, but a relationship leads to understanding. My recommendation is to change directions and seek a simple relationship with Jesus (and fellow followers of Jesus).

And, as you’ve already learned, examine every claim made by the people who present themselves as ‘leaders’. There’s a lot of false leaders out there.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Projects said:

Welcome to UM.

If you want to stay sane, a good HUMAN being, just, open minded, tolerant, forward thinkin and FREE, then stay away from religion, any religion. It will consume you, bring out the worst in you, it will blind you, it will take your soul, your mind and your heart.

• Like 4