Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We can find alien life within 25 years, claims astrophysicist

UM-Bot

47 minutes ago, NCC1701 said:

There could be large clouds or structures of matter in the universe that interact in such a way that intelligence and even consciousness is formed similar to that of our ow brain. But it does not qualify as life in our defenition of life.

The Universe is structured like a brain with galactic filaments connecting galaxies. Which makes us pantheists correct in a way.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Universe is structured like a brain with galactic filaments connecting galaxies.

I find that concept very interesting.  All of the trillions upon trillions of galaxies are swirling around in an other wise empty universe...not...they are swirling around in something...call it dark matter or what...I don't know...but when one leaves the atmosphere...one is not suddenly  in the midst of nothing...one is in the midst of  'something'.  Please someone, tell me what that something is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Honestly panspermia is more likely than not. Why else would tardigrades and viruses be adapted to make it through space? There is no way that all of space is full of matter and it is acting differently here than everywhere else. Life is too resilient.

The source of the panspermia contaminant would likely need to be relatively local.  That suggests that SETI is a viable method for finding ETL.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Piney said:

And solar flares wipe out anything in the "Goldilocks Zone" around red dwarfs.

I think there is life out there. Just not technological because we are a first generation rocky planet with metals around a unusually quiet yellow sun. You would also need just the right amount of oxygen for fire to develop said technology. Too much or too little and you would have no fire or uncontrollable fire.

Thank you!  There is just not much reason to think that life develops faster than it did right here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

We are so special.  I disagree, it is more likely we are just so isolated we have no way of knowing and too far out for anyone who might to come looking.

"Likely"? Based on what evidence?

21 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Of course there is a chance we are unique. But I think that chance is infinitely small. Why do you think we, or life forms in general could be unique? Just because no alien life forms have been detected up to now?

Correct. As I've explained at least two times so far, you need evidence to determine a likelihood. We have no such evidence therefore all possibilities are equally probable.

Your thought "that chance is infinitely small" is based on absolutely no evidence therefore it's meaningless.

Ok. This is what I expect will happen one day: scientists create life from inorganic matter. Maybe with the help of artificial intelligence.

Your hopes are being strongly influenced by science fiction.

The laws of the universe are about infinitely large numbers.

What you consider 'fortuitous changes' may be rule.

There is nothing that suggests that the changes that have happened on Earth that promoted life were demanded by any physical laws. Everything suggests that they were caused by luck and random events.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Your hopes are being strongly influenced by science fiction.

It's not.

And what are your assumptions based on? Religion?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, astrobeing said:

There is nothing that suggests that the changes that have happened on Earth that promoted life were demanded by any physical laws. Everything suggests that they were caused by luck and random events.

Please explain "everything suggests that they were caused by luck and random events".

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Let me mention Jupiter's moon Europa. It is not a planet, but in any case it is a very interesting object in the space. I don't believe that a conditions in the ocean below ice sheet on this moon are anywhere near as extreme as, say, in the sulfur pools at Yellowstone Park.

What do you base this belief on? As far as I know, we haven't yet penetrated Europa's ice yet so everything about the conditions under it is pure speculation at this point. We know that the conditions under the ice were liquid at some point in time but we don't know if it's still liquid right now.

3 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

It's not.

Using AI to create life? That is straight out of science fiction. Show me a paper in a scientific journal about it.

4 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

And what are your assumptions based on? Religion?

As if I've said three times, four times, I don't know how many times, evidence and mathematics. Are you purposely ignoring what I say or do you just not understand?

Just now, astrobeing said:

Using AI to create life? That is straight out of science fiction. Show me a paper in a scientific journal about it.

I did not get it from scifi. I follow the latest developments of AI.  It may take a century or less, but with the help of AI I think we will get results.

3 minutes ago, astrobeing said:
9 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

As if I've said three times, four times, I don't know how many times, evidence and mathematics. Are you purposely ignoring what I say or do you just not understand?

What 'evidence'? There is none.

Mathematics? No sir, it's statistics.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Please explain "everything suggests that they were caused by luck and random events".

My gosh, you want me to explain how the Oxidation Event ended and how cycles like the oxygen and nitrogen cycles formed? You believe that the laws of the universe demanded that water be delivered to Earth? Why do you believe Earth had to have a neutral N₂ atmosphere?

Why do you believe these things had to happen? Religion?

Just now, Abramelin said:

I did not get it from scifi. I follow the latest developments of AI.  It may take a century or less, but with the help of AI I think we will get results.

Hey, direct me to the non-science fiction scientific papers that predict what AI will be in a century. :lol:

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

What 'evidence'? There is none.

Congratulations! You figured it out! Your beliefs are based on no evidence whatsoever. It only took me a half dozen posts.

3 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Mathematics? No sir, it's statistics.

Uh, you said you took statistics in college, right? Do you remember which department taught that class? Well, in every school I know of, statistics is taught by the Mathematics Department and it's considered a branch of mathematics. Because, like, it uses numbers.

I have to wonder why am I talking to someone who doesn't think statistics is mathematics.

2 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Hey, direct me to the non-science fiction scientific papers that predict what AI will be in a century. :lol:

I am not using papers. It's what I expect will happen within a century.

4 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Congratulations! You figured it out! Your beliefs are based on no evidence whatsoever. It only took me a half dozen posts.

I told you before, too. Heh.

4 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

I have to wonder why am I talking to someone who doesn't think statistics is mathematics.

Statistics uses math, but it isn't math. Comprendes?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

What do you base this belief on? As far as I know, we haven't yet penetrated Europa's ice yet so everything about the conditions under it is pure speculation at this point. We know that the conditions under the ice were liquid at some point in time but we don't know if it's still liquid right now.

''From ground-based telescopes, scientists knew that Europa's surface is mostly water ice, and scientists have found strong evidence that beneath the ice crust is an ocean of liquid water or slushy ice''.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, astrobeing said:

"Likely"? Based on what evidence?

What is your problem, everyone posts their opinion, there is nothing but opinion on this subject because we do not have enough information, but you choose my comment to insist on Evidence?   If this topic bothers you because people don't agree with your OPINION then go somewhere else.   What Evidence do you have to support Your Opininion?  NONE!

• Like 4

I demand evidence on the interwebz!

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2022 at 10:19 AM, jethrofloyd said:

''From ground-based telescopes, scientists knew that Europa's surface is mostly water ice, and scientists have found strong evidence that beneath the ice crust is an ocean of liquid water or slushy ice''.

I haven't seen this evidence. All I've found is that scientists believe that the ice is at least fifty miles thick and they think it would be great if it were liquid below it but haven't found any definitive evidence to support this hope.

8 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

What is your problem, everyone posts their opinion, there is nothing but opinion on this subject because we do not have enough information, but you choose my comment to insist on Evidence?  

OK, you don't have any evidence. Thank you very much for answering my question and I hope you have a great week.

8 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

If this topic bothers you because people don't agree with your OPINION then go somewhere else. 

It doesn't bother me at but it clearly bothers you. Perhaps you should go somewhere else.

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2022 at 9:48 AM, Abramelin said:

Statistics uses math, but it isn't math. Comprendes?

The laws of statistics were developed by using the laws of mathematics. Saying it isn't mathematics changes nothing even in Spanish.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

OK, you don't have any evidence. Thank you very much for answering my question and I hope you have a great week.

It doesn't bother me at but it clearly bothers you. Perhaps you should go somewhere else.

No what bothers me, which I clearly stated, was that you asked for evidence.  Evidence on a subject that is subjective, which means there is no evidence, just opinion or a guess based on personal perceptions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

The laws of statistics were developed by using the laws of mathematics. Saying it isn't mathematics changes nothing even in Spanish.

The only law of statistics that I have seen is the law of ignoring data that does not fit what you are implying with your statistics.  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

Um....I'm not sure if this is relevant. Just one aspect of a larger equation though. Still need many factors that life on earth benefitted from though.

NASA Scientists Confirm Water Vapor on Europa

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2019/nasa-scientists-confirm-water-vapor-on-europa

Earthly comparison hints at shallow liquid water on Jupiter’s moon

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/astronomy/shallow-liquid-water-europa/

• Like 4