Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vibrating clothes hanger

jowasmus

I used my phone to record a video on June 20, 2022 at 11:48pm. There's no point in showing the video. It's just a dark living room with the sound of the clock ticking. I was up late goofing off with a 3D program while listening to scary stories on YouTube. That's never a good way to end a night walking through a dark house with only night lights on in kids' bedrooms and the bathrooms.

I turned off the computer, the ceiling fan, and was brushing my teeth. I was down the hall from the living room/kitchen area. I could hear something that sounded like clicking. Our refrigerator makes sounds sometimes. It's old and I plan to use it for as long as possible. I just thought it was the malfunctioning ice maker doing something new. I finished brushing my teeth, opened our kids' doors for the night, and was walking down the hall to the opposite side of our house to mine and my wife's bedroom. She was already asleep. As I walked down the hall, the clicking got louder. My wife wears hearing aides due to an accident and not wearing them at night, she's not disturbed by weird sounds or the acorns falling on our metal roof. LOL

Our living room and kitchen are only separated by the carpet stopping and the linoleum starting. I was pretty much one foot in both. The sound was pretty loud. Had we been watching TV, I would have stopped to see where it was coming from. I followed it to an old wood toybox with a cloth top. We bought it new when our oldest was a toddler. Nothing fancy or haunted. We keep some toys in it and I thought "maybe some old batteries are causing the issue." I looked around for something beside or behind it, but couldn't find anything clicking. I pulled the cloth cover back and looked inside. It was only old board games. Sorry, Monopoly, Clue, stuff like that. The only thing with batteries was the Operation game, but I'd already taken the batteries out of it for something else when I put it in there. I didn't see anything.

So, I had my cell phone in my pocket and I pulled it out figuring to at least catch the sound of whatever it was. As soon as I started recording, the sound stopped. I thought it was a coincidence and kept recording. Nothing. No sound, but the clock on the wall behind me and a car pulling into my neighbors' house across the road. I stopped recording. As soon as I did, the sound started back. I started recording again and it stopped. I couldn't catch any sound or movement, but the clock and myself. I just stopped recording and when the sound stated back I just started looking everywhere to see what it was.

I found it. My wife irons in the living room while watching TV. She throws the hangers on top of the toybox and picks them up as she needs one. A small blue "baby" hanger that she uses had fallen into the toybox. It was small enough to slip through between the side of the wood and the cloth cover. It was just vibrating. I checked to see if the air was blowing through the central unit vents in the floor. Nothing. The unit was turned on, but it had hit the desired temperature and had shut off. I felt of the floor to just see if I felt anything. Nothing. Nothing else was moving besides that hanger just vibrating. It was weird. I walked the entire house. The place was just quiet. Nothing, but that hanger and I could hear it everywhere I went.

I ended up just going back into the living room, trying to video again, and it stopped as soon as I started. I was pretty ill about it. I can't sleep good as it is and every sound bothers me. I would be sleeping on the opposite side of the wall where the sound was coming from. I did what any sane normal person would do. I grabbed that hanger, went to the back door, and frisbeed that sucker as far into the back yard as possible.

The next morning I had decided to bring it back in. I wanted to see if it would repeat. When I looked in the backyard, it was straight up gone. That freaked me out. I asked my wife about it and she said that she saw it in the backyard when she was taking the trash can to the road for garbage pickup. She didn't know where it came from and threw it in. She said it was on top if I wanted it, but the garbage had already run. It was gone.

Nothing has happened since then.

Edited by jowasmus
mispelling
  • Haha 2

Sometimes things vibrate for no obvious reason. Could have been due to many things, undeground pipes, traffic on a road a ways off, micro tremors in the earth, etc. Highly doubt it was "ghosts" doing nothing but making a lone clothes hanger vibrate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was envisioning a new gadget that would replace ironing... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, moonman said:

Sometimes things vibrate for no obvious reason. Could have been due to many things, undeground pipes, traffic on a road a ways off, micro tremors in the earth, etc. Highly doubt it was "ghosts" doing nothing but making a lone clothes hanger vibrate.

I'm not much of a believer, but no clue why it was just the hanger. I was hoping somebody had a plausible explanation. If it had been more than the hanger, I wouldn't have thought much of it. We have had an earthquake or 2 where I live, but it stopping when I tried to record it & starting back when I stopped confused the crap out of me. I'm sure it was coincidence, But I got n idea.

Thanks for the comment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, and-then said:

My wife & daughter would LOVE that. Alas, not yet.

Thanks for the comment.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jowasmus said:

I was up late goofing off with a 3D program while listening to scary stories on YouTube.

Maybe that 3D program and/or those scary stories will give you the answer.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jowasmus said:

A small blue "baby" hanger that she uses had fallen into the toybox. It was small enough to slip through between the side of the wood and the cloth cover. It was just vibrating.

Was it a metal hanger?

Was there a magnet in the toybox?

@jowasmus maybe try Rain Rain app for sleep sounds.

The free version is quite good.

It let’s you blend three different soundscapes together and vary the volume or dampen each one.

I’m a light sleeper and have had some anxious stuff going on, but the app helps.

• Like 1

Wierd thing about it is, when you record the clicking sound, it dissappears, only to reappear when you stop recording

23 hours ago, and-then said:

Or keep lonely housewives busy.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Or and even more vivid imagination.

• Like 1

Hangers on a rod can be extremely sensitive to vibrations, air currents... even walking on the floor.

It's normal.

• Like 1

It wasn't the hanger it was where it was. A wood toy box is a box, which via the floor, even if you don't feel it can transfer vibration like a drum. The hanger acted like a tuning fork and there you go. Your old fridge, or some appliance was making the vibrations which can travel via the floor and to the toybox. 

I've got a small six inch fan clipped to my table here that at times gets slightly off balance. It causes vibration that the items on my table sometimes "catch". My water bottle, or a plastic container will just start dancing across the table from the fan and the vibration isn't a lot but it happens. I also just got a new chest freezer and it has its own vibration when it kicks on and the cats don't like walking past it. I barely notice it in my wheelchair but the cats can definitely feel it. 

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A very cool anomaly is when sound like radio comes thru in the coils of something like a toaster or hair dryer.

From 70s i played with CB/Ham radios some put out more power and many times in the early 80s at my place in orlando my grandmother would hear me over things like the toaster, not good enough to know what im saying but good enough to call it a voice.

Here in Eustis when conditions are right we hear faint music not well enough to name the tune or track down what its coming thru but its there and not paranormal just a condition of the earth.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2022 at 2:39 AM, Abramelin said:

Would love for that to be the answer, but scary stories or not, doesn't explain the stupid plastic hanger vibrating. LOL

On 9/25/2022 at 3:52 AM, Ell said:

Was it a metal hanger?

Was there a magnet in the toybox?

It was a plastic hanger.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 4:07 AM, Timothy said:

@jowasmus maybe try Rain Rain app for sleep sounds.

The free version is quite good.

It let’s you blend three different soundscapes together and vary the volume or dampen each one.

I’m a light sleeper and have had some anxious stuff going on, but the app helps.

Thanks a lot. I broke a tooth last weekend & just got it fixed. I need all the help sleeping I can get right now. LOL

On 9/25/2022 at 5:16 AM, MissJatti said:

Wierd thing about it is, when you record the clicking sound, it dissappears, only to reappear when you stop recording

Yep. I'm not a firm believer in the supernatural, but I have no explanation for that or the vibrating. It was just weird.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:01 PM, the13bats said:

Or and even more vivid imagination.

I would LOVE to have had it as my imagination. It wasn't. It happened & I have absolutely no explanation for the plastic hanger to be vibrating like that. It stopped when I tried to record. I truly think it was some odd coincedence, but I got not explanation.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:00 PM, the13bats said:

Or keep lonely housewives busy.

LOL

On 9/25/2022 at 5:21 PM, pallidin said:

Hangers on a rod can be extremely sensitive to vibrations, air currents... even walking on the floor.

It's normal.

It wasn't on a rod, it had fallen into a toybox & was vibrating loud enough to attract my attention.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:48 AM, darkmoonlady said:

It wasn't the hanger it was where it was. A wood toy box is a box, which via the floor, even if you don't feel it can transfer vibration like a drum. The hanger acted like a tuning fork and there you go. Your old fridge, or some appliance was making the vibrations which can travel via the floor and to the toybox. 

I've got a small six inch fan clipped to my table here that at times gets slightly off balance. It causes vibration that the items on my table sometimes "catch". My water bottle, or a plastic container will just start dancing across the table from the fan and the vibration isn't a lot but it happens. I also just got a new chest freezer and it has its own vibration when it kicks on and the cats don't like walking past it. I barely notice it in my wheelchair but the cats can definitely feel it. 

Best explanation so far. I love it. I'm going with this one because my fridge does always vibrate. I couldn't feel it. It works for me. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 6:05 PM, the13bats said:

A very cool anomaly is when sound like radio comes thru in the coils of something like a toaster or hair dryer.

From 70s i played with CB/Ham radios some put out more power and many times in the early 80s at my place in orlando my grandmother would hear me over things like the toaster, not good enough to know what im saying but good enough to call it a voice.

Here in Eustis when conditions are right we hear faint music not well enough to name the tune or track down what its coming thru but its there and not paranormal just a condition of the earth.

Right there with you. My dad was big into CB/Ham radios when I was a kid in the 70s. He owned a towing/wrecker business & also sold the CBs & Ham radio equipment. I know 1st hand they interfere with TVs, but my grandmother swore she could hear us talking in her kitchen next door & she didn't have the TV on. Like you said, it was a voice, but not good enough to repeat what was being said. She also swore she could see what we were watching on our satellite as well. It was always dirty stuff...My mom believed her until they were watching the Atlanta Braves play ball & granny came screaming about the dirty shows they were watching. LOL After that nobody believed granny. 

That's cool on the music. I've never heard of that before, but "condition of the earth" is a good enough explanation for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ell said:

Might the vibration have been due to static electricity?

Darkmoonlady suggested the it might have been picking up the vibrations from the fridge. Fridge? Static electricity? Not sure, but the explanations are sounding better to me. ;)

When you picked it up did it still vibrate?

• Haha 1