Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Feral pigs torment residents in New Zealand capital

Still Waters

Marauding feral pigs have blighted a central suburb in New Zealand’s capital, killing kid goats at an urban farm, intimidating dogs and turning up in residents’ gardens.

The owners of a goat milk farm in the hills of the suburb of Brooklyn, 10 minutes from the centre of Wellington, has lost about 60 kid goats to pigs in the past few months. Often, all that is left of them are gnawed bone fragments and parts of the hooves or head.

New Zealand’s feral pig population descended from pigs brought out on colonial ships in the late 1700s. They are now well established across about roughly a third of the country and are known to damage native ecosystems and pastures, kill newborn animals such as lambs and carry bovine tuberculosis.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/27/its-a-scene-wild-pigs-torment-residents-in-new-zealand-capital

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Open hunting season should take care of them or possible incentivize with a bounty.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

Open hunting season should take care of them or possible incentivize with a bounty.

I know if I had feral hogs where I live I sure wouldn't want for meat. Maybe have to take out a small loan for a couple of freezers.

• Like 3

That area has become a sort of sanctuary, no-kill zone for them, because country folk know how to deal with the problem, while city folk are too squeamish to.

6 hours ago, Ell said:

Got to emigrate to New Zealand. The people there clearly aren't hungry.

They simply do not know how to hunt with spears and kitchen knives:

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/08/31/new-zealand-gun-confiscation-n61995

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20210201/never-enough-new-zealand-set-for-second-gun-confiscation

...As with Australia's 1996 national firearms "buyback" program, law-abiding New Zealand gun owners were forced to turn their lawfully-acquired property over to the government...

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Autistocrates said:

I don't know many hunters who use a gun on wild pigs.usually a pack of dogs and a big knife. The gun is for deer hunting. 

• Like 2

They are hard to catch in thick bush and steep country. I had them come through my property nightly until I got two jersey steers that don't like other animals in their paddocks. I haven't seen one since. They are getting out of hand here in parts of Oz as well despite every second local owning packs of pig dogs.

• Like 2

We have wild boar in the States, usually open season year-round and no limits as they an invasive species. You don't hunt them with just dogs and a knife.

See the source image

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

We have wild boar in the States, usually open season year-round and no limits as they an invasive species. You don't hunt them with just dogs and a knife.

See the source image

They do here, especially if your dogs have it held down. Rifle shot maybe, but never anything that could also harm your dogs

• Like 2

Ours are hybrids of Russian Wild Boar, introduced for hunting and feral domestic swine. They can measure in excess of 3.7 meters and weigh up to 450 kilograms. Hunters here use dogs to track them, then they are dispatched with high caliber rifles. They're nothing to trifle with. They're quite capable of killing dogs and hunter.

The best dog killers are the small boars, 40 or 50kg of lightning fast muscle with razor sharp knives attached, the dogs can't get an ear quick enough and get ripped. We did have two English mastiff cross Danes that would often crush the pigs skulls before we caught up. They were huge dogs. I can't see hunters getting on top of feral pig populations as there are domestic pigs escaping all the time.

• Like 1

Dogs are also an invasive species, in Australia. 

Here's what a woman from Montana U.S.A. did to a husky. In turn, she got trolled on social media for culling a desease-carrying feral:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11253145/Grinning-Montana-woman-kills-skins-HUSKY-thinking-baby-wolf.html

...Many of them have now been recovered and have tested positive for parvovirus - a deadly disease that spreads among dogs...

Here, a new type of Australian divorce has been invented, using violent pigs for administrating the backyard court proceedings. The victim's parents were more than likely David Bowie and Roxy Music fans:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/body-of-roxlyn-bowie-may-have-been-fed-to-pigs-husband-s-trial-told-20220928-p5bljz.html

On 9/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, Hammerclaw said:

See the source image

Jesus, that's a monster!