Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Convention of the States; progress map

OverSword

Our Resolution calls for an Article V Convention of States to make proposals that “limit the power and jurisdiction of the federal government, impose fiscal restraints, and place term limits on federal officials.” Once two-thirds (34) of the states pass our Resolution, the convention will be called.

Link

Amazing this is not all over the news.  That says a lot.  

We are very close to having the ability to reform our government and no federal branch will be able to prevent it.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

We are very close to having the ability to reform our government and no federal branch will be able to prevent it.

While I certainly support the concept, I don't have much hope in it.  Every one of those individual states' legislators will be subject to the same kind of targeted attacks that we've seen against Trump and his team.  DC is NEVER going to simply relinquish its power.  Not EVER.  They've demonstrated this principle with their treatment of the "outsider" who crashed their party.  Those who think COS has a chance, just pay attention to how it gets attacked by Congress and media.  BOTH PARTIES.  

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, and-then said:

While I certainly support the concept, I don't have much hope in it.  Every one of those individual states' legislators will be subject to the same kind of targeted attacks that we've seen against Trump and his team.  DC is NEVER going to simply relinquish its power.  Not EVER.  They've demonstrated this principle with their treatment of the "outsider" who crashed their party.  Those who think COS has a chance, just pay attention to how it gets attacked by Congress and media.  BOTH PARTIES.  

They can attack all they want, they have no say.  Each state will send one delegate who will get one vote and if 26 vote yes it passes.  It was for the very situation we find ourselves in now that the convention of states was created by our founders who more or less foresaw the situation we have now with a corrupt and out of control legislative branch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

They can attack all they want, they have no say.  Each state will send one delegate who will get one vote and if 26 vote yes it passes.  It was for the very situation we find ourselves in now that the convention of states was created by our founders who more or less foresaw the situation we have now with a corrupt and out of control legislative branch.

Where does the 26 yes vote come from above in your link it says 34 states to decide and 38 to pass legislation. Maybe I missed something?

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Where does the 26 yes vote come from above in your link it says 34 states to decide and 38 to pass legislation. Maybe I missed something?

Yeah I think you're right.

In an earlier, widely shared, essay I contended that state legislatures should require Congress to call a “convention of the states.” Article V of the Constitution empowers such a convention to propose constitutional amendments to correct federal dysfunction. Any proposals would have to be ratified by three-fourths of the states (38 of 50).

https://i2i.org/how-a-convention-of-states-really-works/

This is a very pro convention site and it seems to say the same. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah I think you're right.

https://i2i.org/how-a-convention-of-states-really-works/

This is a very pro convention site and it seems to say the same. 

Thanks, I just was confused where the 26 comes from I looked at a number of sites and could not find it anywhere. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Maybe I’m wrong. I thought it was 34 to start the convention and then a majority. I’ll have to re-read I guess

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm not following on what this would do?

amendments that will impose fiscal restraints on the federal government, limit its power and jurisdiction, and impose term limits on its officials and members of Congress.

• Like 2

They have no "official" say.  Remember the difficulty in actually getting a supermajority once an amendment is agreed upon.  The folks in DC have a near unlimited amount of money AND the ability to do nearly ANYTHING it takes to stop that supermajority once it's time to vote.   After watching the DC crowd and their corporate media go after Trump for nearly 6 years now, do you REALLY believe it's because he was that evil or criminal?  Nah... they will do what they need to do to pick off state legislators until the chance for a supermajority is killed.

17 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Thanks, I just was confused where the 26 comes from I looked at a number of sites and could not find it anywhere. 

It's also the reason it will have no real chance of success.  There will be too many individual state legislators who could be bought or blackmailed into changing their votes.  DC WILL PROTECT ITSELF.

• Like 2

Lots of kids/grandkids being take for ice cream, school visits from the FBI, shadowing, phone hacking, mystery “chatter” about sexual deviancy… we both know the playbook, anyone not likely to vote the Washington line will be exposed to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Article 5 does not limit the Amendments to anything specific, but prohibits 3 things, two referring to slavery before 1808. If the convention is called it does not have to be solely about balanced budgets or term limits. Although I strongly favor both of those things,  I am leery of a convention in this climate.

Changes to existing Amendments can be proposed repealing women's right to vote, blacks right to vote, plus prohibiting abortion, birth control, and LGBTQ, prohibit any sort of public assistance like Medicare and Social Security. Propose an Amendment that state legislatures elect the national  leader and citizens no longer vote.  Stack the deck well enough and you might get some of that too. no guarantees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Maybe I’m wrong. I thought it was 34 to start the convention and then a majority. I’ll have to re-read I guess

Thanks very much for your reply if you find something new please contact me and let me know this is very interesting.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, and-then said:

It's also the reason it will have no real chance of success.  There will be too many individual state legislators who could be bought or blackmailed into changing their votes.  DC WILL PROTECT ITSELF.

Yea I agree with you, neither party is going to allow anything that interferes with power.

• Like 1

In any event, it takes 38 states to pass any amendment proposed by the convention.  That women's rights amendment never passed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I am leery of a convention in this climate.

And I say a convention making the right amendments such as reasonable term limits in the legislature would go far to siphoning much partisan poison out of the system.  What if Nancy Pelosi or Mitch McConnell had only been allowed to "serve" 20 years?  What if congress, senate and their spouses were required to put all their financial portfolios in a blind trust while in office and forbidden trade?  What if every four years the most senior SCJ were required to retire and the president nominate a new justice?  What if spending limits were imposed on campaigns?  What if four parties were required to be represented on the stage at presidential debates so people could know they had more than two options?  So many rather small things could do a lot to fix our government.  It certainly will not survive on the course the greedy power mongers have set us on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And I say a convention making the right amendments such as reasonable term limits in the legislature would go far to siphoning much partisan poison out of the system.  What if Nancy Pelosi or Mitch McConnell had only been allowed to "serve" 20 years?  What if congress, senate and their spouses were required to put all their financial portfolios in a blind trust while in office and forbidden trade?  What if every four years the most senior SCJ were required to retire and the president nominate a new justice?  What if spending limits were imposed on campaigns?  What if four parties were required to be represented on the stage at presidential debates so people could know they had more than two options?  So many rather small things could do a lot to fix our government.  It certainly will not survive on the course the greedy power mongers have set us on.

I guess the question for you then is, do you trust the convention to come to those kinds of conclusions?

• Thanks 1

And I say a convention making the right amendments such as reasonable term limits in the legislature would go far to siphoning much partisan poison out of the system.

Oh, I'm not arguing the need for the COS.  I'm just being practical.  When the "outsider" won in 2016, we finally had a chance to see how DC protects its power.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Setton said:

I guess the question for you then is, do you trust the convention to come to those kinds of conclusions?

I can say that the purpose of this vehicle of change is to bypass those in government who's job it would normally be to implement such change but won't do so because it's not in their self interest and/or the people in power have corrupted the system to the point which such changes will not happen.  A few months ago I started a thread asking people what kind of changes we need in our government and the things I listed are what everyone pretty much agreed on and if you go and ask your average person on the street I'm sure they are largely in agreement that the changes I listed are desirable.  To what extent this may happen remains to be seen but it is potentially a very powerful tool for the people to fix our corrupted system.  

I think term limits would be great.

However number 2) and 3) could really mean almost anything. 

What kinds of amendments might a modern convention consider? Fifteen state legislatures have adopted applications based on a model proposed by the “Convention of States Project:” a convention limited to proposing (1) term limits for federal officials, (2) fiscal limits on the federal government, and (3) reductions in the size and scope of the federal government. Topics outside those three items would be outside the convention’s scope.

Twenty-eight states have passed applications for a convention limited to a balanced budget amendment. Several states have passed applications for congressional term limits or campaign finance reform.

Convention of states looks perfectly legal. But I think there are questions we don't understand.

Like do all the states applications have to be for the same purpose to have a convention? From the quote it seems like maybe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

All of those things are brilliant and I fully support every one of them.  Fool that I am, I believe they can all be accomplished by passing laws under our current system without additional powers being invoked.

I distrust the notion of a convention because I believe it is a tool that minorities can use to govern majorities.  On the face of it, North and South Dakota with about 2 million people can outvote Texas with  30 + million by 2 to 1.  I prefer democracy.

• Like 2

I seem to remember something that says that changes proposed by COS have to be ratified by a two-thirds majority of states before becoming law.  Am I missing something here?

The problem with these conventions is that once called, they don't have to restrict themselves to the purpose for which they were called.  They can make any changes they want.  That could well be the end of all freedoms in this country.  I'd rather not run the risk.

Doug

18 hours ago, and-then said:

the same kind of targeted attacks that we've seen against Trump and his team.

What?

16 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Yea I agree with you, neither party is going to allow anything that interferes with power.

That's why we have to get term limits and ranked choice primaries, to get the power back from the two parties.

• Like 3