Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman heard 'fairy' laughter while lost in the woods in Ireland

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Woman heard 'fairy' laughter while lost in the woods in Ireland

Great story, I wonder what happened to the elves, and why didnt they help this poor woman.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

What started out as a relaxing woodland stroll soon turned into a terrifying ordeal for one woman from Meath, Ireland.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/360845/woman-heard-fairy-laughter-while-lost-in-the-woods-in-ireland

Are we certain it isn't from Meth, Ireland.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, MissJatti said:

Great story, I wonder what happened to the elves, and why didnt they help this poor woman.

As far as I know elves are ticksters, they don't help. Anyway that's an interesting article. I can imagine the voice she (presumably) heard, and that "not of this world" paralyzing feeling which strikes through the mind like a bolt of lightning :blink:

• Haha 1

Interesting story but I'm stuck on this line: "I have a very professional job" as opposed to those slightly professional jobs? Anyway, leprechauns are real, so why not fairies? :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can recall hearing these kinds of stories as a kid in south Alabama in the 60s.  That just shows how far such traditions can be handed down.  My great-great grandfather was from Ireland.  He emigrated to the Carolinas and eventually the family moved farther south.  

• Like 3

I bet this is what the OP heard

Edited by MissJatti
  • Confused 3

On 9/24/2022 at 9:48 PM, MissJatti said:

Well, who says they didn't?  Then again, elves are mischievous, and perhaps they were enjoying spooking a mortal and getting them lost?

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, MissJatti said:

Elves and Pixies are mean.  :angry:

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, Portre said:

Interesting story but I'm stuck on this line: "I have a very professional job" as opposed to those slightly professional jobs? Anyway, leprechauns are real, so why not fairies? :rolleyes:

"I have a very professional job. I'm not crazy. I'm quite logical but then the call came from the other side of me. I knew something wasn't right."

Sometimes the rather credulous people who know they are empty handed and sound looney feel a need to give a pesudo kind of credibility to their tales it might be by proxy you know the 2nd party witness was a dr or cop or like in this case since they have a professinal job their story is beyond reproach.

Jobs are jobs a career is likely always "professinal" a bar back mops the dance floor i hardly call him a mopping professinal.

"Im not crazy" that is as oxymoronic as it gets the pure irony almost zero mentally ill folks who are very sincere and adamantly positive that things they believe they really heard or saw are not delusions but real admit they do indeed have mental issues.

This sane professinal got lost in the woods and thinks she was laughed at, it rests on itself.

13 minutes ago, kingsway said:

why do skeptics jump to conclusions lol hey the 13bats maybe your the 1 thats ill

Why do empty handed belivers resort to insult and ad hominem when they get cross about not being able to back up their claims?

I do not recall any other post from you so i am flattered but unlike many i have zero stigma admitting i am ill and do suffer from mental illness of nervous, panic, ptsd type BS.

I do understand for some the idea is so horrible they would rather blame the paranormal for stuff that is all in their minds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingsway said:

why do skeptics jump to conclusions lol hey the 13bats maybe your the 1 thats ill

Do you honestly believe this woman heard fairy speech and laughter? 

• Like 3

I wonder is there a TV news article somewhere, maybe we get a chance to see her tell the story in person?

Anyway, its sad how this forum has become a place where people who express belief in something weird are put to their place by people who better argument why their disbelief in something is valid

If this lady came here with pictures of her and a fairy holding hands, this forum would explode trying to prove the pics are fake.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CloudSix said:

If this lady came here with pictures of her and a fairy holding hands, this forum would explode trying to prove the pics are fake.

This is exactly what a two young girls Elsie Wright and Frances Griffiths tried, a century ago, to show as a truth'. But, at the end of the day, everything turnrd out to be just  a simple hoax.

Wistful Imaginings: Reframing the Case of the Cottingley Fairies - The  Cabinet of Curiosity

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, the13bats said:

Sometimes the rather credulous people who know they are empty-handed and sound looney feel a need to give a pseudo kind of credibility to their tales it might be by proxy you know the 2nd party witness was a dr or cop or like in this case since they have a professional job their story is beyond reproach.

Jobs are jobs a career is likely always "professional" a bar back mops the dance floor I hardly call him a mopping professinal.

"I'm not crazy" is as oxymoronic as it gets the pure irony almost zero mentally ill folks who are very sincere and adamantly positive that things they believe they really heard or saw are not delusions but really admit they do indeed have mental issues.

This sane professional got lost in the woods and thinks she was laughed at, it rests on itself.

I think the implication is that 'professionals' have more to lose by stating something seemingly crazy than someone who is not in a professional role, and as such, the statement is strengthened by the degree of damage it can do to their 'career'.  My perspective is that there's a nugget of truth in that association but it still comes across as elitist and condescending.

I am certain 'she' thinks she heard laughter, unsure where the embellishments of it being a fairy come from, but perhaps the circumstances could be explained in a more prosaic way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vox said:

I think the implication is that 'professionals' have more to lose by stating something seemingly crazy than someone who is not in a professional role, and as such, the statement is strengthened by the degree of damage it can do to their 'career'.  My perspective is that there's a nugget of truth in that association but it still comes across as elitist and condescending.

I am certain 'she' thinks she heard laughter, unsure where the embellishments of it being a fairy come from, but perhaps the circumstances could be explained in a more prosaic way.

Maybe she really heard a high pitched laughter :

https://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/Listen-to-Nature/022M-LISTNAT00182-0001V0

Green Woodpeckers are present in Ireland, and it clearly fit with the sighting.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Vox said:

Sounds good and you are likely on it just to me it is rather ego driven as most times those who feel they have to thump their chests about there credentials to in some pseudo way add validity to their tales  actually have little to no credentials.

I dont think every story comes out of no where i believe many times there is a stimulus in this case she heard fairies the next person might have heard bigfoot or wendigo and others might have heard banjo music.

15 hours ago, CloudSix said:

I wonder is there a TV news article somewhere, maybe we get a chance to see her tell the story in person?

Anyway, its sad how this forum has become a place where people who express belief in something weird are put to their place by people who better argument why their disbelief in something is valid

I am not in that camp but ( empty handed ) dear true believers tend to toss me in there.

Not since Coddingley and those sweet little girls fooled countless has anyone presented a selfie of themselves with a fairy, ghost, bigfoot, etc. Or have they?

I havent a clue what you mean by "explode" but of course if a person did pop in with a selfie of themselves with a make believe creature people on this open discussion forum will make replies and ask questions not everyone is credulous enough to take things at face value like stories with zero supportive evidence.

In my case its really not about belief belief is for true believers if a people comes and shares their story thats super if they want people to believe it with nothing to support it thats fine too unless they want me to believe a story at face value, it wont happen.

I ask for their evidence they say they have none no proof so i move on no argument from me because they have nothing to argue with just a story it starts and ends with the teller.

They should be comfortable enough in their belief not to care what i think but thats not the case so im the bad guy.

I read the story and this sounds like someone lost and hearing a flock of migrating birds, or kids playing the woods.

The European goldfinch or a gold crest might trick someone into thinking there is high pitched laughter in the woods.

https://birdwatchireland.ie/our-work/surveys-research/research-surveys/countryside-bird-survey/cbs-bird-songs-and-calls/

And this is just not of interest.

"I have a very professional job. I'm not crazy. I'm quite logical but then the call came from the other side of me. I knew something wasn't right."

It really has no bearing on someone that admits they were confused - actually very confused.

• Like 4