Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Medical terrorist. Doctor poisoned IV bags.

Myles

Alarming footage from Aug. 4 shows Ortiz emerging from a room at 12:35 p.m. at Baylor Scott & White Surgicare in North Dallas holding an IV bag as he walks down an empty hall toward a fridge used for warming saline solution.

He passes the fridge, makes a U-turn then deposits an IV bag inside. After closing the door, he furtively scans the hall before exiting the frame.

A nurse retrieved the poisoned bag at 12:11 p.m., which was administered to a 56-year-old woman undergoing cosmetic surgery, according to a federal criminal complaint out of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Texas.

She suffered serious cardiac complications and was rushed to a nearby hospital.

Another clip from Aug. 19 appears to show Ortiz at about 10:24 a.m. with a saline pouch hidden under a paper folder. He swaps the IV bag with one in the warming fridge.

The contaminated solution was given to a 54-year-old woman undergoing abdominal surgery who also suffered a cardiac emergency, the criminal complaint says.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dallas-doctor-dubbed-medical-terrorist-caught-tampering-iv-bags

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ell said:

He might suffer from Münchhausen by proxy.

Or he is a psychopath.

I'm going with your second option.   

3 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Disgruntled employee, perhaps?

I don't think it is that simple.  Certainly disgruntled though.     Lots of premeditated instances over several months.   

Perhaps he thought if he made the other Doctors look bad it would make him look better.

Apparently he was ready to flee when he was caught.  He had $7000 on him.  

11 hours ago, Ell said:

He might suffer from Münchhausen by proxy.

Or he is a psychopath.

Or both, a person can be both.

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Or both, a person can be both.

Or a Democrat. He was probably contaminating blood because it is red.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

I mean, did you think that was a funny joke in your head?  Forget the fact that an IV bag is clear, but what inside of you thought this was the least bit funny?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Hur hur hur murder is funny. 
That’s low, Ducky.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Agent0range said:

I mean, did you think that was a funny joke in your head?  Forget the fact that an IV bag is clear, but what inside of you thought this was the least bit funny?

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Hur hur hur murder is funny. 
That’s low, Ducky.

Yeah, a bit telling who laughs at such a "joke" and who doesnt, i like duck and most of his posts so i just moved on, i just got the stink eye for allegly bringing trump into a UFO thread, i cant recall if i did, sounds like me but as much fun as i poke at politics i admit i didnt find this one funny.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yeah, a bit telling who laughs at such a "joke" and who doesnt, i like duck and most of his posts so i just moved on, i just got the stink eye for allegly bringing trump into a UFO thread, i cant recall if i did, sounds like me but as much fun as i poke at politics i admit i didnt find this one funny.

It was a sarcastic comment highlighting the fact this does not appear to be politically charged despite the fact the prosecutors labelling the accused as a medical terrorist.  Terrorism is by definition politically motivated.

Discussions on criminology are usually held in an alternative forum.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

It was a sarcastic comment highlighting the fact this does not appear to be politically charged despite the fact the prosecutors labelling the accused as a medical terrorist.  Terrorism is by definition politically motivated.

Discussions on criminology are usually held in an alternative forum.

I kinda figured sarcasm.

One might think a prosecutor would know terrorism didnt apply perhaps they were going for more dramatic flare.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I kinda figured sarcasm.

One might think a prosecutor would know terrorism didnt apply perhaps they were going for more dramatic flare.

Oddly, there is no mention of terrorism on the DOJ press release of 15 September 2022

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/texas-anesthesiologist-arrested-criminal-charges-related-alleged-tampering-iv-bags-implicated

It reminds me of the case of Benjamin Geen in England

Failed appeals[edit]

Geen's case was reviewed by lawyers and volunteers from the London Innocence Project. Geen's barrister, Michael Powers QC, has stated that "there was a major miscarriage of justice."[18] Mark McDonald, founder and chair of the London Innocence Project, has stated that he believes the case against Geen was manufactured to fit the circumstances.[19] Geen's family believes he is the victim of a "witch-hunt" by officials seeking to avoid mistakes made in the case of Dr. Harold Shipman.[20][21]

A first appeal failed in November 2009, when the Court of Appeal rejected his defence.[18] Richard Thorburn, son of Geen victim John Thorburn, publicly insisted in 2014 that Geen had been rightfully convicted.[13]

Geen's subsequent applications for appeal to the Criminal Cases Review Commission, the public body that investigates alleged miscarriages of justice, have all been rejected. For his first application his defence team recruited mathematical experts who stated that a statistical cluster of respiratory arrests was not unusual, but the miscarriage of justice watchdog was unconvinced and rejected his application.[22] The CCRC noted that, besides the statistics, there was other compelling indicating Geen's guilt, such as the syringe full of drugs found in his pocket which he had tried to hide and the fact that all of the patients had rapidly declined while under his personal care.[13] Statistics had actually only made up a minor part of the evidence against Geen, and his conviction had mainly been based on the direct evidence against him that the CCRC had taken note of when turning down the application.[11] The commission was then forced to reconsider its decision in the wake of a legal challenge, but in July 2020 the CCRC again announced that they saw no reason to refer Geen's case to the Court of Appeal and rejected his application.[22][23] In total his appeals have been denied on three occasions.

In a 2017 episode of the CBS Reality programme The Jury Room, in which 12 members of the public were asked to act as a 'jury' and review the evidence against Geen, the 'jury' unanimously concluded that Geen was guilty and not a victim of a miscarriage of justice.[11] High-profile detective Colin Sutton, best known for leading the Metropolitan Police investigations into Levi Bellfield and Delroy Grant, has also publicly stated that Geen is likely guilty, highlighting that his defence team's argument that statistical clusters of respiratory arrests are not uncommon does not explain why all the arrests happened while nurse Geen was on duty tending to the patients.[11] He has also pointed to the fact that there was a large amount of other evidence against him which the statistics could not account for.[11]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Geen#Failed_appeals

15.0 An unusual pattern
Is Benjamin Geen a killer, or the unluckiest guy in England?
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sum-of-all-parts/15.0-an-unusual-pattern/11521540

• Like 1