Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Panics whilst asleep

MissJatti

Idk whats happening to me lately, but its happened alot. Whilst I am asleep at night, I feel like I cannot move my arms, and it feels like they are clencthed to one another around my chest, I panic and try to wake myself up. (IDK consiously or in sleep), I struggle to breath, but telling myself to wake up, over and over.

I dont remember if I am dreaming, if so I dont seem to remember the dream. Or if it is really happening. When I do finally wake up, I am OK and as if nothing as happened.

The dread of something worse could have happen, lead me to this post, to see if anyone knows or expreienced this ever.

• Like 2

It used to be a big topic on these forums, but I guess not much anymore. It sounds like an episode of sleep paralysis.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis#:~:text=feelings of terror.-,What Is Sleep Paralysis%3F,up to a few minutes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I suffer from Multiple Scerlosis since 2014, and I'm 39 5''9 and weight 47kg. 

I have heard of Sleep Paralysis, but it seems what I experienced is the opposite.

Sleep Paralysis happens with you still are counscience, either going or coming out of sleep, and also I felt clenched arms while sleep paralysis relaxes muscles

19 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

I have heard of Sleep Paralysis, but it seems what I experienced is the opposite.

Sleep Paralysis happens with you still are counscience, either going or coming out of sleep, and also I felt clenched arms while sleep paralysis relaxes muscles

I don't know, but sleep paralysis is what brought me to this website so many years ago. It still happens every once and awhile. Typically at least twice a year or more. It usually happens within an hour or so of falling asleep. I'll have a horrible dream that aliens are trying to abduct me, or that someone is using some sort of mind ray, or both are combined somehow. 

I can rip myself out of these episodes with a lot of effort, but it's a fight. I usually go through like 5 or 6 phases where I think I have woken up, but I am walking around in my dream. Then I eventually get up for real and I have to wonder what has happened again for about an hour.

I think a lot about Revelation Chapter 3 which pretty much says, "Wake up, or else!"

To the Church in Sardis

3 “To the angel[a] of the church in Sardis write:

These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits[b] of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. 3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

4 Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. 5 The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels. 6 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissJatti said:

I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis since 2014, and I'm 39 5''9 and weight 47kg. 

At a guess I suspect that your sleep disorder is a consequence of the MS. My advice is to consult an expert about the issue - and if that expert does not know what he is talking about to consult other experts. (I know a little bit about MS, but I am far from the practizing expert that you need.)

Does this relate to your symptoms:

https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Multiple-Sclerosis-and-Panic-Disorder/show/1246873

• Thanks 1

I just did a search, and there are a lot of links that say MS is related to sleep disorders, and those relating to sleep paralysis. I would have to wonder though if it wasn't psychosomatic, or related to the treatment for MS.

https://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/narcolepsy

https://msfocus.org/Magazine/Magazine-Items/Posted/MS-and-Sleep-Disorders

After looking at the symptoms of MS it pretty much says I have it. I would never get treatment for this though. That based on that there is no known cause or cure. The treatments look terrible for you with bad side effects or narcotics.

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 3

I will mention my experience to my MS consultant appointment, see what she says.

Thanks guys for feedback, I let you know soon

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MissJatti said:

I will mention my experience to my MS consultant appointment, see what she says.

Thanks guys for feedback, I let you know soon

You're welcome. Looking forward to hearing back.

• Like 2

Ive had "sleep" issues all my life but the last year or so i have had serveral really horrible night terrors, i started getting panic attacks in my 20s so familiar with those and while i havent had just what you describe it is terrifying for those moments it takes to get booted awake then start over again trying to sleep, i cant rush it i just have to allow my brain to come online, in my case i have little to no support and actually have to take care not to upset tina.

Talk to your dr and when these demons attack just try as hard as it is to stay claim and wake up then try again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:58 AM, MissJatti said:

Idk whats happening to me lately, but its happened alot. Whilst I am asleep at night, I feel like I cannot move my arms, and it feels like they are clencthed to one another around my chest, I panic and try to wake myself up. (IDK consiously or in sleep), I struggle to breath, but telling myself to wake up, over and over.

I dont remember if I am dreaming, if so I dont seem to remember the dream. Or if it is really happening. When I do finally wake up, I am OK and as if nothing as happened.

The dread of something worse could have happen, lead me to this post, to see if anyone knows or expreienced this ever.

What you are experiencing, as others have said, is Sleep Paralysis.  There are a number of identified causes which include insomnia or disrupted sleep patterns, narcolepsy, PTSD, general Anxiety disorder, and Panic disorder.  Sleep Paralysis may be a genetic predisposition because it has been known to run in families.  It is also associated with hallucinations, as the body is often effectively dreaming while it is going on, even though the person experiencing it feels that they are awake.  In this regard it is somewhat like schizophrenia, in that, your dreams seem to impinge on reality.

A lot of what causes Sleep Paralysis seems to be related to the body's reaction to adrenaline.  During the night, the body "performs maintenance".  Healing is accelerated, and brain chemistry goes through a re-setting process, where the neuro receptors begin a major uptake of the chemicals they released during the day.  While this uptake goes on continuously it accelerates during sleep.  When the sleep cycle has been completed, the body needs to wake up, and to do this it releases adrenaline.  This is why dreams often end traumatically with people bouncing out of nightmare scenarios.  Adrenaline triggers the fight/flight response, and the mind/body which is hallucinating (dreaming) fills in the blanks of why it needs to be scared, hence nightmares.  If you have received enough adrenaline to wake up, but not enough to jolt you into control of your body, you get sleep paralysis.

Interestingly, Neurotheology research showed that there was a connection between Sleep Paralysis and old Red LED alarm clocks (typically with black plastic buttons and faux-wood finish).  They generate a Faraday field of electrical interference that is prone to interfere with any brain that is within 3' of them.

Sleep Paralysis is often the cause for Alien Abduction experiences.  It is likely that most, if not all such experiences are waking nightmares.

• Like 1

Sleep apnea. I have it and before it was treated I had terrible daytime anxiety, slept and was exhausted during the day, had panic attacks at night from adrenaline as I stopped breathing frequently. It can cause everything you are experiencing including sleep paralysis. 

https://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis/ms-sleep-apnea

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 1

Next time it happens roll your eyes up into your head hard. So it’s uncomfortable. That will usually break the paralysis. 

Got a letter through the post with my next appoinment date (28th December)

I havent had that experience since last Tuesday, hope it has finally gone and done with

• Like 3