Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In what religion do I fit?

Projects

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

But if you can know the difference between serving others and serving yourself then you can also know the significance of there being an afterlife instead of there being nothing.

But the benefit of serving others could just be another aspect of our own cognition and nothing more.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Guyver said:

But the benefit of serving others could just be another aspect of our own cognition and nothing more.

Well if it's nothing more, then the benefit of our own cognition of serving others might just be the most valuable thing possible to have.

28 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Well if it's nothing more, then the benefit of our own cognition of serving others might just be the most valuable thing possible to have.

What others do you serve?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, Projects said:

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong. I'm not sure what to believe but I know there has to be a higher power at work or I wouldn't be alive today (way too many close calls).

I was raised around Christianity and that never made any sense because it seemed different rules applied to everyone no matter what was in the Bible. I won't get into specifics here because I don't want anyone to think I'm looking down on them. I understand my experiences were 1 of many around the world I suppose and honestly it was probably just that community of people that acted like that because they were multiple generations preaching down to others what they thought was right... not what was in the bible.

"No man is born to any religion; he has a religion in his own soul. " ~ Swami Vivekananda

I would say you need to feel your intuitions and allow them to guide you into the spiritual process that is most helpful to you. Practice of present moment awareness or total love enables one to be intuitive.

If this does not work, then you may have to painstakingly research all religious philosophies, till you find one that resonates with your soul.

"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Guyver said:

That word  (service) still throws me ..  If I give of myself by being kind to someone..I do so for their benefit.  …but ,ya, I guess I’m benefitted too ..if it warms my heart to do so.  :wub:

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

And then there are those situations where serving another isn't a benefit at all.

As in the case of serving someone in furthering their corruption.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Will Due said:

Fair enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lightly said:

That word  (service) still throws me ..  If I give of myself by being kind to someone..I do so for their benefit.  …but ,ya, I guess I’m benefitted too ..if it warms my heart to do so.  :wub:

Exactly.  Many people feel good about helping other people, and maybe even feel that there is some divine benefit to it.  But just yesterday I was watching a show, I believe it was called Shark Invasion, and there were some surfers at a popular spot in Australia who noticed a shark stuck on the rocks and tried to help it.  As it turns out, the shark was about 4-5 feet in length and was a baby Great White shark.  So, these surfers picked it up, carried it out to a spot free of rocks, and put it back in the water to swim away, even though in those waters, Great White sharks have killed surfers many times.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, larryp said:

- post removed -

You say so what when I claim that the God of the Bible requires blood sacrifice as if it’s no big deal?  Then you claim that I just don’t understand?  How could it be hard to understand?  There’s nothing complicated about it at all.  It’s simple and horrific.

You know who else was fond of blood sacrifice?  Pretty much every religion of ancient man.  The pagans, and all other religions mentioned and condemned in the Bible, as well as the Mayans, and a host of other people groups who slaughtered humans in blood sacrifice to appease angry gods.  But, you don’t have a problem with it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Guyver said:

You say so what when I claim that the God of the Bible requires blood sacrifice as if it’s no big deal?  Then you claim that I just don’t understand?  How could it be hard to understand?  There’s nothing complicated about it at all.  It’s simple and horrific.

You know who else was fond of blood sacrifice?  Pretty much every religion of ancient man.  The pagans, and all other religions mentioned and condemned in the Bible, as well as the Mayans, and a host of other people groups who slaughtered humans in blood sacrifice to appease angry gods.  But, you don’t have a problem with it.

YHWH

Again, so what you don't understand the atoning qualities that blood has; but then again, you don't understand the mechanics of an automobile either, but you still hop in, don't you? You sit here and strain a gnat, then swallow a camel. It would help if you kept your eyes on the prize and stopped swallowing camels. It might save your life!!

"The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it." Psalms 37:29

Edited by larryp
the details!!

8 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

Again, so what you don't understand the atoning qualities that blood has; but then again, you don't understand the mechanics of an automobile either, but you still hop in, don't you? You sit here and strain a gnat, then swallow a camel. It would help if you kept your eyes on the prize and stopped swallowing camels. It might save your life!!

"The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it." Psalms 37:29

Blood atonement was part of Mormon doctrine and has no bearing on Jewish or mainstream Christian doctrine or belief. 

cormac

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

Seems like ,in the Bible, ya can always find what you what to hear…and what you don’t want to hear?  ;)  

Romans 10 
10 as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;

11  no one understands;

no one seeks for God.

12  All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;

no one does good,

not even one.”

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Blood atonement was part of Mormon doctrine and has no bearing on Jewish or mainstream Christian doctrine or belief. 

cormac

Hi cormac, does this count?     (Same reaction as above..I thought I remembered hearing the word atonement, is all;)   I dunno if I understand really…. you’ve studied religions and history most of your life. 

Leviticus 17:11

11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life.

Edited by lightly

31 minutes ago, lightly said:

Hi cormac, does this count?     (Same reaction as above..I thought I remembered hearing the word atonement, is all;)   I dunno if I understand really…. you’ve studied religions and history most of your life. 

Leviticus 17:11

11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life.

That’s blood sacrifice which ISN’T the same as Blood Atonement as originally conceived of by early Mormons. Blood sacrifice was pretty much abandoned by the Jews by the time of Jerusalem’s fall circa 2000 years ago. And it was effectively morphed into the acceptance of Jesus’ sacrifice for the remission of sins by the Christians. 

cormac

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

That’s blood sacrifice which ISN’T the same as Blood Atonement as originally conceived of by early Mormons. Blood sacrifice was pretty much abandoned by the Jews by the time of Jerusalem’s fall circa 2000 years ago. And it was effectively morphed into the acceptance of Jesus’ sacrifice for the remission of sins by the Christians. 

cormac

Ahhh, thanks a lot cormac.. I suspected I was probably confused.   :rolleyes:   and probably still am because I have no understanding of the early Mormons conception of blood atonement .     (I’ll google it. ;) . .Ah!  early belief of atonement by spilling one’s own blood on the earth.)  ?   thanks again.
      This dictionary describes atonement:  1. Amends or reparation (sacrifice?) made for an injury or a wrong.  (sin?)  
  2. The reconciliation of god and man  (forgiveness?)    

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lightly said:

(I’ll google it. ;) . .Ah!  early belief of atonement by spilling one’s own blood on the earth.)  ?   thanks

Hi Lightly

I have spilt my blood on plenty of jobs christened a few cars with my blood as well so I guess I’m all good then and don’t need to spill anyone else’s.;)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Lightly

I have spilt my blood on plenty of jobs christened a few cars with my blood as well so I guess I’m all good then and don’t need to spill anyone else’s.;)

Been there and done that! Most jobs I've had, if ya ain't bleedein' ya ain't workin'!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Been there and done that! Most jobs I've had, if ya ain't bleedein' ya ain't workin'!

Hi Hammer

Most of the time I don’t even notice till end of day that I had been leaking blood  till when I go to take a shower.:lol:

• Haha 1

I think this fixation on blood atonement arose in Christianity's competition with Mithraism and its rite-of-passage where members ritually bathed in the steaming blood of a slaughtered bull. Hence to be washed in the blood of The Lamb of God.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

Most of the time I don’t even notice till end of day that I had been leaking blood  till when I go to take a shower.:lol:

I'd just tape my cuts up with electrical tape and keep working. I didn't have time to bleed.:no:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'd just tape my cuts up with electrical tape and keep working. I didn't have time to bleed.:no:

Hi Hammer

Yes there seems to be something about the adhesive on electrical tape that kills bacteria as I never get an infection. Had a doctor wig out one time when I went in for stitches and had used electrical tape as they had never seen anyone do that before.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

Yes there seems to be something about the adhesive on electrical tape that kills bacteria as I never get an infection. Had a doctor wig out one time when I went in for stitches and had used electrical tape as they had never seen anyone do that before.

It's sterile because of the chemicals and because the glue is heated to boiling before applied to the tape. It also seals the wound away from contamination. It's an old electrician's solution passed down in the trade.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's sterile because of the chemicals and because the glue is heated to boiling before applied to the tape. It also seals the wound away from contamination. It's an old electrician's solution passed down in the trade.

Hi Hammer

Have been using it for bandages for more than 40 years and they never fall off from flexing or moisture and will use it  always

• Like 3

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

Have been using it for bandages for more than 40 years and they never fall off from flexing or moisture and will use it  always

Not to mention the numbing effect of the adhesive.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

When I go camping/hiking I just take duct tape for cuts or blisters.

Works a treat! A bit rigid until it warms up but has lasted 15+km on the second day after I got a deep blister from the first day with some shoes I hadn’t broken in yet.

Whereas fabric sports strapping tape still flexes and moves with friction from socks/boots and will still aggravate the blister.

• Like 3