Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In what religion do I fit?

Projects

18 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You would honestly think that the only rule would be "don't be a prick".

That's the Golden Rule in a nutshell. Everybody has that one. 

The other Algonquian "one rule" is "all evil (sin) compounds into a lie". 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ove said:

No, the partakers feel clean (holy) and connected to Christ.

Yes, the body of Christ has become enormous, in this recycling process.

Sorry, I don't believe it. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sorry, I don't believe it. 

Don’t be sorry, anyone can and does attach some kind of narrative to their belief system. for me, working on trying not to attach narratives over and beyond what is needed serves only me. :D

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can’t stand Jesus Christ Superstar.  It’s just not a production I enjoy in the least.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2RO0NyDuuEXfiaFz5fF3

All Hail the mighty Bastet. :w00t:

cormac

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Will Due said:

I understand why you said that. But can you remove yourself from the statements being dogma as you say?

Can you treat those statements as standing alone as being either true or false?

If you think they're false statements, please explain, standing alone and outside of the fact that they are printed in the UB, please tell me why you think they're either false or a fantasy. I really want to know why you don't think they are true statements.

Hi Will

Because it does not stand up for critical review which has been discussed several times. Outdated science, not skeletal artifacts that show domesticated animals exited 40+ thousands of years ago or humans as described in the UB on land where a peninsula once was or evidence that there ever was one.

The Jesus, Joseph, Mary on every planet brings up a multitude of problems one being this planet is the only one that revolted and needed a blood sacrifice.

You deflect from actually answering questions rather then just saying I don’t know. You have admitted that you don’t use all of what the UB says and focus on the parts about Jesus. It would seem that the depth of your interest or belief of what either the UB or the bible says is quite limited to the comfortable bits and ignore the rest.

How you tailor/interpret both of them to your end is no less a fabrication than the UB itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Because it does not stand up for critical review 

I'm not talking about the UB. When I say that it's mistake to reject truth, I'm not talking about rejecting the UB. Is that so hard for all you people to understand? I'm talking about truth. Can you get the UB out of your freaking mind for a second?

Is it a mistake to willfully reject truth? Y/N

11 hours ago, Ove said:

That does not answer my question.

He gave his blood to his followers, not to God.

Hi Ove

He can only look at us through the blood of Christ because we are an abomination.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know, some whiners in this thread have complained certain people were preaching, and they invoke forum rules. I say BS.  Let ‘em preach.  I used to preach like a house afire.  Ain’t that some ****?, Anyway, my father in law once told me an interesting saying.  He lives to this day.  He is a war hero.  He flew F-4’s in Nam.  Anyway, his saying was this….”Skill and cunning over ignorance and superstition every time.” 

It means that the best argument wins.  Let ‘em preach.  A good argument can defeat preaching unless your dealing with Adolf Hitler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I'm not talking about the UB. When I say that it's mistake to reject truth, I'm not talking about rejecting the UB. Is that so hard for all you people to understand? I'm talking about truth. Can you get the UB out of your freaking mind for a second?

Is it a mistake to willfully reject truth? Y/N

Hi Will

Your truth is unique to you end of story, yes all humans share certain qualities mostly built on social interaction. With population growing at the rate it is and people moving all over the globe each with their traditions and laws all based on human observations our society and culture evolve to incorporate everyone. What you think is true may not actually be a social norm if you do not evolve with the world around you.

Really there is not much in my life that I question if it’s true or not I can care about the world without making everyone’s belief my belief all I have to do is accept that it is their belief.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Guyver said:

If God were not pleased, why would Christ have shed his blood?  You need the actual word pleased to be convinced?  

Isaiah 53:10 - “Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. When You make His soul an offering for sin, He shall see Hisseed, He shall prolong His days, And the pleasure of the Lordshall prosper in His hand.”

You said: "Have you studied the Bible much? ;In the Old Testament and the New it teaches that God is pleased by blood sacrifice"

I said: "Where does the New Testament teach that God is pleased by blood sacrifice ?"

Isaiah 53:10 is a quote from the Old Testament. Do you have a New Testament quote that says God is pleased by blood sacrifice ?

Christ died for us, not for God. Christ gave us his blood, his life, he didn't give it to God. He suffered for us, not for God.

Edited by Ove

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

You know, some whiners in this thread have complained certain people were preaching, and they invoke forum rules. I say BS.  Let ‘em preach.  I used to preach like a house afire.  Ain’t that some ****?, Anyway, my father in law once told me an interesting saying.  He lives to this day.  He is a war hero.  He flew F-4’s in Nam.  Anyway, his saying was this….”Skill and cunning over ignorance and superstition every time.” 

It means that the best argument wins.  Let ‘em preach.  A good argument can defeat preaching unless your dealing with Adolf Hitler.

Hi Guyver

If a person with a full knowledge of  the actual belief of the doctrine of what they preach and engage productivity in as discussion I don’t see a problem. Most of us have been here for more than a decade and understand the nuances of other members arguments. I am not here looking for something to believe in as I am challenging my own beliefs few that they are and maybe adapt some aspects of how I see and interpret my life.

I don’t see Will or anyone else as a bad person, odd or eccentric yes of course just as I expect others might see me. The only life I have lived is mine so I like to observe how others interpret their life here is no different as far as types of thinker feelers go than it is in my day to day life dealing with a culturally diverse highly populated area and meet many people with interesting perspectives and insights. I don’t have a problem with any of them really even if we disagree.

if someone wants to make a claim about a belief or “truth” based on an interpretation of a religious text. Then it is fair to question how well versed they are on the religion their belief is based on as well as their interpretation of it.

You are one of many of the members here like Hammer, Cormac, Ejight Bits that have an understanding of not just Christianity’s text and history so my expectations are that someone needs to be well versed in a subject if they want to “ preach”.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ove said:

Not  a word about "God is pleased by blood sacrifice"

It says Christ's blood purifies from sins. That's one of the reasons Christians drink it.

At least they pretend to like many other things.

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Will

Your truth is unique to you end of story, yes all humans share certain qualities mostly built on social interaction. With population growing at the rate it is and people moving all over the globe each with their traditions and laws all based on human observations our society and culture evolve to incorporate everyone. What you think is true may not actually be a social norm if you do not evolve with the world around you.

Really there is not much in my life that I question if it’s true or not I can care about the world without making everyone’s belief my belief all I have to do is accept that it is their belief.

Jay, what the hell does any of that have to do with willfully rejecting something you know, think or believe is true?

And whether or not it would be a mistake to do so?

Edited by Will Due

5 hours ago, Guyver said:

You know, some whiners in this thread have complained certain people were preaching, ...

Whiner here. No, I remember how you used to post. You had a point of view, and you advocated for it, but you discussed what you believed, and so you were consistently interesting to speak with. No less so now.

I can’t stand Jesus Christ Superstar.  It’s just not a production I enjoy in the least.

Perhaps some Godspell then. The original version of this song was composed and written by Steven Schwartz for the 1973 film. He reworked the number as a standalone response to the 1992 riots in Los Angeles following the beating of Rodney King. Schwartz reworked it again for the Broadway revival about a decade ago. The song has a distinctive blend of a timeliness and yet it is a timeless ballad. Now it's timely again, I think. Слава Україні/Sláva Ukrayíni.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, Projects said:

I'm trying to figure out in what religion do I belong. I'm not sure what to believe but I know there has to be a higher power at work or I wouldn't be alive today (way too many close calls).

So have you figured out what religion you should belong to yet Projects?

• Like 1

I don’t belong to my beliefs   my beliefs belong to me.  . .I believe we are like clouds which form from and evaporate into one sky? :)   my beliefs are just questions..not answers 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Guyver said:

I only like it in the original album form. It's very mediocre as a play and the movie was painful to watch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

Jay, what the hell does any of that have to do with willfully rejecting something you know, think or believe is true?

And whether or not it would be a mistake to do so?

Give us a list of these truths you're talking about. You never do that. Let me help you.

The "truths" about Jesus Christ in Calvinist Protestantism aren't exactly the same as they are in Lutheranism or Catholicism and are radically different from the "truths" of Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness and your beloved Urantiaism. All use some of the same symbols, but with subtle, or even radically different meanings. So, the safest thing for someone who wishes to preserve the definitions and meanings to which they are wedded by belief is to summarily dismiss other belief systems, out-of-hand, as distortions or corruptions of those definitions they hold dear, to avoid confusion. That way, they remain comfortable with and within the same belief framework of family, friends and other like-mind people.

Also, the fire and brimstone sermon has no context in Urantiaism, which has neither final judgment, damnation nor Hell.

Early man entertained no ideas of hell or future punishment. The savage looked upon the future life as just like this one, minus all ill luck. Later on, a separate destiny for good ghosts and bad ghosts--heaven and hell--was conceived ~ The Urantia Book86:4.7 (953.6)

God is the Father; man is his son. Love, the love of a father for his son, becomes the central truth in the universe relations of Creator and creature--not the justice of a king which seeks satisfaction in the sufferings and punishment of the evil-doing subject. ~ The Urantia Book188:5.1 (2017.9)

Always keep in mind: True religion is to know God as your Father and man as your brother. Religion is not a slavish belief in threats of punishment or magical promises of future mystical rewards. ~ The Urantia Book99:5.2 (1091.1)

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ove said:

You said: "Have you studied the Bible much? ;In the Old Testament and the New it teaches that God is pleased by blood sacrifice"

I said: "Where does the New Testament teach that God is pleased by blood sacrifice ?"

Isaiah 53:10 is a quote from the Old Testament. Do you have a New Testament quote that says God is pleased by blood sacrifice ?

Christ died for us, not for God. Christ gave us his blood, his life, he didn't give it to God. He suffered for us, not for God.

The only reason he had to suffer for us and sacrifice his precious blood to save us, is because his father, the Angry God of the Old Testament was going to burn us all in hellfire for eternity if he didn’t.  Yet, I’m reminded of what the Bible says about LOVE in 1 Corinthians chapter 13.

”4 Love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous; love does not brag, it is not arrogant. 5 It does not act disgracefully, it does not seek its own benefit; it is not provoked, does not keep an account of a wrong suffered, 6 it does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 it [b]keeps every confidence, it believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.”

See there?  Love does not keep an account of a wrong suffered.  So, if God loved us, he wouldn’t be angry and Jesus wouldn’t have to be sacrificed.  God (Love) could have forgiven us simply because it wanted to and because that is it’s nature.

• Like 3