Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woodrow Derenberger talks about his 1966 UFO sighting & encounter with a humanoid named Indrid Cold

OverSword

One of the comments from the YouTube page:

He lived two miles from us , went to school with his kids. Our family watched this interview on our little bw tv... my dad said "his life is over" and I said "is he going to die? And he said " no....but he's going to wish he was!" Woodrow's family went through pure hell, for years! I really don't know what to think.... ? I will say this , the man who you hear interviewing him was Glen Wilson, and real professional , and a gentleman! I would bump into Glen over the years , and he would never down play the event.... it was a big deal to him, and it sure was!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to work for someone called Ingrid Coad. :unsure2:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Malawi said:

Wasnt Indrid Cold also the "mystery humanoid" associated in the Mothman legends?

Derenberger didn't say "Indrid".

I think OverSword put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I used to work for someone called Ingrid Coad. :unsure2:

Was she an alien or possibly a time traveler? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, acute said:

Derenberger didn't say "Indrid".

I think OverSword put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

Cq9jWG-WYAITjlA.jpg

This is an awesome story. He seems believable to me. I think at the least he believes this happened. From what I recall there were other witnesses who saw the craft that night. Cars that had past by. 

The YouTube comment OS provided makes sense. Of course he was gonna have a hard time after that. It’s just common sense. I think he knew that as well, but still decided to tell his story. That gives it some credibility to me as well. It was a crazy time in that little area. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 9/23/2022 at 4:26 PM, Malawi said:

I'm sorry. Wasnt Indrid Cold also the "mystery humanoid" associated in the Mothman legends? 

No, Derenberger invented Idrid cold, ( which i used as a CB handle for decades )

Keel who was trying to ride the mothman BS only spoke of men in black and an odd grinning man in shiny jumpsuit, through the years certain people embellished and mixed it all up so anyone who didnt do their homework and parrots clickbait type stuff will keep that BS of BS going.

If you read up on on it even Derenberger family thought he made it up for attention etc.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4367

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, the13bats said:

No, Derenberger invented Idrid cold, ( which i used as a CB handle for decades )

Keel who was trying to ride the mothman BS only spoke of men in black and an odd grinning man in shiny jumpsuit, through the years certain people embellished and mixed it all up so anyone who didnt do their homework and parrots clickbait type stuff will keep that BS of BS going.

If you read up on on it even Derenberger family thought he made it up for attention etc.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4367

That isn’t what your source said. It said he became obsessed with it, so his wife left him. And even so, so what? Just because there are people who weren’t there that didn’t believe him, family or not, doesn’t make it untrue. 

Also Keel and Derenbergers stories are very different. They weren’t describing the same person. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m unfamiliar with the Mothman story details. It’s popular enough that maybe I’ll read up on it. It’s got to be interesting at the very least. 

• Like 1

Do you all notice that at first there were contactees that had relatively positive experiences with who many described as our space brothers and that morphed into abductees with terrifying experiences? Does that say anything about our collective consciousness in a  more innocent time as compared to more recent times? Is it a reflection of our subconscious?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

That isn’t what your source said. It said he became obsessed with it, so his wife left him. And even so, so what? Just because there are people who weren’t there that didn’t believe him, family or not, doesn’t make it untrue. 

Also Keel and Derenbergers stories are very different. They weren’t describing the same person. 

Nice but failed try.

I said Derenberger made up indrid cold and keels made up man was "vauge smiling guy,  that is fact.

I never said the link i posted was the link where it said Derenbergers family didnt believe him but your helped prove that in that if a person gets so looney detached from reality that their partner dumps them then sure thats another way of saying his family didnt believe his delusions. If you want to see the article i read do your own work lazy guy.

The fact Derenberger had zero supportive evidence and got all "Howard Hughes" points to made up BS not truth or more likely mental illness possible schizophrenia.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I’m unfamiliar with the Mothman story details. It’s popular enough that maybe I’ll read up on it. It’s got to be interesting at the very least. 

I read keels mothman book in the early 80s then again mid 90s, i have an early hardback in my collection, its an enjoyable read which imnsho read like delusional fiction but keel presents it as vauge unsupported facts, hes not good at naming sources so it does come off like a lot of tales just strung together,

he seems rather eccentric for example he hears things over his phone clicks etc and says he finds after pulling the mouth piece apart some thing that looks like a "cigarette load" from a joke shop, i wondered how many people knew what that even looked like and why he thought it wasnt just a boring piece of trash that gone into the phone.

All in all if you read like i do you can get thru it in a night and might as i did wonder why it justfied having mothman in its title.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

Nice but failed try.

I wasn’t trying to win anything. Just starting a conversation. I know, I should know better by now. 

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

I said Derenberger made up indrid cold and keels made up man was "vauge smiling guy,  that is fact.

I never said the link i posted was the link where it said Derenbergers family didnt believe him but your helped prove that in that if a person gets so looney detached from reality that their partner dumps them then sure thats another way of saying his family didnt believe his delusions. If you want to see the article i read do your own work lazy guy.

The fact Derenberger had zero supportive evidence and got all "Howard Hughes" points to made up BS not truth or more likely mental illness possible schizophrenia.

It absolutely does not point to made up BS. No one is going to ruin their lives over a made up story. It does point, to me, to one of two things. Like you said, one being mental illness. The other is experiencing a traumatic event. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I wasn’t trying to win anything. Just starting a conversation. I know, I should know better by now. 

It absolutely does not point to made up BS. No one is going to ruin their lives over a made up story. It does point, to me, to one of two things. Like you said, one being mental illness. The other is experiencing a traumatic event. 

If you were not so prone to quick knicker knots my posts wouldnt upset you as they do.

I guess we are not so far apart with your second statement, i do disagree with you that people wont ruin their lives with made up BS lots of people do it i think what you are missing is they do not think they will get busted on their BS just look at the hot water trump has gotten himself into.

In this case i believe keel was a very eccentric writer at times he did post his opinions as facts but i didnt find him all pompous ego driven albeit perhaps slightly delusinal, idk.

Derenberger i think was mentally ill if one gets into his case it unfolds pretty well getting cross with me over petty stuff like his wife not being there for him during his time of need doesnt change anything, i realize he might have treated the wife in a way that she had to move on but if he didnt then i find that sad she couldnt be there for him, i imagine her leaving further exasperated his psychosis.

Could it have started with some thing traumatic? Sure but i do not believe there were any mysterious aliens named cold involved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the13bats said:

If you were not so prone to quick knicker knots my posts wouldnt upset you as they do.

I guess we are not so far apart with your second statement, i do disagree with you that people wont ruin their lives with made up BS lots of people do it i think what you are missing is they do not think they will get busted on their BS just look at the hot water trump has gotten himself into.

In this case i believe keel was a very eccentric writer at times he did post his opinions as facts but i didnt find him all pompous ego driven albeit perhaps slightly delusinal, idk.

Derenberger i think was mentally ill if one gets into his case it unfolds pretty well getting cross with me over petty stuff like his wife not being there for him during his time of need doesnt change anything, i realize he might have treated the wife in a way that she had to move on but if he didnt then i find that sad she couldnt be there for him, i imagine her leaving further exasperated his psychosis.

Could it have started with some thing traumatic? Sure but i do not believe there were any mysterious aliens named cold involved.

I’m not cross, sir top em hat. We’re cool. 

I don’t believe either of them. Belief is a strong word. One has to recognize the possibility things weren’t as they seemed, from a whole range of possible factors. 

However, I don’t dismiss them either. I recognize this world can be a strange place at times. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I’m not cross, sir top em hat. We’re cool. 

I don’t believe either of them. Belief is a strong word. One has to recognize the possibility things weren’t as they seemed, from a whole range of possible factors. 

However, I don’t dismiss them either. I recognize this world can be a strange place at times. 

Yes it is and so is the mind.

I honestly feel badly for Derenberger some people have no control over mental issues others have events cause it or make it worse no one size fits all.

I still am sad his wife had to give up on him i dont know his situation as far as his relationship went, its hard when a person you care about and love isnt there for you worse when they make your bad times harder and place all blame on you, i can imagine gaslighting has deeply messed up a lot of people.

Who knows perhaps he was a monster to his wife i have no clue its really a sad case.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yes it is and so is the mind.

I honestly feel badly for Derenberger some people have no control over mental issues others have events cause it or make it worse no one size fits all.

I still am sad his wife had to give up on him i dont know his situation as far as his relationship went, its hard when a person you care about and love isnt there for you worse when they make your bad times harder and place all blame on you, i can imagine gaslighting has deeply messed up a lot of people.

Who knows perhaps he was a monster to his wife i have no clue its really a sad case.

True. No matter the cause, this man’s life was ruined. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

It absolutely does not point to made up BS. No one is going to ruin their lives over a made up story. It does point, to me, to one of two things. Like you said, one being mental illness. The other is experiencing an alleged traumatic event. 

Fixed that for you.:tu:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

Fixed that for you.:tu:

But it doesn’t work in context. Just makes it seem like you don’t understand what I was saying. 

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

But it doesn’t work in context. Just makes it seem like you don’t understand what I was saying. 

No, no I do understand what you're saying, and it works perfectly fine for me.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:52 PM, OverSword said:

Do you all notice that at first there were contactees that had relatively positive experiences with who many described as our space brothers and that morphed into abductees with terrifying experiences? Does that say anything about our collective consciousness in a  more innocent time as compared to more recent times? Is it a reflection of our subconscious?

Yes, back when the contactee fad started in the early 60s, frauds like George Adamski and Billy Meier described their aliens as being beautiful and wise humans who had brilliant advice for us primitive Earthlings, like eliminating all nuclear weapons and stop fighting wars. When television shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone showed aliens that looked scary and threatening, then they started abducting us.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Trelane said:

No, no I do understand what you're saying, and it works perfectly fine for me.

But have I not been more than clear that I too am saying it allegedly happened?

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

But have I not been more than clear that I too am saying it allegedly happened?

Actually, you haven't used it in any of your posts. Anyway, no big deal. Moving on.