Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Edward Snowden granted Russian citizenship by Vladimir Putin

Still Waters

The former contractor with the US National Security Agency (NSA) has been living in Russia since 2013 to escape prosecution in the US after leaking classified documents detailing government surveillance programmes.

Snowden's lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, told Russia's state news agency RIA Novosti the former contractor's wife Lindsay Mills, an American who has been living with him in Russia, will also be applying for a Russian passport.

https://news.sky.com/story/edward-snowden-granted-russian-citizenship-by-vladimir-putin-12705918

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Maybe he would adopt Trump and get him out of our country too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

"Can't we just drone him"?  - Hillary Clinton

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe he would adopt Trump and get him out of our country too.

Yeah... nah...  What do you think might happen if Trump decides to run and he manages to win?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I feel sorry for Snowden. He risked his life and destroyed his livelihood to expose something which was dismissed by everyone as a "conspiracy theory" when discussed. Now he is hated and governments illegally spying on their own citizens doesn't even raise eyebrows. Previously you were crazy for thinking they did.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

I feel sorry for Snowden. He risked his life and destroyed his livelihood to expose something which was dismissed by everyone as a "conspiracy theory" when discussed. Now he is hated and governments illegally spying on their own citizens doesn't even raise eyebrows. Previously you were crazy for thinking they did.

I don't hate him.  He should have just went to court and not fled but he did the right thing otherwise.  If he had gone through channels it would have been buried and we would never have known the truth. He also should not accept citizenship in Russia.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, and-then said:

Yeah... nah...  What do you think might happen if Trump decides to run and he manages to win?

He isn't going to run no matter how much you hope.   He is over 75, has dementia, lots of legal issues and the republican party got what they wanted from him so they will not let him run on their ticket.  Like I asked before, are you going to donate money and help him fund raise so he can run on the MAGA party ticket?   Has he created his own party yet?   That's what it would take for him to run for president again.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

He also should not accept citizenship in Russia.

Snowden did mention that he would come back to the U.S if guaranteed a fair trial. That has not happened yet. Russia is one of the only country that is offering him a life with his family. What should he not accept it?

Edited by Occult1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

He isn't going to run no matter how much you hope.   He is over 75, has dementia, lots of legal issues and the republican party got what they wanted from him so they will not let him run on their ticket.  Like I asked before, are you going to donate money and help him fund raise so he can run on the MAGA party ticket?   Has he created his own party yet?   That's what it would take for him to run for president again.

Many people would donate to Trump. Just about every Republican I know, still supports him. Though I doubt he'll run. Or wants to deal with the FBI breathing down his neck. I'd guess he'll back Desantis. Time will tell.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Occult1 said:

Snowden did mention that he would come back to the U.S if guaranteed a fair trial. That has not happened yet. Russia is one of the only country that is offering him a life with his family. What should he not accept it?

In the USA we are guaranteed a fair trial.  Whether that guarantee happens or not is certainly arguable but I bet if he had faced the music years ago he'd be out by now or would never have been found guilty.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

Many people would donate to Trump. Just about every Republican I know, still supports him. Though I doubt he'll run. Or wants to deal with the FBI breathing down his neck. I'd guess he'll back Desantis. Time will tell.

I don't know any republicans who still support him.   He isn't going to run and I doubt he will back anyone.   It will between Desantis and Pence on the republican ticket.  Right now it looks like Pence is more desirable than Desantis to me, but I won't vote for either of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Occult1 said:

What should he not accept it?

Hi Occult

Why not just so long as he understands that he can be drafted to serve his new country 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The former contractor with the US National Security Agency (NSA) has been living in Russia since 2013 to escape prosecution in the US after leaking classified documents detailing government surveillance programmes.

Snowden's lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, told Russia's state news agency RIA Novosti the former contractor's wife Lindsay Mills, an American who has been living with him in Russia, will also be applying for a Russian passport.

https://news.sky.com/story/edward-snowden-granted-russian-citizenship-by-vladimir-putin-12705918

He violated The law no different than any foreign spy would have it’s one thing to be a whistle blower and another to steal and release Top Secret documents to the world, when he did that he went from being a whistle blower to being a traitor. Does anyone believe he has not been working for the Russians since he arrived there, if he had nothing to offer the Russians they would have gotten rid of him long ago. With his computer background and knowledge of the US classified networks there is no telling what other information he may have compromised.

I have no idea how any American can view him as some kind of hero because he certainly is not. While I don’t agree with the government’s actions at all ( Spying on Americans ) I do believe there were others ways to expose it within the government itself.

JIMO

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Occult

Why not just so long as he understands that he can be drafted to serve his new country 

I hope he is drafted and captured in the Ukraine that’s one way to finally bring him back to face the crime he committed. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Occult1 said:

Do you think they offered him what he has received for nothing?

He working for the Russian Government there is not another reason they would allow him to stay. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I hope he is drafted and captured in the Ukraine that’s one way to finally bring him back to face the crime he committed. 

Hi Grim

lol he will be the first to surrender or get shot by another Russian to motivate the men to go fight. He gets captured enlisted by a foreign country added to treason he would be better off to shoot himself 

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Occult

Nonsense. IT professionals, bankers and journalists are excluded from the draft.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Do you think they offered him what he has received for nothing?

He working for the Russian Government there is not another reason they would allow him to stay. 

Perhaps. We don't know. But an highly intelligent IT system worker would be a welcome addition to any country. Russia just happen to be one of the very few country who would dare not send him back to the U.S. France refused to grant him asylum in 2013 when he made a request and Macron also denied him in 2019.

Edited by Occult1

3 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

Many people would donate to Trump. 

His super PAC raised 40 dollars in August.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Occult1 said:

Perhaps. We don't know. But an highly intelligent IT system worker would be a welcome addition to any country. Russia just happen to be one of the very few country who would dare not send him back to the U.S. France refused to grant him asylum in 2013 when he made a request and Macron also denied him in 2019.

Yes he would have intimate knowledge of US Government computer systems and security plus all the stolen documents were never publicly released. Like I said he would certainly make a valuable asset for a hostile Nation looking for intelligence on the United States, why would a US Allie give him asylum France did the right thing. 

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Has he created his own party yet?

He owns what used to be the Republican party.  I asked a hypothetical.  Why not just answer it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Occult1 said:

Nonsense. IT professionals, bankers and journalists are excluded from the draft.

Hi Occult

Well that changes everything, instead of getting shot or being taken as a prisoner he can fall out a window or down several flights of stairs.:lol:

5 hours ago, Occult1 said:

...an highly intelligent IT system worker would be a welcome addition to any country...

As if Russia didn't have enough of their own. The only use the Russians have for him is as a conversation piece. In any event, Snowden will still be obligated to declare income over $60.000

6 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

He violated The law...

So did those submorons shooting civilians from that helicopter. If they would have behaved themselves according to traditional military discipline guidelines, Russia would now not be in posession of their most valuable propaganda tool

Edited by Autistocrates

I've read Snowden's stolen traitorous materials several times. Interesting reads, but he is still a damn traitor.

Every developed government has secret intelligence activities and programs.

• Thanks 1

They have every right to have them. Where governments don't have rights is in abusing such programs in order to cover up criminal activity of which they themselves are responsible for overseeing