Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sea Peoples and the Phoenicians: A Critical Turning Point in History

Abramelin

43 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

You say the Egyptians had themselves circumcised by slaves...

No. I wrote that they had their genitals washed by them. Where do you see surgical instruments and foreskins, on that mural?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Did they also sail the seas?

:P

As whalers for Quaker and New Englanders. :yes:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Autistocrates said:

No. I wrote that they had their genitals washed by them. Where do you see surgical instruments and foreskins, on that mural?

I don't see foreskins, but that may be caused by the inaccuracy of the murals. Or they were already circumcised. Well, whatever that mural shows us, the Egyptians were circumcized.

Ok, the mural shows us they just 'had their hair done'.

8 hours ago, Piney said:

As whalers for Quaker and New Englanders. :yes:

But what about 1200 bce?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

But what about 1200 bce?

What about it?

cormac

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2022 at 6:02 PM, Autistocrates said:

Their hieroglyphic mural convinces me that they were uncuts who had slaves do their hygiene for them

Hah, Autisto: I understand now where I went wrong.

I said that the Egyptians had themselves circumcised for hygenic purposes.

And then you posted about slaves doing their hygene for them. That's why I thought you meant that slaves circumcised the Egyptians.

Christ, I can't remember the time I talked about dks for that long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

What about it?

cormac

You want to know too.

Great.

Edited to add:

This is what I meant to ask: did the Algonqians sail the seas around 1200 bce.

Edited by Abramelin

2 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

You want to know too.

Great.

Let's get a couple of things straight that might help.

1) The Philistines entered the Levant from either the Aegean or Mainland Greece circa 1200 BC. Within 200 years their genetics were essentially indistinguishable from indigenous Canaanites. They "may" have been a part of the Sea Peoples but there is nothing definitive to tie them to that group.

2) The early Palestinians were an indigenous offshoot of Canaanites.  

3)  The Phoenicians were also an indigenous offshoot of Canaanites who became prominent in the Levant sometime around 1200 BC.

4)  The Israelites were also an indigenous offshoot of Canaanites. 

I hope that helps. 

cormac

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

But what about 1200 bce?

A advo guy found a 5,000 year old dugout canoe in a cedar swamp in Cumberland County, New Jersey with a wave cutting prow similar to a USCG pursuit boat. It was definitely ocean going and probably used for whaling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

1) The Philistines entered the Levant from either the Aegean or Mainland Greece circa 1200 BC. Within 200 years their genetics were essentially indistinguishable from indigenous Canaanites.

You really think that is possible?

They weren't much befriended with the Canaanites, if we have to believe the Bible.

Edited by Abramelin

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

A advo guy found a 5,000 year old dugout canoe in a cedar swamp in Cumberland County, New Jersey with a wave cutting prow similar to a USCG pursuit boat. It was definitely ocean going and probably used for whaling.

So, in theory, the Algonqians could have crossed the Atlantic?

Even by accident?

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Absolutely. 

cormac

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

They weren't much befriended with the Canaanites, if we have to believe the Bible.

The Bible is NOT a history book, it's meant to promote a Judeo-Christian agenda and should be seen in that light. 

Edit to add:  If one is to take the Bible at face value then mankind is of Sumerian origin, yet science has shown that THAT is a lie. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

The Bible is NOT a history book, it's meant to promote a Judeo-Christian agenda and should be seen in that light. 

cormac

I know that. But even though it is not a history book, there must be a kernel of historical truth in it.

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

I know that. But even though it is not a history book, there must be a kernel of historical truth in it.

Sure, said peoples existed. Their origins and interactions, not so much. 

cormac

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Absolutely. 

cormac

So, in just 200 years the Philistines genetics were indistinguishable from the surrounding Canaanites.

Can you give another example of another time?

I once, jokingly, suggested that the Germanic Cananefates (Netherlands, Tacitus) were the descendents of the Phoenicians. And that by 'translating' their tribal name into "Canaan Nefates", or 'the settlement of Canaanites' (in Hebrew).

I was sure it was nonsense  but if it is true that within 200 years of mixing with the natives the genetics of that tribe would become indistinguishable from the surrounding tribes, my crazy idea may even be possible, if I have to believe you, @cormac mac airt

Edited by Abramelin

Just now, Abramelin said:

So, in just 200 years the Philistines genetics were indistinguishable from the surrounding Canaanites.

Can you give another example of another time?

All it takes to essentially disappear, especially since most ancient cultures were patriarchal, is for male lineages to either NOT produce male heirs OR to produce MANY MORE females. Within 200 years the original male lineages can and will fade into the background genetic "noise". Keep in mind that the Y Chromosome Haplogroups and the Mitochondrial Haplogroups DO NOT originate at the same time nor have their migrations met a 1:1 correlation. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/19/2022 at 1:23 PM, Abramelin said:

The 'Ekwesh' were always considered to be Greeks. But either that is wrong, or... the Greeks were indeed circumcised back then.

Not according to Herodotus:

“…the Colchians (near the Black Sea), the Egyptians, and the Ethiopians are the only races which from ancient times have practiced circumcision. The Phoenicians and the Syrians of Palestine themselves admit that they learned the practice from Egypt…and the Syrians…as well as their neighbors the Macronians (in Greece), say that they learned it only a short time ago from the Colchians (Black Sea inhabitants)….No other nations use circumcision, and all those who do are without doubt following the Egyptian  lead. As between the Egyptians and the Ethiopians, I cannot say which learned from the other, for the custom is evidentially a very ancient one; but I have no doubt that the other nations adopted it as the result of their intercourse with Egypt, and in this belief I am strongly supported by the fact that Phoenicians who have contact with Greece drop the Egyptian usage and allow their children to go uncircumcised.” Herodotus, Histories 2.104

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not according to Herodotus:

“…the Colchians (near the Black Sea), the Egyptians, and the Ethiopians are the only races which from ancient times have practiced circumcision. The Phoenicians and the Syrians of Palestine themselves admit that they learned the practice from Egypt…and the Syrians…as well as their neighbors the Macronians (in Greece), say that they learned it only a short time ago from the Colchians (Black Sea inhabitants)….No other nations use circumcision, and all those who do are without doubt following the Egyptian  lead. As between the Egyptians and the Ethiopians, I cannot say which learned from the other, for the custom is evidentially a very ancient one; but I have no doubt that the other nations adopted it as the result of their intercourse with Egypt, and in this belief I am strongly supported by the fact that Phoenicians who have contact with Greece drop the Egyptian usage and allow their children to go uncircumcised.” Herodotus, Histories 2.104

Maybe not, but:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/360724-sea-peoples-and-the-phoenicians-a-critical-turning-point-in-history/#comment-7458346

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

...that mural shows us, the Egyptians were circumcized...

I don't see any helmets

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

So, in theory, the Algonqians could have crossed the Atlantic?

Even by accident?

Doubtful, the crew would be long dead from dehydration and exposure but Eskimos have done it.

• Like 4

On 9/21/2022 at 3:02 AM, Autistocrates said:

Their hieroglyphic mural convinces me that they were uncuts who had slaves do their hygiene for them

Wewuzzkangz.jpg.553838b1e121ceda864507809600607a.jpg

My guess is that the guy on the left is being restrained because he is getting his balls waxed.  He's an Egyptian Brazillian. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Abramelin said:

This is what I meant to ask: did the Algonqians sail the seas around 1200 bce.

It is unlikely.  It is very interesting that one of the few languages that has any connection to the Basque language is Algonquian, but this is likely through the pidgin language of Souriquois, but this likely developed during the period after Columbus.  Is it possible that it is older?  Yes.  How much older?  IDK.  1200 bce?  IDK, but my "magic 8 ball" says it's unlikely.

On the other hand, something that isn't talked about nearly enough is that the Gauls had a proper fleet capable of sailing the Atlantic during the time of Julius Caesar.  Caesar was scared to put Roman galleys to sea to face them, but a period in his campaign came when there was no wind, and the galleys had the advantage and attacked, smashing the Gallic fleet, and the general Roman genocide of the Gauls meant that the ship builders were likely murdered or enslaved.  Interestingly, there are scattered sites in North America that tend to suggest some measure of Celtic contact.  It is likely they were not alone.  I suspect quite a few civilizations may have bumped into the Americas before Columbus, but because they were pre-Christian, it never happened.  The physical evidence is a bit sketchy, but far from non-existent.  I'd have to make a bit of a sliding plausibility scale for many of the claims being made, but the Norse are now a fact, so who knows?

As for Algonquians making the Atlantic crossing.  I can't see a birchbark canoe making the trip, so it is unlikely that the Algonquians would have made the crossing alone, but they may have sailed on someone else's ship.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

All it takes to essentially disappear, especially since most ancient cultures were patriarchal, is for male lineages to either NOT produce male heirs OR to produce MANY MORE females. Within 200 years the original male lineages can and will fade into the background genetic "noise". Keep in mind that the Y Chromosome Haplogroups and the Mitochondrial Haplogroups DO NOT originate at the same time nor have their migrations met a 1:1 correlation. 

cormac

Hi Cormac

I didn’t look before asking but was wondering if there may have been a high enough period of taking women as slaves to create the short term presence in genetics 

• Like 1