Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK Defence Budget to double.

ThereWeAreThen

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british-defence-spending-to-double-to-100bn/

"Britain’s defence spending to double to £100bn next year, says Defence Secretary Ben Wallace."

Whilst I agree with an increase is needed that is way too much in such a short time.

Edited by ThereWeAreThen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Germany has recently made the same commitments to military spending with 100 billion Euro's extra.  

Although it only brings Germany up to the NATO recommended 2% of GDP.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-lawmakers-approve-100-bln-euro-military-revamp-2022-06-03/ 

The UK and other western powers need to send a message that sanctions are not the only tool in the box to uphold our way of life. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Germany has recently made the same commitments to military spending with 100 billion Euro's extra.  

Although it only brings Germany up to the NATO recommended 2% of GDP.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-lawmakers-approve-100-bln-euro-military-revamp-2022-06-03/ 

The UK and other western powers need to send a message that sanctions are not the only tool in the box to uphold our way of life. 

Again I agree we need an increase, the military has been ripped to shreds for decades but just seems alot in a short time. 

And don't get too excited, there's a chance alot of this money will get wasted, MOD have p***ed alot of money up the wall. Ajax program one example.

12 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Again I agree we need an increase, the military has been ripped to shreds for decades but just seems alot in a short time. 

And don't get too excited, there's a chance alot of this money will get wasted, MOD have p***ed alot of money up the wall. Ajax program one example.

Yes, wasted investment is always a problem but looking at what some spend and what they have to show for it I don't think we are the worst.

I remember the Nimrod project that got completely out of hand and going further back a change of government canceling TSR2.

http://aviation.elettra.co.uk/tsr2/cancellation/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Yes, wasted investment is always a problem but looking at what some spend and what they have to show for it I don't think we are the worst.

I remember the Nimrod project that got completely out of hand and going further back a change of government canceling TSR2.

http://aviation.elettra.co.uk/tsr2/cancellation/

Agreed. 

Well if they're smart they would expand the Destroyer fleet to 12/15 frigates about 21, subs 21. More fighter jets and drones, they've mentioned more rocket artillery and given how affective they are in Ukraine I agree. And bring back the regular army to atleast 100k.

Don't need a massive army anymore its all about strike power.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Agreed. 

Well if they're smart they would expand the Destroyer fleet to 12/15 frigates about 21, subs 21. More fighter jets and drones, they've mentioned more rocket artillery and given how affective they are in Ukraine I agree. And bring back the regular army to atleast 100k.

Don't need a massive army anymore its all about strike power.

Drones seem to be very effective, relatively cheap and no person in danger on a battle field. 

Better than trying to mobilise 300,000 troops for a fight who don't want to go. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what we need to do:

Personal: Increase 194,000 to 300,000.

Fighter Aircraft: Decrease 142 to 50.

Attack Helicopters: Decrease 24 to 0.

Tanks: Decrease 227 to 0. 

Infantry Vehicles: Leave alone at 5000.

Artillery: Decrease 215 to 0.

MLRS: Decrease 44 to 0.

Aircraft Carriers: Decrease 2 to 0.

Submarines: Decrease 10 to 0.

Destroyers: Increase 6 to 20

Frigates: Increase 12 to 30

Nuclear Weapons: Increase 225 to 1000

Now for the new stuff:

Drone Personal Units: Put 100,000 of the new troops into these. 

Fighter Drones: Build 100 decent ones, 250 mid-level ones, and 5000 low-cost swarm ones.

Stealth Aerial Drone Motherships: 20 please, to carry all the fighter drones.

Drone Tanks: 500 please.

Naval Drones: 2000 please.

Submersible Naval Drone Carriers: 20 please, to carry all the naval drones.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Now for the new stuff:

Fighter Drones: Build 100 decent ones, 250 mid-level ones, and 5000 low-cost swarm ones.

Wtf?  Get rid off subs? Decrease fighter jets? No artillery or MLRS?? You on drugs?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Wtf?  Get rid off subs? Decrease fighter jets? No artillery or MLRS?? You on drugs?

They are all redundant due to drones.

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

They are all redundant due to drones.

So yea you're on drugs. You completely missed the effectiveness of MRLS and artilery. You havent really followed the Russian invasion of Ukraine have you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

So yea you're on drugs. You completely missed the effectiveness of MRLS and artilery. You havent really followed the Russian invasion of Ukraine have you?

Welcome to my ignore list, your trolling will now go unanswered.

• Haha 1

If the British government continues to poke the Russian Bear, even an unlimitted spending increase will not stop a hypersonic missle from entring the fireplace's chimney on Downing Street. Perhaps was a certain planet-sized brain behind this proposal

52 minutes ago, Autistocrates said:

If the British government continues to poke the Russian Bear, even an unlimitted spending increase will not stop a hypersonic missle from entring the fireplace's chimney on Downing Street. Perhaps was a certain planet-sized brain behind this proposal

Who are those two and why would we trust their analysis or take their advice?

• Like 1

Nothing says that their anal ysis and advice should be taken. They are simply subjects of debate. Which errors are you finding, in their opinions?

The USA has already given over $25 billion dollars in aid to the Ukraine.   I think that is too much.   

The UK's increase seems too much, too fast but I don't know what the state of it is.

Edited by Myles

23 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british-defence-spending-to-double-to-100bn/

"Britain’s defence spending to double to £100bn next year, says Defence Secretary Ben Wallace."

Whilst I agree with an increase is needed that is way too much in such a short time.

Chin-chin, old boy, you're a man of Harlech, now!

1 hour ago, Autistocrates said:

Poke the Russian bear? Are you kidding me? NATO have "crossed" Russian "red lines" already as have Ukraine, theyll do nothing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Now for the new stuff:

I don't think most of your countrymen are ready to join your Society for Living on our Knees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Autistocrates said:

f the British government continues to poke the Russian Bear, even an unlimitted spending increase will not stop a hypersonic missle from entring the fireplace's chimney on Downing Street. Perhaps was a certain planet-sized brain behind this proposal

Russia wouldn't do that. HMS Resolution, alone, has enough nuclear warheads to completely decimate the Russian Empire, not to mention she has three sister ships armed with the same lethal arsenal.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't think most of your countrymen are ready to join your Society for Living on our Knees.

Dont now or the troll will block you like he did me, took me a while to get ignored by the neanderthal but I got there!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Autistocrates said:

Nothing says that their anal ysis and advice should be taken. They are simply subjects of debate. Which errors are you finding, in their opinions?

Mainly that they don't evidence any of those opinions. They just parrot Putin's press releases then say what they would do, based on the wild assumption that Putin is telling the truth.

So what qualifies them to be believed without evidence?

Given that the only trace I can find of the one on the right is a former lawyer who was disbarred for lying to his clients...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Autistocrates said:

This is the only way to reduce inflation.

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:52 PM, ThereWeAreThen said:

He is. Lots of them and cookies too. 

Please allow Supreme Allied Cookie his delusions.