Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It's <name>essie all over the place

stereologist

It used to be Champ for decades. Then the BBC found out about the surgeon's photograph and decided to make Nessie the most famous lake monster of them all. Why give the glory to those break away colonists?

Now there are other lake monsters with similar names.

Tessie

http://weirdus.com/states/california/bizarre_beasts/tessie/

Locals maintain that a large, unidentified, serpent-like creature lives in the deepest parts of the lake, and usually appears around June in even-numbered years. Dubbed “Tessie” in imitation of Loch Ness’ “Nessie,” the beast allegedly appears in Washoe Indian legend, and may have first been spotted by 19th century settlers.

Bownessie

https://nationalcryptidsociety.org/2018/04/06/bownessie-dragon-of-the-north/

‘Bownessie’ has been recorded on camera several times in the last 11 years and I believe that the descriptions of the animal clearly pass the test for misidentification, with many of the sightings leaving little room for rebuttal of the plesiosaur theory.

Pressie

https://99wfmk.com/pressielakesuperior/

The creature is said to have a serpent's body, a horse-type head, the tail of a whale, long neck, blackish-green and 75 feet long.

Messie

https://www.alpfmedical.info/freshwater-monster/messie.html

Freshwater Monster of South Carolina. Variant name: Loch Murray monster. Physical description: A large fish or humped animal. Length, 30 feet.

and to confuse Mussie

https://exemplore.com/cryptids/Lake-Monsters-in-the-US-and-Canada

Older accounts paint a picture of a strange serpent with multiple eyes. Today, Mussie is thought of as an unknown marine mammal of some kind. Sightings allegedly go back as far as several hundreds of years and included an undocumented encounter by explorer Samuel de Champlain.

Bessie

https://greatlakes.guide/ideas/meet-bessie-the-loch-ness-monsters-canadian-cousin-livin

I should probably mention that the Lake Erie Islands are near plenty of resorts and tourist areas, where people drink, party, and live it up on boats… coincidence? Maybe not.

Over the centuries, people have described Bessie in many ways. Some say she has a dog-like head and large fins. Some even say she has human-like arms.

Now for chessie

https://www.misfitsandmysteries.com/post/is-the-chesapeake-bay-harboring-its-very-own-sea-monster

The Chesapeake Bay Monster, or as Maryland locals have nicknamed it, Chessie, is a giant sea serpent estimated to be around 30 feet long, about as thick as a telephone pole, and dark in color. Almost all sightings of Chessie occur between July and October. Despite Chessie’s preference for shallow water and swimming near small fishing boats and swimmers, there is no evidence Chessie is a vicious creature or has any intention to harm a human.

Now we again get confused by the name cressie

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/water-monster-cressie-1.5340888

You've no doubt heard of Nessie, the monster of the deep, freshwater Loch Ness in Scotland, but have you heard of Newfoundland's very own lake monster?

Cressie, as she's known to locals, is said to live in Crescent Lake in Robert's Arm, Notre Dame Bay. 

"It was first sighted in the 1950s and it is still actually spotted by people regularly," said Nicole Penney, an archivist at Memorial University's folklore and language archive.

Cressie is said to be a snake-like creature, but descriptions vary as being anywhere between 20 and 40 feet long, and brown in colour, Penney said. 

Flossie - sounds like a way to avoid the dentist (Second site to mention drinking)

https://www.flatheadlakers.org/flathead-lake-monster

Reports have been submitted by first time visitors as well as from life-long lake residents, and from drinkers and non-drinkers. Details of the creature have been described by mothers, doctors, lawyers, biologists, engineers, anglers, and policemen.

So, keep your eyes open and be extra alert when traveling in the areas around Skidoo Bay, Polson Bay, The Narrows, and along the west-shore road. You never know when you could see Flossie.

Finally I mention Issie

https://ezinearticles.com/?Issie---The-Japanese-Lake-Monster&id=4491715

In terms of what this creature might really be, if eyewitnesses are to be believed; then this might be a creature similar to the very infamous Loch Ness, or the lesser-known Champ. If not a Suaropod, then Issie, pronounced as Isshy by the locals, might be a serpent-like creature measuring almost 30 feet long.

That's a lot of lake monsters and for some reason not a single one has been shown to be real. Weird right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I saw that drinking was mentioned as a cause for sightings.

One of the places in the Lake Champlain basin that has many reports is Bulwagga Bay. That is where a local bar is located. Another problem is that the Bay is quite shallow and would not allow a large monster to swim through there.

With all of the lake monsters supposedly out there why hasn't one been found. It has been according to legend been hundreds of years of sightings and not one found anywhere in the world.

Beginning to sound like they are not that rare.

• Like 1

Well, with all these different “creatures” reported in so many places, one has to wonder if there is something to the mystery.

• Like 1

This one is a sea monster instead of a lake monster, but you get the idea…

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Well, with all these different “creatures” reported in so many places, one has to wonder if there is something to the mystery.

I suspect that the lack of finding a creature means this tells us something about the human brain and how it functions.

To form it into a question, why do people see/hear/believe in creatures that do not appear to exist?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Guyver said:

This one is a sea monster instead of a lake monster, but you get the idea…

That is the best video I have seen of a large creature in the water. The camera was steady. The image was in focus. :tu:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I suspect that the lack of finding a creature means this tells us something about the human brain and how it functions.

To form it into a question, why do people see/hear/believe in creatures that do not appear to exist?

Well, the people who reported seeing the creatures saw something they couldn’t explain, and to them it seemed like an unknown creature so they believe in it?  Then, others hear the stories and believe it as well.

• Like 1

@Guyver, I read through the comments and the one of interest to me is the setting. The person identified this as Tarpon Bay. It is only 4 to 5 feet deep.

I was wondering if what I was seeing was a whale in water too shallow to easily swim. But it is too shallow except for small whales such as porpoise.

These folks do tours

https://tarponbayexplorers.com/

You will hold and learn about wildlife living at the bottom of the estuary – including sea stars, horseshoe crabs, oysters, live shells and much more! Then spend an hour boating around Tarpon Bay. Possible sightings include manatees, dolphins, birds and fish!

The shallow depth would match dolphins surrounding prey fish. It might also be a group of manatees which were startled.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stereologist said:

@Guyver, I read through the comments and the one of interest to me is the setting. The person identified this as Tarpon Bay. It is only 4 to 5 feet deep.

I was wondering if what I was seeing was a whale in water too shallow to easily swim. But it is too shallow except for small whales such as porpoise.

These folks do tours

https://tarponbayexplorers.com/

The shallow depth would match dolphins surrounding prey fish. It might also be a group of manatees which were startled.

Yeah, I'm thinking those tours are going to be on hold for awhile.  

22 minutes ago, Resume said:

Yeah, I'm thinking those tours are going to be on hold for awhile.  

The video is at least 8 years old. At least 2 comments are that old

16 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The video is at least 8 years old. At least 2 comments are that old

The tour company is still in operation though . . .  well, at least it was until Ian.

On 10/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, stereologist said:

That is the best video I have seen of a large creature in the water. The camera was steady. The image was in focus. :tu:

Its a great video even if the poster comes off like a walking pile of fertilizer.

Ive been to the tarpon bay, Sanibel Island area many times its ocean water and areas can range in depth from inches to who knows how deep plus every type sea creature known very well might hang out there plus creatures like manatees and other fresh water creatures that come and go.

Florida especially south fl is full of non indigenous creatures just because a camera guy doesnt know what a creature is that he saw and filmed for a few seconds doesnt make it unknown past being unknown to him.

this is how BS spreads that cat likely told everyone who would listen he saw a sea monster and it could only be a sea monster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Its a great video even if the poster comes off like a walking pile of fertilizer.

Ive been to the tarpon bay, Sanibel Island area many times its ocean water and areas can range in depth from inches to who knows how deep plus every type sea creature known very well might hang out there plus creatures like manatees and other fresh water creatures that come and go.

Florida especially south fl is full of non indigenous creatures just because a camera guy doesnt know what a creature is that he saw and filmed for a few seconds doesnt make it unknown past being unknown to him.

this is how BS spreads that cat likely told everyone who would listen he saw a sea monster and it could only be a sea monster.

Used to live there in the mid-80s, where I participated in a swamp ape hunt that pretty much ended up in a bar, and began there too!  Anyway, great fishing (at the time) and lots of nature.  Overbuilt now, though perhaps not in the future.  Ian right ****ed that all up.  The land I owned, and planned to build on in Cape Coral, and Pine Island was pretty much scoured.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Resume said:

Used to live there in the mid-80s, where I participated in a swamp ape hunt that pretty much ended up in a bar, and began there too!  Anyway, great fishing (at the time) and lots of nature.  Overbuilt now, though perhaps not in the future.  Ian right ****ed that all up.  The land I owned, and planned to build on in Cape Coral, and Pine Island was pretty much scoured.

Sorry on the ian damage, you know that area you know what i mean about all the critters,

Just fri night coming home on 46 from sanford to eustis i saw another odd animal lol i catch a few second glimpse, bear? Dog? Heck, it looked like a little moose but i highly doubt it wasnt a known critter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Sorry on the ian damage, you know that area you know what i mean about all the critters,

Just fri night coming home on 46 from sanford to eustis i saw another odd animal lol i catch a few second glimpse, bear? Dog? Heck, it looked like a little moose but i highly doubt it wasnt a known critter.

Thanks, but no worries as I divested myself of that land a awhile ago, though the devastation in the area was very disturbing. But you're right about the creatures; we used to remark about the turkey vultures perched on the lines above Sanibel/Captiva road, watching all the Q-tips drive past.  As a Q-tip now myself, it's not so funny anymore, and one wonders how both Q-tips and scavengers are faring right now.

• Like 1