Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cryptids


jethrofloyd
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can think of a few:

  • The Loveland Frog
  • The Mongolian Death Worm
  • The Skunk Ape
  • Orang Pendek
  • Alma / Almasty
  • The Yowie
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Giant anaconda.

I was actually told about this giant snake, back in 1991, Peru, Iquitos.

I posted about it many years ago. With a bit of luck I can retrace that post on UM.

Edited to add:

Found it:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/179716-in-search-of-giant-snakes/#comment-3367043

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Giant anaconda.

I was actually told about this giant snake, back in 1991, Peru, Iquitos.

I posted about it many years ago. With a bit of luck I can retrace that post on UM.

Edited to add:

Found it:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/179716-in-search-of-giant-snakes/#comment-3367043

Would be so cool if they exist. Very unlikely given the oxygen levels but would be cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Would be so cool if they exist. Very unlikely given the oxygen levels but would be cool.

'Given the oxygen levels'?

Please explain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

'Given the oxygen levels'?

Please explain.

Well I know arachnids can only grow to a certain size due to their exoskeleton. They breathe through their skin.

Now I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the reason why animals aren't as large as they used to be is due to the oxygen levels in the air. 

I'm sure someone will correct me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Well I know arachnids can only grow to a certain size due to their exoskeleton. They breathe through their skin.

Now I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the reason why animals aren't as large as they used to be is due to the oxygen levels in the air. 

I'm sure someone will correct me.

I'll correct myself, alligators/crocodiles don't stop growing till they die due to a gene. They're usually bigger jn captivity cause they're looked after.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have problems with crypto lists that include known mythical creatures and sideshow gaffs as possible living things.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

I have problems with crypto lists that include known mythical creatures and sideshow gaffs as possible living things.

This 'thing' too. I can imagine a shock of Europeans seeing okapi for the first time. :huh:

Okapi – Wikipedia

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

This 'thing' too. I can imagine a shock of Europeans seeing okapi for the first time. :huh:

Okapi – Wikipedia

What a beautiful creature.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 8:07 AM, jethrofloyd said:

I'm just wondering if you know of any other cryptid(s) that you would add to this picture?

 

"Florida Man" as reported frequently in the news.

Edited by Trelane
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Well I know arachnids can only grow to a certain size due to their exoskeleton. They breathe through their skin.

Now I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the reason why animals aren't as large as they used to be is due to the oxygen levels in the air. 

I'm sure someone will correct me.

I answered you this morning, but somehow my answer, which I saw as being posted, disappeared for the gods know what reason.

Let my try again.

Arachnids and insects absorb oxygen using trachea, tubes running through their body. The oxygen in the air gets to their tissues by means of diffusion. Arachnids and insects do not 'breathe'.

Animals do. They pump air in and out of their bodies. Breathing.

Insects, therefore, cannot adapt to lower oxygen levels, except by getting smaller. Diffusion is a passive process.

Animals can adapt by breathing faster, developing larger/longer lungs. Or with a very slow metabolism.

-

A large snake kills and devours a large prey, and after that doesn't need food for a quarter of a year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, ThereWeAreThen said:

Well I know arachnids can only grow to a certain size due to their exoskeleton. They breathe through their skin.

Now I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the reason why animals aren't as large as they used to be is due to the oxygen levels in the air. 

I'm sure someone will correct me.

That is correct. Many creatures breathe through diverticulae that enter the body to provide greater surface area for oxygen absorption. I'm saying diverticulae because these are dead ended passages within the body of the  insect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_system_of_insects

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are so  many cryptids. The number is huge.

Even the poster in the OP shows only 1 form of the chupacabra, not all 3. What about the LochNess monster which used to be able to walk on land.

What about the mapinguari. It has a mouth on its belly. How amazing!

What about the kraken which was once a carnivorous floating island? (But like all cryptids seemed to  have morphed)

What about charbusco?

Basilisks

Mermaids

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even though most of them are fairy tales, if not the majority I've always loved cryptozoology.

Used to love MonsterQuest even though it was a load of rubbish. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Even though most of them are fairy tales, if not the majority I've always loved cryptozoology.

Used to love MonsterQuest even though it was a load of rubbish. :D

Awesome. I love listening to the podcast MonsterTalk.

https://www.monstertalk.org

I really enjoyed this episode. I really liked it because it was so full of fun stories.

https://www.monstertalk.org/253-yeti-stories-youve-never-heard-before-with-eric-mortensen/

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.