Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare deep-sea shark found in Australia branded ‘stuff of nightmares’

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

An Australian fisherman discovered a unique-looking creature that has been branded “the stuff of nightmares.”

The large-eyed shark was pulled lifeless from the sea off the Australian coast with a protruding white mouth and teeth and a pointed nose resembling a dog.

Trapman Bermagui from Sydney was baffled by his unlikely catch from 2,133 feet underwater.

The photo shared on social caused a stir online as users commented on its appearance and tried to confirm what it was.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rare-deep-sea-shark-found-142818603.html

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/39977/20220916/rare-deep-sea-shark-protruding-eyes-teeth-shocks-fisherman-australia.htm

• Like 6

Guess I don't see the 'nightmare' aspect.  Looks like a pretty run of the mill shark to me.

• Like 2

Oh for ****'s sake! It's just an ordinary deep sea shark.

Do people these days never watch nature documentaries or look into books about animal species?

Everything is a "weird unkown creature" or "the stuff of nightmares" these days.
By now we can probably expect somebody filming a cow and labeling it as "weird alien creature! Never seen before! You will be SHOCKED!"

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

They find a new species of Shark so they kill it, that really sucks!:angry:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

It was dead when they found it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

It was dead when they found it. 

Thanks for the update, I must have missed that in the link!:tu:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Thanks for the update, I must have missed that in the link!:tu:

All good mate :tu:

They don't survive in the waters being fished. Too shallow. They are built for the tremendous pressure of the deep sea. 

The large-eyed shark was pulled lifeless from the sea

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

All they said that it *could* *possibly* be a new species. They said it looks like an already known species of Kitefin shark.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Orphalesion said:

All they said that it *could* *possibly* be a new species. They said it looks like an already known species of Kitefin shark.

Thanks for the update, and apparently I was also wrong when I said they killed it because it was found dead so I am screwing up by the numbers today!:D

1 minute ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Thanks for the update, and apparently I was also wrong when I said they killed it because it was found dead so I am screwing up by the numbers today!:D

I also made a mistake. They are apparently considering several identities for this shark, one possibility is some kind of kitefin shark, another possibility is an "endeavour dog shark" and it could also be a new species because it appears the several deep sea sharks look similar to each other and so it's difficult to tell.

When I first saw it I thought it was a Chimera or "Ghost Shark" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimaera

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dang that's ugly.

The teeth remind me of the 'slingshot' jaws of the Goblin shark. I don't think it is one though.

26how.gif

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Amorlind said:

Deep sea shark...

Did the title give it away?

• Haha 1

Is there information on it's size anywhere?

On 9/17/2022 at 2:57 PM, Orphalesion said:

I also made a mistake. They are apparently considering several identities for this shark, one possibility is some kind of kitefin shark, another possibility is an "endeavour dog shark" and it could also be a new species because it appears the several deep sea sharks look similar to each other and so it's difficult to tell.

When I first saw it I thought it was a Chimera or "Ghost Shark" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimaera

It could be a drop-shark.

:ph34r:

• Haha 1