Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In what religion do I fit?

Projects

6 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Blood atonement was part of Mormon doctrine and has no bearing on Jewish or mainstream Christian doctrine or belief. 

cormac

The above is found at Cormac 3:5-7  LOL

1 minute ago, larryp said:

The above is found at Cormac 3:5-7  LOL

Your incompetence is noted, thanks for sharing. 

cormac

• Like 2

9 hours ago, larryp said:

YHWH

Again, so what you don't understand the atoning qualities that blood has; but then again, you don't understand the mechanics of an automobile either, but you still hop in, don't you? You sit here and strain a gnat, then swallow a camel. It would help if you kept your eyes on the prize and stopped swallowing camels. It might save your life!!

"The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it." Psalms 37:29

God could make paradise out of the head of a pin, if it exists.  But, blood sacrifice, that goes back to primitive humans afraid of the “thunder of the mountain” - spoken of in the Bible, and by ancients. That would be the volcano…People were afraid of things for a good reason, life was precarious then. A bad year of crops or a flood, could kill off a whole civilization of people.  Or a plague of sickness.  So, people believed that sacrificing to the gods could help them survive.  So, they sacrificed precious things, things with blood.  

This practice made its way into the Bible, which was written much later than the written societies that pre-dated it, like the Sumerians for example, or the Mesopotamians as another, and it is an obvious continuance of blood sacrifice practiced by humans from earlier times.  The fact that the Code of Hammurabi made its way into the Bible through Moses is proof of this phenomenon. The Bible represents ancient primitive cultures and their beliefs about God, which is something that cannot be known. God doesn’t do interviews, so no one even knows if it exists, or what it is, if it does.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

or what it is

Lots of people know what God is. As well as who he is.

"He even dares to assert that he and the Father are one. He says that anyone who has seen him has seen the Father."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Guyver said:

no one even knows

If anybody wants to know what God is, take a look at Jesus.

Do you know where to see him?

"never did Jesus say, “Whoso has heard me has heard God.” ... but to see Jesus is an experience which in itself is a revelation of the Father to the soul.

Spoiler

Edited by Will Due
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, Projects said:

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong

Why not take your own path. If you believe in a God why follow someone else's interpretation?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Lightly

I have spilt my blood on plenty of jobs christened a few cars with my blood as well so I guess I’m all good then and don’t need to spill anyone else’s.;)

Hi j     Yup, i think it’s ok for you to sprinkle it on a car...and the priest can sprinkle blood on the “horns of the alter” !   and “at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation” .  But,  don’t eat any blood  !  Cuz, I wouldn’t want you to be “cut off” or have the Lord set his face against your soul !   :)      The Lord was explaining it all to Moses this morning in Leviticus 17 . :P

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I think this fixation on blood atonement arose in Christianity's competition with Mithraism and its rite-of-passage where members ritually bathed in the steaming blood of a slaughtered bull. Hence to be washed in the blood of The Lamb of God.

When you said Mithraism ,I thought Bull!   ;)    But ya, that’s interesting Hammer.  .maybe that’s how the Old testament alter got it’s horns? Does the timeline make that possible?    Hmmm, I’m remembering and finding references to bulls and horns being important in basically every ancient religion!     Remember Bull jumping!?   Then there was Bull fighting.. there still is Bull roping and riding!     And slinging ; ?

image.jpeg

Edited by lightly

12 hours ago, Timothy said:

Is there a banquet at hand? :su

Fatterned calf !  :)

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Guyver said:

But, blood sacrifice, that goes back to primitive humans afraid of the “thunder of the mountain” - spoken of in the Bible, and by ancients. That would be the volcano…People were afraid of things for a good reason . . .  So, they sacrificed precious things, things with blood.  
This practice made its way into the Bible . . .  

YHWH

Guyver, we've gone over this before. First of all, YHWH would never use human sacrifices. Deuteronomy 18:10 and Secondly, as I said before, so what you don't understand the life atoning quality of blood; YHWH understands, and he's making the rules, pal. There are many things you don't understand, but don't go into a "tizzy" over them. Stop whining and straining gnats. Relax, man, and keep your eyes on the prize at 1 Corinthians 2:9 

1 hour ago, lightly said:

When you said Mithraism ,I thought Bull!   ;)    But ya, that’s interesting Hammer.  .maybe that’s how the Old testament alter got it’s horns? Does the timeline make that possible?    Hmmm, I’m remembering and finding references to bulls and horns being important in basically every ancient religion!     Remember Bull jumping!?   Then there was Bull fighting.. there still is Bull roping and riding!     And slinging ; ?

image.jpeg

Nomadic shepherds had all sorts of horned animals in their lives. Ancient Minoans were hooked on Bulls and their iconography, art and sculpture was replete with horns 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, openozy said:

Why not take your own path. If you believe in a God why follow someone . . .

YHWH

One should choose his path, but be careful!!

This is why: 

". . . broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are finding it." Matthew 7:13

Edited by larryp
the details!!

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Nomadic shepherds had all sorts of horned animals in their lives. Ancient Minoans were hooked on Bulls and their iconography, art and sculpture was replete with horns 

Yup, it looks like anywhere we found horned animals they became important as elements in our belief systems.   I notice a distinct lack of both in ancient South America.   Horned serpents were big in N. America.  ..and of course Bison.  Ancient longhorned bison roamed as far south as Central America…but I can’t seem to find any reference to horned beast worship in Mayan, Incan ,or Aztec beliefs.   Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough yet.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

One should choose his path, but be careful!!

This is why: 

". . . broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are finding it." Matthew 7:13

No I shouldn't, God didn't write it so it's just some person's ramblings.

• Like 4

On 9/11/2022 at 9:52 PM, Projects said:

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong. I'm not sure what to believe but I know there has to be a higher power at work or I wouldn't be alive today (way too many close calls).

I was raised around Christianity and that never made any sense because it seemed different rules applied to everyone no matter what was in the Bible. I won't get into specifics here because I don't want anyone to think I'm looking down on them. I understand my experiences were 1 of many around the world I suppose and honestly it was probably just that community of people that acted like that because they were multiple generations preaching down to others what they thought was right... not what was in the bible.

Christianity was the best if you study it all :)

• Like 1

only read the four gospels of Jesus and his words in the bible 

That's what the gospel, The Good News, is really all about. The four gospels that we find in the New Testament, are of course, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, larryp said:

Yeah, LOL . . .

If God dropped a bible into my hands from the heavens I'd read it until the pages wore out. God didn't write anything, so the bible to me is just fiction. I respect other's beliefs as long as they don't preach or belittle mine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 9/27/2022 at 10:28 PM, Guyver said:

The fact that the Code of Hammurabi made its way into the Bible through Moses is proof of this phenomenon. 

YHWH

The writings have some similarities because many of the laws on both sides are common sense. For example, don't steal my wife; don't kill unborn babies, if a bull harms a neighbor, you pay . . . etc. No big deal!! But there are significant differences between Hammurobi's and Moses' laws. Big difference!

16 hours ago, openozy said:

If God dropped a bible into my hands from the heavens I'd read it until the pages wore out. 

YHWH

No, you wouldn't; you'd say, "This is my life; please stay out of it." If you can't understand the tilt of the earth (which provides us with four seasons), at precisely 23.5 degrees every year, like clockwork, is Devine, then you wouldn't understand any amount of Bibles coming from heaven. So you may as well give it up, pal. :D

18 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

No, you wouldn't; you'd say, "This is my life; please stay out of it." If you can't understand the tilt of the earth (which provides us with four seasons), at precisely 23.5 degrees every year, like clockwork, is Devine, then you wouldn't understand any amount of Bibles coming from heaven. So you may as well give it up, pal. :D

It’s a rather sloppy clock then as it has varied between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees over a 41,000 year period and will continue to decrease for the next 9800 years before increasing again.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1