Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We can find alien life within 25 years, claims astrophysicist

UM-Bot

"We need to gain deeper understanding about the plausible building blocks of life, the pathways and the timescales of chemical reactions and the external conditions to help us prioritize target stars and target planets," he said."

I really, really hope they will find signs of life 'out there' during my lifetime.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

What surprises me the most is how some adamantly believe the life on Earth is the only life among trillions of galaxies

Dang, talk about narcissism.

Isn't that only like fundamental religious beliefs these days?

Who actually says that? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pallidin said:

What surprises me the most is how some adamantly believe the life on Earth is the only life among trillions of galaxies

Dang, talk about narcissism.

It's not narcissism. It's a statistical possibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Of what, no life other than on Earth in the entire universe? Or that statically there is other life.

You confused me and my pea brain.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Of what, no life other than on Earth in the entire universe? Or that statically there is other life.

Both are statistically possible, and with absolutely no evidence to show that one is more likely we have to assume (at this point) that they're equality as likely.

In fact it's even possible that it's more likely that there would be no life anywhere in the universe and our Earth beat tremendous odds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Both are statistically possible, and with absolutely no evidence to show that one is more likely we have to assume (at this point) that they're equality as likely.

In fact it's even possible that it's more likely that there would be no life anywhere in the universe and our Earth beat tremendous odds.

Seriously, you believe that no life exists anywhere else in our incredibly vast universe than our planet?

Well, carry-on.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, astrobeing said:

Rare Earth Hypothesis. I'm in agreement with it when It comes to technological life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally would not be very surprised if some form of the alien life is found elsewhere in the universe. Well, here on planet Earth we have a examples of almost alien-life creatures:

1. A bacterium that lives off nuclear energy:

https://www.sciencealert.com/bacterium-lives-off-nuclear-energy-alien-life-europa

2. bacteria that lives in extreme environment of the sulfur pools at Yellowstone

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/237933-deep-dwelling-extremophiles-could-rewrite-understanding-where-extraterrestrial-life-could-take-hold

• Like 2

No other intelligent life anywhere has its up side as we can proclaim ourselves Gods. 

And there would be no one to suggest otherwise. 

Although I'm sure that once I get some From God stickers printed for Xmas cards those pesky aliens will turn up. :blink: :lol:

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, pallidin said:

Seriously, you believe that no life exists anywhere else in our incredibly vast universe than our planet?

Seriously, you don't know what "statistically possible" means?

Yes, it's possible that we are the only life in the incredibly vast universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I personally would not be very surprised if some form of the alien life is found elsewhere in the universe. Well, here on planet Earth we have a examples of almost alien-life creatures:

1. A bacterium that lives off nuclear energy:

https://www.sciencealert.com/bacterium-lives-off-nuclear-energy-alien-life-europa

2. bacteria that lives in extreme environment of the sulfur pools at Yellowstone

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/237933-deep-dwelling-extremophiles-could-rewrite-understanding-where-extraterrestrial-life-could-take-hold

These are not examples of abiogenesis. Both examples are products of evolution from existing life on our exceptional planet so they don't prove anything about the likelihood of life somehow appearing on another planet.

23 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

... so they don't prove anything about the likelihood of life somehow appearing on another planet.

Maybe not, But still, it shows us that a life can thrive in very extreme environments

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Maybe not, But still, it shows us that a life can thrive in very extreme environments

Highlanders are proof of that. :o

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

You think those are very extreme environments? Take a look at the typical environments of, well, any other planet in our solar system. Extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme temperature changes, extreme pressures, extreme radiation, scalding chemicals, and every imaginable condition destructive to life as we know it. Those are the kinds of planets that our universe produces mostly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, astrobeing said:

A guy was about to cross a river. According to statistics he had read about beforehand the river was on avarage 3 feet deep. The guy, who couldn't swim, was 6 feet tall.

He drowned.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

A guy was about to cross a river. According to statistics he had read about beforehand the river was on avarage 3 feet deep. The guy, who couldn't swim, was 6 feet tall.

He drowned.

Didn't he factor in currents? 

......don't hit me....:unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3