Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk unveils his new Optimus robot at Tesla's AI Day

UM-Bot

So on 9/30/22 (so yesterday at the time of this post) I watched the annual Chinese robotic convention on the local news. Just gotta say Elon, your robot is just sad by comparison.

Edited by newbloodmoon
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, newbloodmoon said:

So on 9/30/22 (so yesterday at the time of this post) I watched the annual Chinese robotic convention on the local news. Just gotta say Elon, your robot is just sad by comparison.

but...

Are we really comparing apples to apples here?  Elon said that the problem with robots is they don't have a brain...his plans for Optimus are independently moving fingers and thumbs, and the ability to navigate the world around them...a useful, affordable robot that can be widely available...a robot that can help you with everyday chores around the house and in the business environment. 

I think I am more  greatly impressed with Optimus than say, Atlas.  To stress this point...the key to a functioning useful robot is to be able to navigate the world autonomously.  While many of the other robot creations by various companies are impressive they lack the main factor of usefulness which is autonomy.  Most robots are programmed to do all of their movements by a human putting on a robotic suit that programs their movements into the machine.  That is quite marvelous.  But imagine when Optimus will be able to do things for you that are really useful, like, wash your dishes and put them in the dishwasher, then put them all back in the cabinet.  Dust the entire house, carefully and meticulously picking up all the things sitting around that make dusting such a chore.  Mow your yard.  I actually can envision in the not to far distant future...Personal Robots, which will become so intrinsic in our lives we will not be able to imagine life without them.  

Imagine this...you get a call at the airport from your PR (personal robot) telling you that your flight is cancelled and that it has requested an ORD (Optimus Robot Driver) to Uber you back home.  And then 5 minutes later you get the announcement that your flight has been cancelled.  

Edited by joc

I get what your saying @joc and that’s all very cool, but compared to some of the things I saw at the international expo the clip Elon’s robot seemed hohum to me that’s all. The news story (not the one above) mentioned robots that through AI could read facial cues and offer sympathy to those feeling down as well as the dog like robots ( which were featured in above clip) could be programmed to be guide animals for those with disabilities.

• Like 2

It looks like a first generation Terminator.  Right now we could take it down…..but give it some time and yeah…. trouble’s coming.  When your computer glitches, it doesn’t grab you by the throat and pile drive you to the ground! 

• Haha 3

Elon's robot looks like something from 20 years ago. Not impressive in any way. He should be embarrassed to showcase it.

Edited by moonman
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, joc said:

.a robot that can help you with everyday chores around the house and in the business environment. 

Is that attractive or desirable to have an auto loading dishwasher  that costs you some monthly payment like another cable service?   Will it be another excuse  to use on young people who complain they can't afford a house or apartment: stop drinking Starbucks and get rid of your personal robot? 

At work, isn't it more likely that the company will own the personal robots and it be more profitable to them  to replace you rather than help you?  Funny to think about, but  AI traders have already supplanted many stock traders, the algorithms are better at it, and all they need is a box, no arms and legs.  They can replace those million dollar wonder boys on Wall Street pretty easily.  AI could readily replace many corporate financial and management types already.  Who do you suspect resists that?   The high dollar power coupon holders who don't want to be replaced and are paying attention.

Now tell average Joe that somebody can mow his lawn or make him feel like a big shot.  No worries, just embrace it. 

Then we find that  ambidextrous robot that can clip grass and load dishwashers can also hang sheetrock, paint houses, lay tile, landscape, roof, and even construct houses.  They can stock shelves in grocery stores or be the wish fulfillment crew in Amazon warehouses.  They could even make the perfect vanilla latte with a shot of chai or cook a perfect rib eye. 

Who do you think will own all of those, the warehouse workers or the warehouse owners?

• Like 1

Elon Musk will own it all.

Until....

...his fear comes true and Optimus rules the world...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newbloodmoon said:

I get what your saying @joc and that’s all very cool, but compared to some of the things I saw at the international expo the clip Elon’s robot seemed hohum to me that’s all. The news story (not the one above) mentioned robots that through AI could read facial cues and offer sympathy to those feeling down as well as the dog like robots ( which were featured in above clip) could be programmed to be guide animals for those with disabilities.

I know.  Ho hum now...but the dogs...China didn't build that...they just copied it from Boston Dynamics ...like they copy everything.  Who wants to listen to a humanoid robot sing...when you can hire a humanoid robot to play Beethoven's  5th flawlessly at your wedding party? Before man ever steps foot on Mar's, there will  no doubt be a working colony of Optimus Astronauts.  Just saying.  The Hare didn't win the race...the Tortoise did!  ;)

• Like 1

Boston Dynamics robots rock!!

• Like 1

My problem with Boston D and others is they seem to be more concerned in making prototype for wows and likes. As I understand Optimus is heading, when ready,to Mass production even for domestic use. This if true is far more interesting than anything seen before.

Edited by Poncho_Peanatus
Just needed to correct few typos

On 10/1/2022 at 9:04 PM, Tatetopa said:

Who do you think will own all of those, the warehouse workers or the warehouse owners?

Owners of course, and taking in consideration that they don't need wages and beside recharging time they don't need sleep, they can work non stop 24/7 day and night. The warehouse won't even need constant illumination just a sensor if somebody get inside. The profit are going to be ginourmous.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 5:20 AM, joc said:

I know.  Ho hum now...but the dogs...China didn't build that...they just copied it from Boston Dynamics ...like they copy everything.  Who wants to listen to a humanoid robot sing...when you can hire a humanoid robot to play Beethoven's  5th flawlessly at your wedding party? Before man ever steps foot on Mar's, there will  no doubt be a working colony of Optimus Astronauts.  Just saying.  The Hare didn't win the race...the Tortoise did!  ;)

So Blue Origin?