Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Viruses and panspermia

Nnicolette

I just read that somebody at NASA proposes octopii are highly evolved because of panspermia and their inheritance of viruses from a meteor. Not the first time they were under this scrutiny. After researching what viruses actually are previously I had already come to the conclusion that evolution may be driven by viruses as they alter our DNA. I also believe panspermia is undoubtedly happening all across the universe, as we see from meteorites. It explains why locally different species have evolved similar DNA despite different lineages. The scientist at NASA has been disagreed with by some on the basis that viruses need to be matched enough to their host to enter. But if space is actually full of them and the milky way is raining them on us then maybe life elsewhere is in fact similar, because clearly the host doesn't have to be an exact specific match since multiple species can be infected.

The amount of viruses on the earth is quoted as 100 million for every star in the universe. Only 320,000 are able to infect mammals. Does anyone know if all of those have matching hosts here?

Does anybody actually think there is any other reason viruses thrive in space? If so please share your ideas why. 

Looking for serious insight not uninformed drama thank you!

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Viruses and panspermia

Virii are symbiotic with all life. 50% of the bacteria in the ocean are killed each day by bacteriophages (virii that kill bacteria) according to this article. The virii never completely kill all the bacteria though, it sounds like they are shepherding it. They also play a symbiotic role in evolution and partnerships in nature 

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200617-what-if-all-viruses-disappeared

Viruses are common. They depend on living cells to reproduce. Without  living cell viruses cannot continue to exist.

IIRC, around 8% of our DNA is suspected to be from viruses. Is tat affecting our evolution? Not sure.

Can virus thrive in space? No. They require a living cell to thrive and cells cannot thrive in space.

As far as panspermia is concerned, the issue is that life has to be ejected from our system or some other system into the cosmos.

• Like 1

I admit it was a bit wild and i didnt keep up has Panspermia been proven?

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

I admit it was a bit wild and i didnt keep up has Panspermia been proven?

Simple answer no.

The question is basically where id life start. Here? Mars? Elsewhere? No one knows

• Like 1