Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cosmic rays initiate bit flips in computing equipment

Frank_Hoenedge

I claim zero special powers or gifts and do not even believe in them but i will predict right here that if trump runs 2024 ( he will lose) and if he looses ( he would bigly ) he will bellow and bray that cosmic rays were used to steal the election from him.

backingout.gif.ee06af015dbe176b83665c23167b6e47.gif

• Haha 4

On 9/13/2022 at 10:17 PM, Frank_Hoenedge said:

A cosmic ray can distort cumpational data.

An opinion piece here discusses the phenomena

There are also YouTube videos covering the topics in the description.

As yet, this phenomena has not been announced as having affected solar observatories.

Quote:

"[1] Spacecraft are especially susceptible to bit flipping from cosmic rays because they are out from under the radiation shield we enjoy on Earth’s surface."

That would mean there's a big chance the data sent back to earth by interplanetary spacecrafts are in error.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:17 PM, Frank_Hoenedge said:

As yet, this phenomena has not been announced as having affected solar observatories.

Yes, a high energy particle can flip a bit inside a computer chip.

Materials science can reduce it a bit, but the major breakthrough came from having duplicated computer systems. 

On 9/13/2022 at 1:17 PM, Frank_Hoenedge said:

Uhm, because the issue is addressed not only by specially hardened hardware, but also by having mission critical systems duplicated and in parallel. This practice has been common since the beginning of the space age. 

So, what’s your point? Are you saying that people sending stuff into space is not aware of this issue?

On 9/18/2022 at 11:15 PM, badeskov said:

So, what’s your point? Are you saying that people sending stuff into space is not aware of this issue?

I wasn’t, I was saying that some countries are being left behind. To the level of an election being interrupted due to a bit flip many years ago, whilst cutting edge exploration craft seem to be immune despite their location being a higher risk.

On 9/20/2022 at 9:56 AM, Frank_Hoenedge said:

I wasn’t, I was saying that some countries are being left behind. To the level of an election being interrupted due to a bit flip many years ago, whilst cutting edge exploration craft seem to be immune despite their location being a higher risk.

The risk of any election being distorted du to a bit is simply so small that wouldn’t register. We use such hardware all the time and not problems have ever arisen. How often do you see your PC do any bit flips of any consequence? Most of such hardware go through rigorous reliability testing.

The atmosphere pretty much takes care of that issue, which is why space faring nations have to add a couple of additional, protective layers.

1. Parts are hardened   
2. Often they come in triplicates and do a “software voting” on the result  

5 hours ago, badeskov said:

The risk of any election being distorted du to a bit is simply so small that wouldn’t register. We use such hardware all the time and not problems have ever arisen. How often do you see your PC do any bit flips of any consequence? Most of such hardware go through rigorous reliability testing.

The atmosphere pretty much takes care of that issue, which is why space faring nations have to add a couple of additional, protective layers.

1. Parts are hardened   
2. Often they come in triplicates and do a “software voting” on the result  

I wanted to build muon detector (DIY) since long time ago... Being lazy shmuck, still on preparation stage :lol: