Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Republicans block bill requiring dark money groups to reveal donors

OverSword

Senate Republicans voted Thursday to block the consideration of a bill to promptly require organizations that spend money on elections to promptly disclose the identities of donors who give $10,000 or more during an election cycle.   

The body failed to invoke cloture on the measure, in a 49-49 vote. Every Republican present voted against the measure, while every Democrat voted for it.

Sens. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) and Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) were not present for the decision.

Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) brought the bill to the floor to highlight the reliance of Senate Republican candidates on huge cash inflows from GOP dark-money groups, such as the Senate Leadership Fund, a super PAC linked to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), according to Democratic senators familiar with Schumer’s thinking.   

The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), has been a top Democratic priority since the Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United in 2010 that enabled corporations and other outside special interest groups to spend unlimited amounts of money on federal elections.   

Schumer on Thursday morning said the court’s decision more than a decade ago “has disfigured our democracy almost beyond recognition.”  

Link

Campaign finance reform is high up on my list of priorities I feel our government needs to address.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

This is half dozen of one and six of another. I can see both sides of the issue.

Depending on the reason that every republican voted no I'm either for or against this particular move and won't know unless  I read the bill (which I won't)  A typical move by both sides is to take a bill that all of America would want passed but then load it full of unrelated pork and unreasonable language knowing it will be voted down, then point fingers and say "Look at how those other guys don't want to fix this issue"  I'm pretty fed up with our legislators. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Depending on the reason that every republican voted no I'm either for or against this particular move and won't know unless  I read the bill (which I won't)  A typical move by both sides is to take a bill that all of America would want passed but then load it full of unrelated pork and unreasonable language knowing it will be voted down, then point fingers and say "Look at how those other guys don't want to fix this issue"  I'm pretty fed up with our legislators. 

Yeah getting rid of Riders needs to happen even if it takes an Amendment to the Constitution. Chances are most Riders wouldn't pass on their own so Single Subject Legislation like some states have would cure a lot of evil. Supreme Court has already ruled against Line-Item Veto's so here we are.

I haven't read the bill either I was just going by the article.

• Like 2

Yet something else dark reps want to hide.

22 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yet something else dark reps want to hide.

Riiight.  Because Democrats would never use dodgy methods to fund their campaigns, eh?  DC is the Uniparty.  All of them make me sick.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, and-then said:

Riiight.  Because Democrats would never use dodgy methods to fund their campaigns, eh?  DC is the Uniparty.  All of them make me sick.

What a bout???? Lol.

Idk this thread is about the reps doing it, maybe post you up a thread of dems doing it.

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

Campaign finance reform is high up on my list of priorities I feel our government needs to address.

I agree with you completely this is a major problem across our Government but voting it down looks kind of suspicious, if there’s nothing to hide it should not matter. 

• Like 1

Good ol ' George warned about all this right from the start... 

George Washington on Political Parties   

~

• Like 2

10 hours ago, and-then said:

And yet not a single Democrat voted to block this.

What in his statement made you uncomfortable that you needed to go to "whataboutism" to help with your cognitive dissonance?