Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Legendary herb silphium likely found in Turkey

Skulduggery

I'd been following this for some time. The biggest argument against it is ferula drudeana is more closely related to Anatolian species than north African species of ferula. But 2,000 years is a long time. To me, it seems the odds are good it is silphium. In one article posted about it on a different site (that copied this article word-for-word), a commenter had said they'd seen something similar growing on Santorini. 

• Like 2

What are health benefits of this plant?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CloudSix said:

What are health benefits of this plant?

Silphion was used for many things, including as a treatment for various ailments and diseases, as an aphrodisiac, as a perfume, as seasoning for food and even as a contraceptive.

• Like 2

I'm aware that plants, herbs and mushrooms can possess extraordinary healing/curative properties, or sometimes kill you.

The FDA has a special division which studies the benefits and toxicity of known and newly discovered plants, etc.

• Like 1

Used as an aphrodisiac and as
a contraceptive? That seems like a win win situation.
  • Haha 3

It wasn't well-known necessarily for being a “miracle plant,” although it was used as an herbal remedy, too. A lot of that is clickbait-y just a little. It was foremost known as being a delicious thing/great seasoning plant for culinary usage..

In my opinion silphion / silphium these days is called Papaver somniferum: opium.

It did not have anything to do with ferula.

• Like 1