Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain braces for invasion of 'ultra-rats' the size of rabbits

UM-Bot

I’m somewhat of a ‘survivalist’, so when reading the OP my thoughts immediately went to:   “Will it fit in the crockpot?”.
From the BBC:

“On 7 March every year, in a remote village in the hills of north-east India, the Adi tribe celebrates Unying-Aran, an unusual festival with rats as the culinary centrepiece. One of the Adi’s favourite dishes is a stew called bule-bulak oying, made with the rat’s stomach, intestines, liver, testes, foetuses, all boiled together with tails and legs plus some salt, chili and ginger.

Rodents of all kind are welcomed in this community, from the household rats often seen around the house to the wild species that dwell in the forest. The rat's tail and feet are particularly appreciated for their taste, says Victor Benno Meyer-Rochow, at Oulu University, Finland, who interviewed several members of the Adi tribe for a recent study into rats as a food resource.”

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20151207-the-countries-where-rats-are-on-the-menu

And for those of you with more cultured tastes:

https://matadornetwork.com/nights/4-delectable-rodents-and-the-wines-that-go-with-them/

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, simplybill said:

...One of the Adi’s favourite dishes is a stew called bule-bulak oying, made with the rat’s stomach, intestines, liver, testes, foetuses, all boiled together with tails and legs plus some salt, chili and ginger...

This idea must have come about, after kitchen help were assigned to prepare Haggis for some resident Scott, during colonial times

Edited by Autistocrates
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Autistocrates said:

This idea must have come about, after kitchen help were assigned to prepare Haggus for some resident Scott, during colonial times

Interesting. I looked it up on Wikipedia and was surprised at how versatile it is. This caught my eye:

“Haggis is often served in Scottish fast-food establishments, in the shape of a large sausage and deep fried in batter. Together with chips, this comprises a "haggis supper". A "haggis burger" is a patty of fried haggis served on a bun. A "haggis pakora" is another deep fried variant, available in some Indian restaurants in Scotland. Haggis can be used as an ingredient in other dishes, even pizza, rather than the main part of a dish.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

If I someday visit Scotland, I will definitely order a haggis burger with chips. Sounds wonderful!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

Interesting. I looked it up on Wikipedia and was surprised at how versatile it is. This caught my eye:

“Haggis is often served in Scottish fast-food establishments, in the shape of a large sausage and deep fried in batter. Together with chips, this comprises a "haggis supper". A "haggis burger" is a patty of fried haggis served on a bun. A "haggis pakora" is another deep fried variant, available in some Indian restaurants in Scotland. Haggis can be used as an ingredient in other dishes, even pizza, rather than the main part of a dish.”

Rat is sounding a lot better :sleepy:

• Haha 1

Who knows. Maybe, you've already eaten more of your share of them, without even knowing

I am curious how it was concluded that giant rats are coming in two weeks. I understand that they move in due to the weather. But?

Well, the good thing is that the bigger they are the harder it is for them to hide. Just imagine a rat the size of a cat trying to get down a drainage pipe.

The bigger they are the easier to process as a food source. Best is to wait along the road as some will become flattened by the ongoing traffic: Then you can just put them on the BBQ. The tail will become hard like a sate stick.