Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In what religion do I fit?

Projects

19 hours ago, Piney said:

@eight bits  Quakerism is so unorganized in spiritual doctrine now nobody has the same philosophy anymore. :wacko:

Perhaps Quaker could stick with what they know best like how the Amish make top shelf furniture the Quakers can get back to marketing oatmeal. 

@Projects I like many people here have taken and are still are taking that journey. I was raised a Mormon, left and got in to wiccan beliefs as well as learning about traditional native american traditions through my Siksika (Blackfoot) friends and ended up becoming an atheist.

though I still have friends in the various religious groups I would suggest perhaps finding a secular hobby or at least something that a variety of religious traditions that people practice who can participate in them as well. For instance I run TTRPG’s for friends, particularly Pathfinder, Big Eyes Small Mouth, and the occasional Werewolf the Apocalypse. I also have friends who highly enjoy watching Anime so those are two groups I hang out with and we have a variety of great conversations etc.

Coming here IMO is a good start and if health issues don’t get in the way of doing things outside the interwebs than jump on what you can. You just might be surprised what you find.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, newbloodmoon said:

Perhaps Quaker could stick with what they know best like how the Amish make top shelf furniture the Quakers can get back to marketing oatmeal. 

@Projects I like many people here have taken and are still are taking that journey. I was raised a Mormon, left and got in to wiccan beliefs as well as learning about traditional native american traditions through my Siksika (Blackfoot) friends and ended up becoming an atheist.

though I still have friends in the various religious groups I would suggest perhaps finding a secular hobby or at least something that a variety of religious traditions that people practice who can participate in them as well. For instance I run TTRPG’s for friends, particularly Pathfinder, Big Eyes Small Mouth, and the occasional Werewolf the Apocalypse. I also have friends who highly enjoy watching Anime so those are two groups I hang out with and we have a variety of great conversations etc.

Coming here IMO is a good start and if health issues don’t get in the way of doing things outside the interwebs than jump on what you can. You just might be surprised what you find.

I'm not a people person so pretty much the main interaction I have with people these days is forums, people I see during shopping and of course the people I see or speak to at my doctors. 

Growing up ... I hated being a kid due to my relatives being a little "out there" having certain beliefs that made them extremely ignorant while raising me when I wasn't bouncing in and out of boys homes. I got along better with adults better than kids my own age

I picked up engine repair as a hobby then turned into a career... until I couldn't do it anymore. During that time I loved tinkering on stuff more than being around people and it showed obviously. I remember forgetting about dates or forgetting to go home because I was so deep in a project/job.

Now that medical issues have taken me away from a career I worked extremely hard for... I'm trying to build a life without a career which is still complicated for me even after being out of work roughly 9 years. I have not adjusted well lol.

I was always different no matter where I was because I never followed the pack whether it be religion, career, social interaction etc etc.

It was funny when I was little the neighborhood I lived in greatly encouraged my mother to move us somewhere far enough away that I couldn't have contact with the other kids. This was because I was thinking for myself and asking questions in church that apparently all the other kids picked up on, which the Christian parents DID NOT appreciate lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newbloodmoon said:

We farmed, run the best schools in the country, made furniture and built houses.....

Knock it off with the oatmeal jokes. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Piney said:

We farmed, run the best schools in the country, made furniture and built houses.....

Knock it off with the oatmeal jokes. :o

Well at least Quakers did stuff… other than treasure hunt, call native americans ancient jews, and tell people of color that when they go to heaven, God will turn em white. So comparatively Quakers have fuller marks on humanitarianism. So I suppose I stand corrected.

welcome to the Forums then @Projects 

Edited by newbloodmoon
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, newbloodmoon said:

Well at least Quakers did stuff… other than treasure hunt, call native americans ancient jews, and tell people of color that when they go to heaven, God will turn em white. So comparatively Quakers have fuller marks on humanitarianism. So I suppose I stand corrected.

welcome to the Forums then @Projects 

Quakers have the highest marks in humanitarianism according to the UN. We've done more good things than any other denomination according to their report on us.

Mormons copied Quakers in many ways but only superficially. Not in doctrine. Almost a parody of us.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, newbloodmoon said:

Well at least Quakers did stuff… other than treasure hunt, call native americans ancient jews, and tell people of color that when they go to heaven, God will turn em white so sayeth the mormons. So comparatively Quakers have fuller marks on humanitarianism. So I suppose I stand corrected?

Okay fixed my statement as I didn’t distinguish very clearly between mormons and Quakers

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, newbloodmoon said:

Okay fixed my statement as I didn’t distinguish very clearly between mormons and Quakers

You have to give Mormons one thing. The leadership announced there is a clear separation between church and state and lawmakers should not base their opinions on church doctrine. 

Basically going against the reversal of Roe v Wade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Ultimately one cannot be of service to others if they aren’t of service to themselves too.

Especially if they are no longer capable of discerning how to.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Especially if they are no longer capable of discerning how to.

Oh oh,   I’m not sure I’m discerning what being of  service  to one’s self means. ?    Is it like helping one’s self by trying to take care of yourself?   ..and trying to improve yourself?   …for the sake of yourself AND others?      I can understand being kind to ‘yourself’ and helpful to yourself,    Is that Service?    That word sort of through me!:)   Not at all sure I’ve been a good Master of myself.. so ,maybe not a good servant either. ? :P
       Hi Projects …sorry for wandering off your interesting topic talking about myself.   What have you been thinking about it lately? 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, lightly said:

Oh oh,   I’m not sure I’m discerning what being of  service  to one’s self means. ?    Is it like helping one’s self by trying to take care of yourself?   ..and trying to improve yourself?   …for the sake of yourself AND others?      I can understand being kind to ‘yourself’ and helpful to yourself,    Is that Service?    That word sort of through me!:)   Not at all sure I’ve been a good Master of myself.. so ,maybe not a good servant either. ? :P
       Hi Projects …sorry for wandering off your interesting topic talking about myself.   What have you been thinking about it lately? 

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? Look, Dave, I can see you're really upset about all this. I honestly think you should sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over."

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, lightly said:

What have I been thinking about lately? 

Hmmmmm, for one the religion thing has been thought about quite regularly. I have not adjusted well to being put out of work due to medical issues so I'm always thinking of how to keep my self busy and away from most other people lol. 

There's a whole "why me?" episode I go through as well trying to figure out why I'm still here and what's my purpose and why I'm being put through what I have to go through daily.

I once didn't think too much about religion... those were the days.. I miss them terribly lol.

After a heart surgery went wrong and details were hidden to I guess make it extremely hard to impossible for me to sue... I started looking at life differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing that Projects.   I think I can relate somewhat.. I have health and medical issues too.  Makes ya wonder huh?    
  Sorry your life has changed so drastically , I know it’s hard to adjust to .    Glad your thinking of ways to keep yourself busy..(and have some fun hopefully). .and can still “lol” :tu:        If you don’t mind..how old are you anyway?

I’m old ..so I’m happy to be retired .  

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, lightly said:

Thanks for sharing that Projects.   I think I can relate somewhat.. I have health and medical issues too.  Makes ya wonder huh?    
  Sorry your life has changed so drastically , I know it’s hard to adjust to .    Glad your thinking of ways to keep yourself busy..(and have some fun hopefully). .and can still “lol” :tu:        If you don’t mind..how old are you anyway?

I’m old ..so I’m happy to be retired .  

I'm 39...but I'm sure my body would identify as much older lol

I had plans to retire as well at 35 and be moved to the mountains and let someone else run the business I was fighting to build. Nothing worked out obviously due to I tried to fight the clock of time before certain medical issue's caught up to me.

• Like 1

Uhuh!   What sort of business and what mountains??      If you don’t mind me being nosey…

i’m 70,  and was strong until more recently, so, I can’t really complain too much :)  I can still do a lot of things I love.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, lightly said:

Uhuh!   What sort of business and what mountains??      If you don’t mind me being nosey…

i’m 70,  and was strong until more recently, so, I can’t really complain too much :)  I can still do a lot of things I love.

I was trying to learn as much as I could in the automotive world and trying to learn fabrication as well. I didn't care at the time which mountains as long as I had a view.

Instead of worrying about religion...I was more worried about trying to learn as much as I could from others to have my own shop but I could never get ahead due to fighting degenerative disc disease (DDD) and I pretty much ran out of time... and I was done with that career.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lightly said:

It means nurturing a mind centered in calm and peace, and compassion especially in the challenging moments, the goal being to do no harm to oneself. The point is if one doesn’t focus on harming themselves it is the equivalent of not harming others. There is no distinction between self and others. This translates across any creed or religion or philosophy. This would be being of service to yourself and others. IMHO the add to was for Will. Believing in a  religion in and of itself doesn’t automatically lend to being of service by mere words, it is a practice, it doesn’t ‘matter what religion one is. Working on ourselves is a viable vehicle to practice being of service to self and by default others. “Do unto others…” Just my two cents. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Do unto others…” Just my two

Hi Sherapy

Very true but as a side note I have done things to myself that I wouldn’t do to others because of the risk so I just give them the easy stuff.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy

Very true but as a side note I have done things to myself that I wouldn’t do to others because of the risk so I just give them the easy stuff.:lol:

Do unto others before they can do unto you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy

Good point Jay, I was physically abused as a child, the harm to me and my sisters spoke loud and clear and it was not a behavior I adopted. 

• Thanks 2

Frisbeeism has really turned my life around.  As a Frisbeean we believe upon death our souls are thrown on top of a roof and stay there forever.  We worship no god(s) but tend to show reverence toward the Flying Spaghetti Monster, recognizing a certain salvation in His Noodly Appendages... (Sorry couldn't resist). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Guyver said:

We may live and die and there is nothing

But if you can know the difference between serving others and serving yourself then you can also know the significance of there being an afterlife instead of there being nothing.

Edited by Will Due

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

But if you can know the difference between serving others and serving yourself then you can also know the significance if there is an afterlife instead of there being nothing.

Fixed that. One shouldn’t assume the conclusion. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Will Due said:

But if you can know the difference between serving others and serving yourself then you can also know the significance of there being an afterlife instead of there being nothing.

That's a tenet of Faith, believed in with no factual corroboration, a religious rationalization not exclusive to any one belief system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When in service to his countrymen, Nelson Mandela was facing the ordeal of spending the rest of his life in prison, he no doubt kept the Faith in the afterlife. Where he became the president of South Africa. Factually corroborating that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

55 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Hi Will

What do you mean by service to start with. I provide service for money that is how most of us get paid? Other than that I don’t expect or ask for service from anyone likely the only real service I am is trying to be my best and leave it at that.

I don’t care if there is another life or lives at infinity as I am living this one and don’t remember having lived before so if there is a next life I won’t remember this one anyway. Seems to me that worrying hoping and praying about something that doesn’t matter when I can just go do what I have to do now.

If you get a next life great for you :tu:

• Like 1