Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

India lottery: jackpot winner fed up with requests for help

Still Waters

An Indian lottery winner has said he is so overwhelmed with requests for financial help that he regrets getting the jackpot.

Anoop, an auto driver from the southern state of Kerala, had won 250mn rupees ($3.06m, £2.9m) in a state government lottery earlier in September.

But a week later, he posted a video requesting strangers to stop bothering him and his family.

"I wish I hadn't won," he says. "The third prize may have been better."

Anoop says in the video that he is considering moving houses to escape the overwhelming public attention.

He had made national headlines when he won the prize, the highest ever offered in the state for a lottery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-63030960

• Like 4

I wonder how many of the people making requests for money would be handing it out willy-nilly if they were in his position!

• Like 3

Some states in the U.S. require winners to be publicly identified.  Imagine winning a couple of hundred million and have everyone in the world aware of it.  

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, and-then said:

Some states in the U.S. require winners to be publicly identified.  Imagine winning a couple of hundred million and have everyone in the world aware of it.  

I think an extended vacation would be in order to get away.   Maybe even move.