Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Consciousness

cognition

Hi,

Newbie here.

I am trying to understand how everything is ONE consciousness. I may have understood that the body and mind are not real and the soul/consciousness is the only reality. I'm not able to understand how everything is in fact ONE consciousness.

I may have made some headway by the analogy of the space in a pot being identical with the space outside, or, the different waves being identical with the ocean at their root.

Still doubts linger. Any help will be appreciated.

The analyses of the three states of dream/deep sleep/waking prove that our true nature is consciousness. Consciousness is indivisible because if there is a division then that has to be known by consciousness itself, which leads to infinite regress.

I may understand this logically speaking, but am trying to imbibe it intuitively.

The subject-object paradox is also brought to relief by understanding consciousness. That consciousness is the "inner" reality of both the subject and the object is perhaps as I may have understood it the only way to explain relation.....

"Thomas Hill Green, a great pioneer in the movement of this interpretation of absolute idealism, argues that all relations, whether in sensation or perception, require to be synthesised in order to form contents of a single grasp of knowledge. This synthesis of the manifold of sensations and perceptions is impossible without a synthesising consciousness. Even the existence of the related terms cannot be accounted for without a non-relative consciousness that lies behind relations. This consciousness must be spiritual because it is supernatural, above the appearances of Nature. Consciousness cannot change, for, if it does, it would have to be known by another changeless consciousness persisting through change; else we would end in an infinite regress in our search for the very possibility of a knowledge of change. Consciousness is eternal, for its cessation is inconceivable. If we can think of its cessation, our consciousness ought to survive its cessation, and we would again land in a deathless consciousness. Consciousness should also be universal, for it relates the objects of the whole universe. It is not merely my sensations and perceptions that are synthesised but also the various objects present in the universe. The consciousness that relates objects outside is not my personal mind, for the objects are out there independent of me. Hence, there must be a universal consciousness in which all objects and subjects are held together."

• Like 1

I think the best way you could link it would be with particle physics. We are all waves in the same ocean. Once you strip away man-made constructs and human objectivity we are all particles encompassing the same space and even overlapping onto each other and a lot of the immediate environment. 

• Like 1

Hi, cognition :st, welcome to UM. I hope you get the understanding you're looking for.

• Like 2

For me consciousness is nothing more then the evolved state of our early survival strategies. Animals needed to evolve situational awareness. If they didnt the first T Rex to come along would have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It makes sense to me that over billions of years this process continues until the animal becomes self aware to the point it begins asking "what is the Universe"  ( humans ).  All the woo associated with consciousness is quite hilarious in my opinion. The bigger question is why is there something rather then nothing at all. That " something" doesnt have to involve human consciousness in my opinion

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cognition said:

Hi,

Newbie here.

I am trying to understand how everything is ONE consciousness. I may have understood that the body and mind are not real and the soul/consciousness is the only reality. I'm not able to understand how everything is in fact ONE consciousness.

Hi cognition.  Try this.  You know how sandbox games on computers can produce a primitive but somewhat realistic experience of a world you can interact with?  Imagine now that there was a nice big powerful brain/computer that could perform a super-realistic simulation, not only of the world, but potentially of objects in space.  The Hindus describe the world as "The Dream of Brahma" meaning that Brahma is a god who is dreaming the world into being.  The problem is that Brahma thinks he is a god and he is not awake.  If Brahma wakes up, the universe we know ceases to exist.  The philosophy involved in this is called Simulationism, and it is a very old philosophy, despite recent popular reboots like the Matrix movies and the Mandela Effect confusing people about its apparent modernity.

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts cognition. :)     It is said that all began as a singularity/one.  If so, maybe it still is ..an expansion of same?     I don’t know of course, but  I think there is something rather than nothing..because nothing isn’t possible.  When I dream..I don’t know I am me ,dreaming.  When I wake up I know I am me..or think so anyway,..maybe if Brahma woke up…the “world”/ universe would wake up?! :P
   I think maybe ‘consciousness’ as we seem to perceive it or think about it, is an overrated and misunderstood concept, and  is  only one of ,maybe, infinite levels or manifestations of   is.    ???     

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Thanks for your thoughts cognition. :)     It is said that all began as a singularity/one.  If so, maybe it still is ..an expansion of same?     I don’t know of course, but  I think there is something rather than nothing..because nothing isn’t possible.  When I dream..I don’t know I am me ,dreaming.  When I wake up I know I am me..or think so anyway,..maybe if Brahma woke up…the “world”/ universe would wake up?! :P
   I think maybe ‘consciousness’ as we seem to perceive it or think about it, is an overrated and misunderstood concept, and  is  only one of ,maybe, infinite levels or manifestations of   is.    ???     

Imagine:  In a world, where the Universe has no singularity...no starting point...no ending point, no beginning, no end...imagine the entire universe IS the Mandelbrot Set.   

1 hour ago, joc said:

Imagine:  In a world, where the Universe has no singularity...no starting point...no ending point, no beginning, no end...imagine the entire universe IS the Mandelbrot Set.   

Yup, I almost can imagine that.. I can’t remember a time when I  (and everything)  wasn’t !*   :P   But, I suppose there probably was. ;

I’d watch that if I had more data

Now, this existence must be identical with consciousness; else there would not be even existence, considering the infinitude of consciousness. All existence is consciousness, and all consciousness is existence. If consciousness were different from existence, it would be non-existent, which would be the negation of consciousness itself. If existence is different from consciousness, then, again, consciousness would be non-existent. Further, the very value of existence would thereby be cancelled, due to the impossibility of the admission of anything as existing devoid of any relation to consciousness. Referring to our own selves we find that we can never separate our consciousness from our existence, or our existence from our consciousness. The moment we think, we know we are, and to grant that we are is to imply that we know we are. That the world is, means that it is known, and its knowledge, again, should be what exists. Existence and consciousness do not determine each other, but mean one and the same thing. The two must be inseparable in order that either of them may be possible. The existence of the object as well as of the subject is what is known immediately to consciousness. An external object may be capable of an empirical distinction from the subject that knows it, but pure existence which is common to both is apprehended by a general consciousness. Pure existence is the highest of universals, it comprehends all the generals known to us, and its essence cannot be distinguished from the universal consciousness. This consciousness cannot even be called self-consciousness, for the latter suggests empirical existence limited to space and opposed to an object outside. Absolute existence is absolute consciousness. 

11 hours ago, khol said:

For me consciousness is nothing more then the evolved state of our early survival strategies. Animals needed to evolve situational awareness. If they didnt the first T Rex to come along would have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It makes sense to me that over billions of years this process continues until the animal becomes self aware to the point it begins asking "what is the Universe"  ( humans ).  All the woo associated with consciousness is quite hilarious in my opinion. The bigger question is why is there something rather then nothing at all. That " something" doesnt have to involve human consciousness in my opinion

Maybe, but lots of creatures needed to evolve in the same manner. They don’t ask what the universe is. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lightly said:

Yup, I almost can imagine that.. I can’t remember a time when I  (and everything)  wasn’t !*   :P   But, I suppose there probably was. ;

I’d watch that if I had more data

Hey lightly. This one as complicated as it seems, to me is simple. The most basic of math. 0+0=0. Every time, without fail. Something has always been. 

• Like 1

0+0=0, however, modern science believes that even parallel lines meet at infinity. I would say that infinity+infinity=infinity; infinity-infinity=infinity

11 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Hi cognition.  Try this.  You know how sandbox games on computers can produce a primitive but somewhat realistic experience of a world you can interact with?  Imagine now that there was a nice big powerful brain/computer that could perform a super-realistic simulation, not only of the world, but potentially of objects in space.  The Hindus describe the world as "The Dream of Brahma" meaning that Brahma is a god who is dreaming the world into being.  The problem is that Brahma thinks he is a god and he is not awake.  If Brahma wakes up, the universe we know ceases to exist.  The philosophy involved in this is called Simulationism, and it is a very old philosophy, despite recent popular reboots like the Matrix movies and the Mandela Effect confusing people about its apparent modernity.

Quick , give him some sleeping pills.

• Haha 2

My own docs said that, with respect to trauma, it can be psychological, organic, and often a mixture of both.

11 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Dream is just one state out of the 4 possible.....the dream of Brahma suggests the unreality of the world experience...

Its interesting how long as a species we have lived with conciousness , but how much do we really know about it ?  As we see it , the universe is immensely large , there is a likelyhood that there is so much that we do not know about. But looking at it from this big , little planet , we can only see so much. It seems looking inward can be difficult as well , like looking into a dark fog or something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cognition said:

Dream is just one state out of the 4 possible.....the dream of Brahma suggests the unreality of the world experience...

"Unreality"??

There is nothing unreal about my almost killing someone and myself through a major mistake.

Edited by pallidin

16 minutes ago, pallidin said:

"Unreality"??

There is nothing unreal about my almost killing someone and myself through a major mistake.

TY for your comments. I am by no means "there", however, I am trying to try to imbibe the belief that just as the "dream me" can suffer pain and even hurt others(in dream), even so, when I wake up those things have been absorbed into the waking state and are no longer there....similarly on "rising" from the "waking state" to the 4'th state of "super consciousness"  the "tragedies" of the "waking" state are unreal.

This in no way suggests/implies that getting hurt/hurting others is okay....on the contrary the increase of empathy and such virtues brings one closer to the 4'th state...

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Maybe, but lots of creatures needed to evolve in the same manner. They don’t ask what the universe is. 

It only takes one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Hey lightly. This one as complicated as it seems, to me is simple. The most basic of math. 0+0=0. Every time, without fail. Something has always been

Hey preach :)     I think you must be right.   I always end up thinking that in order for something to  BE ..it has to be experienced in some way.   ???     How could it be otherwise? :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pallidin said:

"Unreality"??

Man alive pallidin !     the way it happened, and you both living through it!      If one were inclined to believe in miracles!*?    

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 2:48 PM, cognition said:

Consciousness is eternal, for its cessation is inconceivable.

I don't understand X, therefore it doesn't exist.  Argument from incredulity fallacy.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:48 PM, cognition said:

Consciousness should also be universal, for it relates the objects of the whole universe. It is not merely my sensations and perceptions that are synthesised but also the various objects present in the universe. The consciousness that relates objects outside is not my personal mind, for the objects are out there independent of me. Hence, there must be a universal consciousness in which all objects and subjects are held together.

He's just described perception of objects.  You're only aware of what you can sense, this doesn't say anything about a universal consciousness, nor is one required to hold objects together.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 4

Consciousness has been described as fractals all reflecting back to the one - I believe that reaches as far back as Hinduism.

I think in 2022 in hyper individualistic societies its harder to tap into other fields of consciousness or opinions that relate to your fellow human in a way that makes you seem them almost as yourself. Quite tough. But we hope to keep trying it creates empathy and sympathy. Which would be our consciousness overlapping onto anothers. 

21 hours ago, joseraul said:

Consciousness has been described as fractals all reflecting back to the one - I believe that reaches as far back as Hinduism.

I think in 2022 in hyper individualistic societies its harder to tap into other fields of consciousness or opinions that relate to your fellow human in a way that makes you seem them almost as yourself. Quite tough. But we hope to keep trying it creates empathy and sympathy. Which would be our consciousness overlapping onto anothers. 

Who describes Consciousness as fractals?  I've never heard that.  How does consciousness overlap onto others?