Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supervolcano

Bogeyman

ya and that was just a regular eruption, imagine a super one..

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Conspiracy

• AnimangaBloodThorn

• Nightwatcher

• absinthegreen329

ya and that was just a regular eruption, imagine a super one..

578018[/snapback]

asuper volcanic eruption could easily kill off half the population of the northern hemisphere,and could kill 2 or 3 billion people world wide from its after effects!

when i say after effects i mean,killing the ground so we can't plant crops,killing live stock,poisoning the water,etc.... w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

ya good point there

haha nice avatar tongue.gif

Just fecking google for answers, Lazy swines yes.gif

Since there is no firm definition of what a super volcano is, it's hard to say how many of them are found on the earth. Usually people list Long Valley in eastern California and Taupo in New Zealand as super volcano sites along with Yellowststone. The last known explosion of what might be considered a super volcano was Toba in Indonesia. Toba erupted with a titanic explosion about 74,000 years ago. The force of the explosion was estimated to be 10,000 more powerful than the blast that destroyed Mount St. Helens, in Washington. Tremendous amounts of rock and ash were ejected into the air, blocking the sun for months. The temperature around the globe was thought to have plummeted as much as 21 degrees. Perhaps as much as 75% of plant life on the North American continent may died out.

This last happened at the Yellowstone volcano approximately 650,000 years ago. The caldera that it left is 53 miles long and 28 miles wide. In the area surrounding Yellowstone, 3000 square miles were subjected to a flow of pyroclastic material composed of 240 cubic miles of hot ash and pumice. Ash was also thrown into the atmosphere and blanketed much of North America. It can still be identified in core samples from as far away as the Gulf of Mexico.

Scientists have known about Yellowstone's explosive history for quite some time, but events in the fall of 2003 suddenly had people concerned about the possibility of another massive explosion. In August of 2003 a new high-resolution sonar map of the bottom of Yellowstone Lake showed a bulge, or "inflated plain" there that was 2000 feet long and 100 feet high. Was it being pushed up by hydrothermal or even volcanic forces? At about the same time there were some unusual changes at Norris Geyser basin some 20 miles north of the lake. Areas formally dry suddenly had hot springs. Other hot springs dried up. A long dormant geyser became active and forced the closing of some of the trails through the basin

As fascinating as the history of Yellowstone volcano is, however, most professional geologists who study the site are not concerned that the park is on the brink of a catastrophic eruption. The bulge on the bottom of the lake may have been there for thousands of years, but not noticed until the recent survey. Changes in the geyser activity is not unusual. New geysers have appeared throughout the history of the park, while others go dormant. Rangers often shut down parts of trails or alter them as needed.

Some decent Info from this site

Link

Edited by Scar

Anyone watch this last night on BBC ?

Man when that Yellowstone park decides to go ...we may as well pack up and start burying ourselves !

If the Volcano doesn't get us the Tsunami will.....and it could happen at any moment.Between this and the expected Rock Slide on Gran Canaria which will cause 4-500 foot high Tsunami's i think we're well buggered.

The 2nd part is on tonight ...if this hasn'e aired in the US yet dont worry it will soon.Watch out for it ......If you dare  crying.gif  crying.gif

BTW......For those who dont know....The crater is a hunderd miles wide,All of Yellowstone park sits inside it....So American Friends...probably best avoided for your Holidays  thumbsup.gif

524700[/snapback]

I saw it. but on the discovery channel. I was great. thumbsup.gif

sucks if it would blow this year xD

lol yeah canada would be destroyed. but not where I live tongue.gif

yes it would suck for it to blow this year....i just bought my slef a new jeep and well it would be kinda a waste...since we all would need to stock up on food that keeps long to survive the after affects of the thing..but if we do find out its gona blow soon then i say every one take off work..adn relax and enjoy the outside while we still can....cuz we cant beath in that ash crap

lol yeah canada would be destroyed. but not where I live tongue.gif

581609[/snapback]

obviously you dont know much lol

yellowstone park is in USA, not Canada, canada would be affected yes but not blown to pieces by the volcano or dumped be ash tongue.gif

Okay, extremely stupid question here, but, just for the record, where exactly is Yellowstone? blush.gif

I've asked a few people, and each gave me a different answer.

Yellowstone of course is all in a giant volcano which is in Wyoming, i think some bits of the park go into Montana and Idaho also but most of it lies in Wyoming.

Lol, I had figured out that it was a giant volcano already. tongue.gif Anyway, thanks for the info.

Lol, I had figured out that it was a giant volcano already. tongue.gif Anyway, thanks for the info.

583195[/snapback]

lol ya i donno why i said that hmm.gif

anyhoo your welcome! thumbsup.gif

Here is info on a different supervolcano that might erupt!

Click here for the link!

It is about Toba, the world's largest supervolcano that resides in Indonesia. Can you imagine two of them erupting around the same time?

I found a little bit more information on supervolcanoes. They say that there are about 40 supervolcanos in the world, but most are extinct. Thankfully. This website tells you a little bit more about Yellowstone and how supervolcanos work.

About 40 supervolcanoes are dotted across the globe. There are two in Britain – one in Glencoe, Scotland, the other in Scafell in the Lake District. However, most supervolcanoes, including those in Britain, burned out long ago.

There is a quote on it for you. I'm still trying to find a list of all the supervolcanoes and names, but google hasn't turned up much. I might have to find another search.

This website compares normal volcanoes to supervolcanoes. It's a good read. It also gives a little link that tells you a tiny bit about Toba.

its a very good possibility that 2 could erupt at same time, if toba is showing signs of eruption and so is yellowstone im pretty sure both can or close to the same time erupt.

A supervolcanic eruption occurs somewhere in the world approximately every 50,000 years or so.

info Found HERE

and the last super was 74k years ago so..and yellow stone is to erupt every 600k its now 640k... so i'd be willng say that yellow stone will be the next....and fairly soon...

even if the goverment knew something i dought they would realease it as it would cause a golble panic

Edited by lil cartman

i dont get that part tho, why does the government keep secrets like this away from us... would they tell us so we can evac the whole area and get ready? instead of telling it to us at the last minute when the volcano blows its top

i dont get that part tho, why does the government keep secrets like this away from us... would they tell us so we can evac the whole area and get ready? instead of telling it to us at the last minute when the volcano blows its top

584783[/snapback]

because they think it's their job to stop mass panic and civility.since we all pay into our government,should'nt our government's first priority be to look after all of us?yes,but that may mean letting a few die to save the many.

if there was a mass panic it wouldnt help any...like in the movie every one was fleing the area and it was like a parking lot on highways so it every one left at one time it wouldnt help any ways and when every one leaves the goverment would have to do something about putting all theses people..it'd cost too much or just wouldnt be possible..so the best & easiest thing to do is not to say anything and/or denying it

thats scary tho... cause what iff thier keep secrets of it, what if it is gonna blow soon and the government aint saying anything?

well then it would suck to live on the west coast and i guess the Goverment woulnd have to worryt about the panic near yellowstone then ... Frankly theres not much any one can do about it if this thing blows soon.. can very well move 3/4 of the U.S population some where else. if it blows some people are going to die...no way around it

ya, and im pretty sure canada and mexico would soon close the borders do to the large amount of people, there would be no place to really put them.

ya, and im pretty sure canada and mexico would soon close the borders do to the large amount of people, there would be no place to really put them.

593143[/snapback]

Yeah, it'll be just like in Day After Tomorrow. They will eventually close the borders. I remember that people were wading through a small river to get ilegally into Mexico in that movie...at least I think it was Day After Tomorrow. Anyway, many people will die. hmm.gif Of course, those people aren't just restricted to America...

Edited by AnimangaBloodThorn

593143[/snapback]

Yeah, it'll be just like in Day After Tomorrow. They will eventually close the borders. I remember that people were wading through a small river to get ilegally into Mexico in that movie...at least I think it was Day After Tomorrow. Anyway, many people will die. hmm.gif Of course, those people aren't just restricted to America...

593509[/snapback]

ya it was 'The Day After Tomorow' i remember that part, one thing USA will have to face is that Canada's and Mexico's borders will close if they swamp us.