Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sea Peoples and the Phoenicians: A Critical Turning Point in History

Abramelin

8 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

The fall of the Bronze Age was caused by a rebellion of an anti Hittite uprising. 

I agree.  

There was a Greco-Roman mythical explanation for how the Phoenicians came to power ca 1200 BCE.

After the Trojan war, there was a mythical campaign against Cyprus by a mythical King Belus of Tyre (i.e. by some 1200 BCE forerunner of the Phoenicians), a campaign that was joined by the Greek Teucer.   It was said that King Belus eventually gave Cyprus to Teucer as a reward for the assistance.    

During the Trojan War, Teucer was mainly a great archer, who loosed his shafts from behind the giant shield of his half-brother Ajax the Great.......... 

After Ajax's suicide, Teucer guarded the body to make sure it was buried, insulting Menelaus and Agamemnon when they tried to stop the burial. Finally Odysseus persuaded Agamemnon to let the burial happen.[7] Because of his half-brother's suicide, Teucer stood trial before his father, where he was found guilty of negligence for not bringing his dead half-brother's body or his arms back with him. He was disowned by his father, wasn't allowed back on Salamis Island, and set out to find a new home. His departing words were introduced in the seventh ode of the first book of the Roman poet Horace's Odes, in which he exhorts his companions "nil desperandum", "do not despair", and announces "cras ingens iterabimus aequor", "tomorrow we shall set out upon the vast ocean".[8] This speech has been given a wider applicability in relation to the theme of voyages of discovery, also found in the Ulysses of Tennyson.

Teucer eventually joined King Belus of Tyre in his campaign against Cyprus, and when the island was seized, Belus handed it over to him in reward for his assistance. Teucer founded the city of Salamis on Cyprus, which he named after his home state.[9] He further married Eune, daughter of Cinyras, king of Cyprus, and had by her a daughter Asteria.[10]

The name Teucer is believed to be related to the name of the West Hittite God Tarku (East Hittite Teshub)—the Indo-European Storm God—a role which explains his relationship to Belus, who is associated with the Carthaginian god Baal Hammon.[11]

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Heh, I know you want to drag the OLB into this, but the OLB doesn't spend a single word about the mayhem occurring in most of Europe, the Middle East and the Med.

No, I don’t want to drag it into this thread, just seemed a good phrase to use…in relation to this….

As for the matter concerning those enemies: (it was) the people from your country (and) your own ships (who) did this! And (it was) the people from your country (who) committed these transgression(s) ... I am writing to inform you and protect you. Be aware”

7 hours ago, atalante said:

I agree.  

There was a Greco-Roman mythical explanation for how the Phoenicians came to power ca 1200 BCE.

After the Trojan war, there was a mythical campaign against Cyprus by a mythical King Belus of Tyre (i.e. by some 1200 BCE forerunner of the Phoenicians), a campaign that was joined by the Greek Teucer.   It was said that King Belus eventually gave Cyprus to Teucer as a reward for the assistance.    

During the Trojan War, Teucer was mainly a great archer, who loosed his shafts from behind the giant shield of his half-brother Ajax the Great.......... 

After Ajax's suicide, Teucer guarded the body to make sure it was buried, insulting Menelaus and Agamemnon when they tried to stop the burial. Finally Odysseus persuaded Agamemnon to let the burial happen.[7] Because of his half-brother's suicide, Teucer stood trial before his father, where he was found guilty of negligence for not bringing his dead half-brother's body or his arms back with him. He was disowned by his father, wasn't allowed back on Salamis Island, and set out to find a new home. His departing words were introduced in the seventh ode of the first book of the Roman poet Horace's Odes, in which he exhorts his companions "nil desperandum", "do not despair", and announces "cras ingens iterabimus aequor", "tomorrow we shall set out upon the vast ocean".[8] This speech has been given a wider applicability in relation to the theme of voyages of discovery, also found in the Ulysses of Tennyson.

Teucer eventually joined King Belus of Tyre in his campaign against Cyprus, and when the island was seized, Belus handed it over to him in reward for his assistance. Teucer founded the city of Salamis on Cyprus, which he named after his home state.[9] He further married Eune, daughter of Cinyras, king of Cyprus, and had by her a daughter Asteria.[10]

The name Teucer is believed to be related to the name of the West Hittite God Tarku (East Hittite Teshub)—the Indo-European Storm God—a role which explains his relationship to Belus, who is associated with the Carthaginian god Baal Hammon.[11]

I’m glad you agree atalante.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I believe the sea peoples were the Tartessos ,the Phoenicians, the Minoans,and the Mycenaeans   that wanted to rule and control  the Mediterranean seas.

http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/helmets1.htm

Interesting but the timeframes don’t match.

Tartessians nor Phoenicians were on the map at 1200BC. 
The Minoans had also passed and the Mycenaeans were at the end.

• Like 2

it was possibly a two pronged spear that hit Egypt. from both sides, independently. the Libyan contingent weren’t about the beef the Hittite alliance was, The Libyans were invading for different reasons.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

Interesting but the timeframes don’t match.

Tartessians nor Phoenicians were on the map at 1200BC. 
The Minoans had also passed and the Mycenaeans were at the end.

They were pirates of the Mediterranean seas :)

The Sea Peoples were a confederacy of various ethnicities who ravaged the Mediterranean between c. 1276-1178 BCE. Their name is a 19th-century CE designation coined by the French Egyptologist Gaston Maspero c. 1881 CE; what they called themselves – if anything – is unknown.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I believe the sea peoples were the Tartessos ,the Phoenicians, the Minoans,and the Mycenaeans   that wanted to rule and control  the Mediterranean seas.

I'll ask you again and again and again: what reason would the Tartessians have had to be part of the Sea Peoples and attack Egypt?

And also: why would the Phoenicians and Minoans, long time trading partners of Egypt, want to attack Egypt?

No, no links or nice pictures that don't explain sh!t, but in your own words.

PLEASE.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

I'll ask you again and again and again: what reason would the Tartessians have had to be part of the Sea Peoples and attack Egypt?

And also: why would the Phoenicians and Minoans, long time trading partners of Egypt, want to attack Egypt?

No, no links or nice pictures that don't explain sh!t, but in your own words.

PLEASE.

The horn helmets were of the Minoans,and the Mycenaeans  

Edited by docyabut2

The scholars don't know the names of the sea peoples that they are just guessing:( and I'm just guessing  those boats  with the double bird-heads are a connection  to the Tartessians boats   

220px-Astarte_-_Fragment_of_a_brooch_-_7th_cent._A.D._-_Seville_-_Museo_Arqueol%C3%B3gico_de_Sevilla.JPG

https://www.totallyawesomehistory.com/blog/tartessos-the-lost-civilization-youve-never-heard-of

https://www.totallyawesomehistory.com/blog/tartessos-the-lost-civilization-youve-never-heard-oftartessos: the lost civilization you've never heard of - TOTALLY AWESOME  HISTORY

Edited by docyabut2
  • Thanks 1

The southern coast of Spain and Portugal once comprised the homeland of a lost civilization known as Tartessos. It lay beyond the Pillars of Hercules and was widely renowned for its incredible wealth and the influence it brought. It also mysteriously vanished in the middle of the first millennium BC, 

What makes it even more jaw-dropping is something that Strabo (64BC-AD34) tells us about the Turdetani: the Iberian tribe that some claim the Tartessians morphed into after their power and influence waned; even going so far as to call them “doppelgangers”. He says this about them:

March | 2013 | Periplus CD the Tartessians boats of the 

The scholars don't know the names of the sea peoples that they are just guessing:( and I'm just guessing  those boats  with the double bird-heads are a connection  to the Tartessians boats   

220px-Astarte_-_Fragment_of_a_brooch_-_7th_cent._A.D._-_Seville_-_Museo_Arqueol%C3%B3gico_de_Sevilla.JPG

Tartessos - World History Encyclopedia

they are the boats from that TARTESSO sea that had the double bird-head war ship

Edited by docyabut2

Docy, I once started a thread about Tartessos, remember?

Just  trying to find  the boat with the double bird-heads,

0*8wodRuEIKIMLoQeX.jpg

Edited by docyabut2

23 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

it was possibly a two pronged spear that hit Egypt. from both sides, independently. the Libyan contingent weren’t about the beef the Hittite alliance was, The Libyans were invading for different reasons.

I think the Libyan invasions, which occurred in a time of severe drought, aimed to dominate the string of major oases that are located west of the Nile valley.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1