Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In what religion do I fit?

Projects

2 hours ago, larryp said:

YHWH

No, you wouldn't; you'd say, "This is my life; please stay out of it." If you can't understand the tilt of the earth (which provides us with four seasons), at precisely 23.5 degrees every year, like clockwork, is Devine, then you wouldn't understand any amount of Bibles coming from heaven. So you may as well give it up, pal. :D

I probably would say stay out of my life because I don't need to be shepherded around like a sheep. Divine to me is my freedom and peace without annoying people trying to preach about some invisible idol that lives only in the fantasy land of their minds. God is everything existing, all rolled into one to me, not a fairy tale dude with a beard and robes. What you fail to understand is not everyone has your view and you should accept that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, openozy said:

I probably would say stay out of my life because I don't need to be shepherded around like a sheep. Divine to me is my freedom and peace without annoying people trying to preach about some invisible idol that lives only in the fantasy land of their minds. God is everything existing, all rolled into one to me, not a fairy tale dude with a beard and robes. What you fail to understand is not everyone has your view and you should accept that.

Thanks for sharing that open.    I feel pretty much the same.  It seems like a lot of people do share a similar view?  We just express it differently..different words sometimes ,but, you know.   :)      I’d guess larryp thinks something sort of  similar ?   And I can understand how people think all of creation is special in some way because …it is!*?     Maybe it’s just taught to us that four seasons ,and the sun and moon, and the stars, are  special…and they aren’t .  ?  :P       I mean, iv’e moved on from my Sunday school days thinking too, but I’ll never stop wondering. :wub:

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, lightly said:

Thanks for sharing that open.    I feel pretty much the same.  It seems like a lot of people do share a similar view?  We just express it differently..different words sometimes ,but, you know.   :)      I’d guess larryp thinks something sort of  similar ?   And I can understand how people think all of creation is special in some way because …it is!*?     Maybe it’s just taught to us that four seasons ,and the sun and moon, and the stars, are  special…and they aren’t .  ?  :P       I mean, iv’e moved on from my Sunday school days thinking too, but I’ll never stop wondering. :wub:

I didn't mean to offend but preaching about religion really gets to me as it does most people. I don't like religions with rules because when I die I'm going to meet up with my dogs passed and go hunting in the hills, that's my heaven.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, openozy said:

I didn't mean to offend but preaching about religion really gets to me as it does most people. I don't like religions with rules because when I die I'm going to meet up with my dogs passed and go hunting in the hills, that's my heaven.

No worries open,  personally it gets to me the way religions tend to make god in our image,  things like calling god a ‘jealous god’  or a ‘vengeful god’ .. those are human traits, not universal ones. ?     I dunno…. Happy hunting :)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, lightly said:

No worries open,  personally it gets to me the way religions tend to make god in our image,  things like calling god a ‘jealous god’  or a ‘vengeful god’ .. those are human traits, not universal ones. ?     I dunno…. Happy hunting :)

Like our image is fantastic, lol. I do believe god is pure love which is everything and can't be defeated. I like to think our souls are made of this even though trapped for a while in not so perfect bodies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 2:52 AM, Projects said:

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong. I'm not sure what to believe but I know there has to be a higher power at work or I wouldn't be alive today (way too many close calls).

I was raised around Christianity and that never made any sense because it seemed different rules applied to everyone no matter what was in the Bible. I won't get into specifics here because I don't want anyone to think I'm looking down on them. I understand my experiences were 1 of many around the world I suppose and honestly it was probably just that community of people that acted like that because they were multiple generations preaching down to others what they thought was right... not what was in the bible.

You won`t find much sense in scripture.

I would advise to pick some forms of mysticism, read, and apply.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, larryp said:

YHWH

Guyver, we've gone over this before. First of all, YHWH would never use human sacrifices. Deuteronomy 18:10 and Secondly, as I said before, so what you don't understand the life atoning quality of blood; YHWH understands, and he's making the rules, pal. There are many things you don't understand, but don't go into a "tizzy" over them. Stop whining and straining gnats. Relax, man, and keep your eyes on the prize at 1 Corinthians 2:9 

If God would never use human sacrifices, why was Abraham instructed to slay his beloved son on the altar?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

If God would never use human sacrifices, why was Abraham instructed to slay his beloved son on the altar?

Why do you so often make false accusations about God? 

God never used or wanted human sacrifice for anything.

Humans were the ones who used and wanted human sacrifice for the sake of making bargains.

"There is no more tragic and pathetic experience on record, illustrative of the heart-tearing contentions between ancient and time-honored religious customs and the contrary demands of advancing civilization, than the Hebrew narrative of Jephthah and his only daughter. As was common custom, this well-meaning man had made a foolish vow, had bargained with the “god of battles,” agreeing to pay a certain price for victory over his enemies. And this price was to make a sacrifice of that which first came out of his house to meet him when he returned to his home. Jephthah thought that one of his trusty slaves would thus be on hand to greet him, but it turned out that his daughter and only child came out to welcome him home. And so, even at that late date and among a supposedly civilized people, this beautiful maiden, after two months to mourn her fate, was actually offered as a human sacrifice by her father, and with the approval of his fellow tribesmen. And all this was done in the face of Moses’ stringent rulings against the offering of human sacrifice. But men and women are addicted to making foolish and needless vows, and the men of old held all such pledges to be highly sacred.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Guyver said:

If God would never use human sacrifices, why was Abraham instructed to slay his beloved son on the altar?

Yup.   Abraham had the knife in his hand when an angel (& a ram:) intervened … it was a test of faith.  Abraham passed.. he even believed that if he did sacrifice Issac ..god would raise him up again.     (so it’s written;) ?

25 minutes ago, lightly said:

when an angel (& a ram:) intervened

The only thing that intervened was a man who had come to his senses.

"The spectacle of Abraham constrained to sacrifice his son Isaac, while shocking to civilized susceptibilities, was not a new or strange idea to the men of those days. It was long a prevalent practice for fathers, at times of great emotional stress, to sacrifice their first-born sons. Many peoples have a tradition analogous to this story, for there once existed a world-wide and profound belief that it was necessary to offer a human sacrifice when anything extraordinary or unusual happened.

Edited by Will Due

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

The only thing that intervened was a man who had come to his senses.

"The spectacle of Abraham constrained to sacrifice his son Isaac, while shocking to civilized susceptibilities, was not a new or strange idea to the men of those days. It was long a prevalent practice for fathers, at times of great emotional stress, to sacrifice their first-born sons. Many peoples have a tradition analogous to this story, for there once existed a world-wide and profound belief that it was necessary to offer a human sacrifice when anything extraordinary or unusual happened.

Well, according to the story,  wasn’t the intervening messenger angel sent from god?  And the ram ,an appropriate alternate blood sacrifice, which suddenly appeared?  The point is, god commanded Abraham to kill Issac…didn’t he?  As a test of faith…and Abraham was about to demonstrate his faith to god by killing Issac, but God stopped it.    ?    I dunno…so your saying god wouldn’t have let it happen…and knew all along that it wouldn’t happen..because, he didn’t believe in sacrifices?   ? 

Edited by lightly

5 minutes ago, lightly said:

Well, according to the story,  wasn’t the intervening messenger angel sent from god?  And the ram ,an appropriate alternate blood sacrifice, which suddenly appeared?  The point is, god commanded Abraham to kill Issac…didn’t he?  As a test of faith…and Abraham was about to demonstrate his faith to god by killing Issac, but God stopped it.    ?    I dunno…so your saying god wouldn’t have let it happen…and knew all along that it wouldn’t happen..because, he didn’t believe in sacrifices?   ? 

God had nothing to do with what Abraham was about to do.

Human sacrifice and the concept of blood atonement for the remission of deliberately and knowingly doing the wrong thing (sin) is a man made idea.

God doesn't have anything to do with any of it.

It's just man being at his erroneous worst.

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

God had nothing to do with what Abraham was about to do.

Human sacrifice and the concept of blood atonement for the remission of deliberately and knowingly doing the wrong thing (sin) is a man made idea.

God doesn't have anything to do with any of it.

It's just man being at his erroneous worst.

God said to Abraham, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you” (Genesis 22:2).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lightly said:

God said to Abraham, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you” (Genesis 22:2).

Do you really think a loving God would ask anyone to do such a horrible and despicable thing?

Doesn't it make more sense that whoever wrote a statement like that, is a person who at the very least is extremely unspiritual and equally mistaken about the true nature and reality of God?

Edited by Will Due

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Do you really think a loving God would ask anyone to do such a horrible and despicable thing?

Doesn't it make more sense that whoever wrote a statement like that, is a person who at the very least is extremely unspiritual and equally mistaken about the true nature and reality of God?

With all due respect to lightly it doesn't matter what he nor anyone else currently thinks as that's what has been believed by BILLIONS of Judeo-Christians for at least the last 2000+ years. What you wish to believe has no bearing whatsoever on the beliefs of those same billions of individuals who have believed what the Bible, in all its many forms, has stated. 

cormac

• Like 3

I doubt that for as long as there's been a Bible to believe in, that any thinking person would believe that God would want anyone to murder their own child.

I said thinking person.

Edited by Will Due

30 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I doubt that for as long as there's been a Bible to believe in, that any thinking person would believe that God would want anyone to murder their own child.

I said thinking person.

And yet you don’t speak for the Judeo-Christian believers of the world. Imagine that! 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Doesn't it make more sense that whoever wrote a statement like that, is a person who at the very least is extremely unspiritual and equally mistaken about the true nature and reality of God?

It's an even money bet that the canonical version of the story is a rewrite (where God asks and makes sure Abraham commits violent child abuse, but stays his muderous hand just in the nick of time - a mock execution as the practice is called today).

That is, in the original version, it's seriously possible that Abe simply offed his son and burned the evidence, just as he planned. Even in the current sanitized version, Abraham also tried to kill his older son by turning him and his mother out into the wilderness. God intervened there, too, leaving Abe 0 for 2 as a premeditated child killer, but earning a big-time zero as a fit father.

Thank God it's all just fiction.

• Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And yet you don’t speak for the Judeo-Christian believers of the world. Imagine that! 

cormac

What's a shame is that you don't speak for thinking people. That's pretty obvious.

But having said that, I respect your right not to do that. :tu:

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

What's a shame is that you don't speak for thinking people. That's pretty obvious.

But having said that, I respect your right not to do that. :tu:

Congratulations, you’re even more pretentious than Walker used to be and that’s says a lot. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Have you read the biblical story of Jephthah ?

Jephthah sacrificed his daughter. Unlike the story of Abraham God never stopped Jephthah.

Of course there is also this little story about how God sacrificed his son. You might have heard about it ?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Have you read the biblical story of Jephthah ?

Jephthah sacrificed his daughter. Unlike the story of Abraham God never stopped Jephthah.

Of course there is also this little story about how God sacrificed his son. You might have heard about it ?

Thinking people know that God did not sacrifice his Son. Thinking people know a loving God would never do such a thing. Thinking people know a loving God would never require such a thing.

The Jewish high priests conspired to have the Romans kill him because they didn't like the fact that if the people were to follow Jesus in doing the Father's will like he taught them to do, it would put the high priests out of business. 

Have you ever thought about that?

Edited by Will Due

When Abraham didn't sacrifice his son Isaac, going against all religious tradition of the times, and it then became in biblical terms something to be held up as a great event, this shows that God does not desire that humans kill humans as a religious sacrifice, which is something all thinking people already know.

Edited by Will Due

To paraphrase myself: The early version of God was a savage tribal deity, reputedly exhorting his followers to loot, pillage, rape and enslave, a god of battle, of genocide, of hatred, prejudice, racism, misogyny and murder. An evil and malign deity, who set loose his angel of death to murder Egyptian children in their beds. Every act of violence and murder in the Old Testament committed by the Chosen People is attributed to the will of God. Every act of violence, oppression and murder committed against Israel is attributed to the wrath of God and his displeasure with them. The Christian God doesn't get a pass, either with the bloody pogroms, inquisitions and crusades ordered in his name. It's no wonder some people find the delightful woo-fantasy of Urantia relieving and refreshing. Of course, these are versions of God interpreted through the lens of different members of humanity, past and present, who are from different social, economic, cultural and religious perspectives and by different spin-doctors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It does appear, for the time being, some have chosen to take the position that on their own, they are incapable of determining God's reality. A sort of self-induced handicap.

In one case it's "all fiction".

In another, it's just a fantasy. :tu:

Edited by Will Due