Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California has legalized human composting

Autistocrates

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/california-has-legalized-human-composting-180980809/

...not everyone loves the idea of turning their loved ones into dirt. The California Catholic Conference opposed the bill, writing in a June letter that human composting “reduces the human body to simply a disposable commodity...

What'll be next? Will future constraint goal posts someday be moved behind lampshades, bar soap and conversation pieces?

Maison du Souvenir - Echec pour Ilse Koch, la « chienne de Buchenwald

• Like 1

• The title was changed to California has legalized human composting

It looks damned near post apocalyptic.  The absolute WORST thing is that it is INTENTIONAL and people there are too tribalized or stupid to understand or care...

• Like 1

A little more:

1 hour ago, and-then said:

It looks damned near post apocalyptic.  The absolute WORST thing is that it is INTENTIONAL and people there are too tribalized or stupid to understand or care...

What's wrong with it? Seems like a free choice that dosen't harm anyone. 

Myself being composted would be of better use than taking up land in a box that I would decompost in anyways.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Why not? It's the circle of life. 

You're gonna be worm food, anyway, might as well skip the middleman. 

I hope my home state will eventually come to legalize it.  Where I live we cannot bury the dead without a casket AND a "vault" to keep the remains from "contaminating" the water table.  

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Bet I could grow some dam good tomatoes, or maybe a fruit tree even better.

As my grandmother would say “Waste not, want not”

• Like 2

I don't see any difference between composting, and being cremated except composting being much more energy efficient. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One would hope that before you go into the composter, that the body, bones included, would be completely ground up so bits, and pieces of grampa's bones (me) dont rise to the surface of the planter, or garden and gross people out. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

I don't see any difference between composting, and being cremated except composting being much more energy efficient. 

And who the hell can afford a funeral? 

• Thanks 4

I’m still hoping for a Tibetan Sky Burial. I’m not a Buddhist, but I want to “give back” to the birds that have entertained me all these years. Of course, that won’t happen until after the Medical College has finished slicing and dicing me. And who knows  - maybe some mischievous Medical students will turn me into a Frankenstein’s monster or something. If that happens, I’ll change my screen name to simplyfrank. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds good, I’ve already left instructions for a thin pine box and a wattle to be planted (ideally on my grave, but that’s unlikely) in my memory.

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I could be used on tobacco crops and, hopefully, be smoked by Salma Hayek

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

If I had a choice, mine would go into feeding asparagus, bananas, cucumbers and wallnuts

9 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

One would hope that before you go into the composter, that the body, bones included, would be completely ground up so bits, and pieces of grampa's bones (me) dont rise to the surface of the planter, or garden...

10 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

How would composting be able to remove all of the toxins accumulated of which were mainly stored into fatty tissue? Proper cremation could filter these out:

Suicide is also a free choice act. Nevertheless, it's still illegal to perform. Whether or not the composting debate revolves around right or wrong, it still raises the question on where desecration is to be defined. You can bet that if a start-up company decides to offer clients the possibility of having their corpse's fatty tissue processed into bar soap or their skin sewn into bucket seat replacements for their widow's 1965 Ford Mustang, this would certainly raise controversy, simply because of certain historical events of which certain groups would connect 

• Like 1

You might not be able to taste the difference. Thus, never knowing the foodstuff's origin. Or do you really want to know?

I have no issues with doing this.   I will be cremated myself but to each their own.  I never understood being buried in a coffin and having a cemetery plot.     

• Like 2