Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We can find alien life within 25 years, claims astrophysicist

UM-Bot

1 minute ago, Black Red Devil said:

So, basically translated, our existence can closely be described as a miracle, yeah? 

It depends on which definition of "miracle" you're using. We are certainly the result of a series of extraordinary events but they can all be explained without supernatural influences.

2 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Do you think a supreme being could be responsible for this miracle?

No supreme beings needed!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

It depends on which definition of "miracle" you're using. We are certainly the result of a series of extraordinary events but they can all be explained without supernatural influences.

How many types of miracles are there?

20 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

lol, I didn't ask what's a miracle, I asked how many (different) types there are, which BTW, Oxford (in your link) is defining a miracle as:

an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.

So if you believe we exist by miracle, then you believe a divine agency was at work.

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

lol, I didn't ask what's a miracle, I asked how many (different) types there are, which BTW, Oxford (in your link) is defining a miracle as:

an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.

So if you believe we exist by miracle, then you believe a divine agency was at work.

Are you telling me that you didn't see the two other definitions at that link? One was:

"A highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences."

No divine stuff in that definition.

I posted the link assuming you'd read the whole thing but so much for leading a horse to water I guess...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Are you telling me that you didn't see the two other definitions at that link? One was:

"A highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences."

No divine stuff in that definition.

I posted the link assuming you'd read the whole thing but so much for leading a horse to water I guess...

That's because you don't understand what you post.  The main definition for miracle is:

"an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency."

The two examples are hyperbole analogies where the word miracle can be used to exagerate a scenario.  The way you are resorting to the word "miracle" in your explanation of events relating to the "creation" of life on earth, isn't defined in a hyperbolic way but as an explanation of how things eventuated.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

The two examples are hyperbole analogies where the word miracle can be used to exagerate a scenario.

And that is why they are also definitions of the word "miracle" and can be used those ways.

4 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

The way you are resorting to the word "miracle" in your explanation of events relating to the "creation" of life on earth, isn't defined in a hyperbolic way but as an explanation of how things eventuated.

You have been the only one to use the word "miracle" in this thread so clearly you have no clue what I've actually said.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, astrobeing said:

I like to think of the universe as a supreme being. :P   supreme:  1. Greatest in power…. 2. Greatest in importance or degree…3. Ultimate; final.         As for supernatural.. if something/anything exists  it’s natural.  There is no such thing as supernatural?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, nice squabble. This thread's like every other on the subject. One side says yay, the other nay. Neither can disprove the other, so it degrades into personal conflicts.

So what's my point? We're too juvenile a species to make the determination whether life exists elsewhere or not. When discussing this topic, we should deal in possibilities instead of absolutes. Flat out denial of the possibilities is a sign of a weak mind.

For the record, I'm a believer in the possibilities of extraterrestrial life on earth, and elsewhere in the universe. I've seen more reason to believe, than disbelieve. History is the reason for my possibilities. You may not agree, but you can't prove whether I'm wrong, or right. 

So how about working together for a change? You never know what we could achieve co-operating instead of drawing lines in the sand.

My two cents.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Wow, nice squabble. This thread's like every other on the subject. One side says yay, the other nay. Neither can disprove the other, so it degrades into personal conflicts.

So what's my point? We're too juvenile a species to make the determination whether life exists elsewhere or not. When discussing this topic, we should deal in possibilities instead of absolutes. Flat out denial of the possibilities is a sign of a weak mind.

For the record, I'm a believer in the possibilities of extraterrestrial life on earth, and elsewhere in the universe. I've seen more reason to believe, than disbelieve. History is the reason for my possibilities. You may not agree, but you can't prove whether I'm wrong, or right.

What history classes did you take that covered extraterrestrial life on Earth?

• Haha 2